Movie soundtracks. What do you recommend?
Mar 3, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #76 of 106
Stop Making Sense - Talking heads. Just great!

What? It's a movie.
tongue.gif

Mar 4, 2003 at 10:37 PM Post #77 of 106
Gangs of New York is great soundtrack just for the 19th century music
Gladiator while not a very original score is very good sndrk
Requiem for Dream is great too
Queen of the Dammed: Creepy but good
---Oldies---
Excalibur: The source for some of the gladiator music
Superman the Movie: First Movie I saw on the big screen at 2 yrs old
Bettle juice: Day-O!!
Indian Jones
Empire of the Sun
Lost Boys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #78 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by sliberman
My recommendations:

3) Clockwork Orange (Wendy Carlos version)

I almost missed out on this. Saw a copy in the library and decided to check it out. Played it back on my office minisystem, at office volume, and thought "eh, no big deal."

But just for the hell of it, I gave it another spin, this time on my big rig.

I really wouldn't call this great music but MAN IS THIS DISC COOL.

Gotta get my own copy.

Mar 9, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #79 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by zowie
I almost missed out on this. Saw a copy in the library and decided to check it out. Played it back on my office minisystem, at office volume, and thought "eh, no big deal."

But just for the hell of it, I gave it another spin, this time on my big rig.

I really wouldn't call this great music but MAN IS THIS DISC COOL.

Gotta get my own copy.

Did you audition the original film music
or the fully-electronic Wendy Carlos version (http://www.wendycarlos.com/+wcco.html)?

Mar 9, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #80 of 106
hi guys, i dont know if this has been discussed but, do you like the daredevil soundtrack? i just got it and its pretty good. my only complaint is track number 9, im not going to try to spell their name
tongue.gif
, has WAY WAY WAY too much bass. do you feel the same, or is it just me and my kinda crappy phones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #81 of 106
Well, if you're feeling adventurous, there's Kenji Kawai's score for Ghost in the Shell. Mostly an eerie collection of tubular bells, gongs, etc. Very cool. The main title song is offered in a couple of different arrangements, and it's interesting because it's sung in an ancient Japanese dialect by a chorus of authentic traditional singers. Kawai also throws in a bonus pop-song in Chinese, written as background for the public-market chase scene but almost inaudible on the original film track. It's very cute, and much more typical of Kawai's usual songwriting style.

Mar 10, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #82 of 106
has CLUBBED TO DEATH been mentioned before? it's french. nice movie and the theme song is just great.

About the film's music

"Yolande (the director) came to me in August last year. She knew what kind of music she liked but none of the examples of ,techno' music she had heard gave her the emotion she felt in the clubs or at rave parties. I let her listen to examples of what I consider true techno music, techno with some ,soul', a little bit more melody or voice than usual. At first I was only supposed to do the club scenes, but then the work extended to about a year and a half.

Very gradually the music became one of the actors in the film. I found Yolande to be very open to my work. I had already had experience working with French filmmakers, but they remained quite passive in their choices, looking at old-fashioned music culture, always wanting references. Yolande didn't want to refer to anything, she just wanted the emotions created by music, she had great curiosity. I heard Robdy's piece CLUBBED TO DEATH which is a mix of classical music and electronic ,groove' in a club in London almost a year before I met Yolande. DJ James Lavell (he launched the ,trip hop') was just mixing music and played CLUBBED TO DEATH. I was fascinated by this music. When I played it during the filming, the crew was just as fascinated and gradually the song became the emblematic music for the film, it was finally even given the same title. (...)

There is enormous creativity in the techno movement, new recordings are made all the time, all over the world. (...) Since the music is primarily instrumental it is well received all over the world, there are no national boundaries. You practically hear the same music in London, New York, Tokyo, Paris and Beijing. Everyone communicates via music, that's the positive aspect of a cultural interchange. It is appropriate for the film because its exact location is unclear and the music suggests any number of geographical locations. (...) "

Philippe Cohen-Solal

check it out...

Mar 10, 2003 at 10:34 PM Post #83 of 106
I've got the Doors soundtrack, Go, Bulworth, and Pulp Fiction. I also have the score to T2, but it's not that good. The doors is pretty much a greatest hits compilation with the Carmen Buranda introduction added on. CBI has been beaten to death in movies though, I'd say. Pulp Fiction has a lot of quality oldies.

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #85 of 106
OK, this was a movie that was in & out of theatres faster than it takes France to surrender, but it was a great movie & an amazing soundtrack:

The Commitments - Vol 1 was a LOT better than Vol 2 though. Best part is, the cast did most (if not all) of the music.

Jun 14, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #87 of 106
Lilo and Stitch is a good listen. If you like contemporary Hawaiian style music you won't be disappointed. The Kamehameha Schools' Children's Chorus is very good and makes me homesick. I even like Wynonna's version of Burning Love.

Yes, I have the DVD. Not that I have to post a reason, but I just visualize Tia Carrere as Nani and sit back and relax.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #88 of 106
Man, old thread...I think I'll toss in my opinion anyways. ^_^ Alright, lemme see here... <starts picking through his collection>

City of Lost Children (Angelo Badalamenti)
Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
Cutthroat Island (John Debney)
Dances with Wolves (John Barry)
Dinosaur (James Newton Howard)
Dragonheart (Randy Edelman)
Edward Scissorhands (Danny Elfman)
Gladiator (Hans Zimmer)
Great Expectations (Patrick Doyle)
Heaven & Earth (Kitaro)
Henry V (Patrick Doyle)
Hours, The (Philip Glass)
Hunt for Red October, The (Basil Poledouris)
Interview with a Vampire (Elliot Goldenthal)
Jurassic Park (John Williams)
Kiss of the Dragon (Craig Armstrong)
Koyaanisqatsi (Philip Glass)
Last Emperor (Ryuichi Sakamoto)
Legends of the Fall (James Horner)
Les Misérables (Basil Poledouris)
Lion in Winter, The (John Barry)
Merlin (Trevor Jones)
Mishima (Philip Glass)
Mists of Avalon, The (Lee Holdridge)
Out of Africa (John Barry)
Pan Tandeusz (Wocjiech Kilar)
Passion: The Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)
Plunket & MacLeane (Craig Armstrong)
Portrait of a Lady (Wocjiech Kilar)
Russia House, The (Jerry Goldsmith)
Schindler's List (John Williams)
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (John Williams)
Titus (Elliot Goldenthal)
Waterworld (James Newton Howard)
Willow (James Horner)

...phew. Too much cut and paste. Yea, those are some of my favorites out of the ~100 I have. Have at 'em.

Jun 18, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #90 of 106
Here is a couple of soundtracks from chick flicks:

In the Mood for Love (HK film) it has a rare track by Nat King Cole which I like a lot and the whole CD is very moody.

English Patient, I didn' like the movie all that much but the music is great.

Currently I am listening to the Pianoist and the Hours. Both great soundtracks. I can't believe LOTR only came up once in this thread (quickly glanced through the whole thing). I am not like an obcessed fan of the movie but I thought the soundtracks are great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back