Movie soundtracks. What do you recommend?
Feb 17, 2003 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 106
  1. Gladiator
  2. Patton / Tora! Tora! Tora!
  3. Patriot Games
  4. The Patriot
  5. O Brother Where Art Thou? (not an orchestral score)
  6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
  7. Princess Mononoke
  8. Princess Mononoke Symphonic Suite
  9. Lord of the Rings
  10. Braveheart
  11. Black Hawk Down

Feb 17, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #4 of 106
"Last of the Mohicans" is pretty intense. "Braveheart" for a little Scottish bagpipe action.

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 106
I'm listening to the "Requiem for a Dream" soundtrack right now. It's an awesome mix of electronica and strings, featuring the Kronos Quartet.

I'd also recommend watching the film; it makes the soundtrack so much more enjoyable.

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 106
I completely agree with the Braveheart recommendation, its FAR superior to the soundtrack for Titanic that garnered the Oscar. Its is certainly amongst the most moving soundtracks that I know of.
Two other overlooked soundtracks are "A River Runs Through It, and especially "Legends Of The Fall".
The old Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns had some incredible soundtracks too, by the brilliant composer, Ennio Morricone, especially "Once Upon A Time In The West" which was nominated for an Academy Award.

Feb 17, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 106
agreeing with Jude, I second Gladiator, Braveheart, and LotR. I don't have the actual soundtracks, but the music in each of these movies was great.

Gattaca also had a good soundtrack.

Just for kicks, get the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City... lots of 80s crap that we've all tried to forget, but simply couldn't.

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 106
The Mission
The Crow
The Omen
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
The Red Violin
Chocolat
Run Lola Run
Groove

Among the ones already mentioned

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #11 of 106
i second Zanth, "the Mission" is one of the best soundtrack ever.

I like the soundtrack of "black hawk down" too, Hans Zimmer stuff is often quite good. And the soundtrack of Apocalypse Now is nice too.

Feb 17, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
....Repo Man....

I laughed as I saw your post, as I actually thought of listing this one! Definitely not orchestral
wink.gif
, I would highly suggest anyone considering picking it up, based simply on the recommendation(s) of it in this thread, listen to samples of it first, as it certainly won't be one I'd imagine would be widely embraced. I love it, though. Good one, SBomm!

Feb 17, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 106
My favs (in no particular order)

- The Rock, Crimson Tide, Gladiator, The Peacemaker, Backdraft, Broken Arrow (Hans Zimmer)
- A Beautiful Mind, Sneakers, Titanic, Apollo 13 (James Horner)
- Scent of a woman (Thomas Newman - Excellent!!)
- The Big Blue (Brillant!), The Fifth Element, Goldeneye (A lot better than it's reputation!) (Eric Serra)
- Mars Attacks, Proof of Life (Danny Elfman)
- The Tailor of Panama (Shaun Davey)
- Gosford Park (Patrick Doyle)
- Das Boot (Klaus Doldinger)

/U.

Feb 17, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 106
Dark City

Institute Benjamenta (I don't actually own this one yet, but it is done by Lech Jankowski who does most of The Brothers Quay films.)

Feb 17, 2003 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 106
Easy: Philip Glass's "Koyaanisqatsi" soundtrack. This has quickly become one of my favorite albums ever. The soundtrack transcends music and becomes more of a religious experience for me. I can't explain it.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back