Movie soundtracks. What do you recommend?
Jun 19, 2003 at 5:02 PM Post #92 of 106
I'd have to say my favorite soundtracks in no particular order are from:

Gettysburg
Glory
Gladiator
The Hunt for Red October
Star Trek VI

Jun 20, 2003 at 2:08 PM Post #94 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by waylman
not sure if this has been mentioned, but Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is a great soundtrack

Yup, and for once, the movie quotes on this soundtrack are actually funny. So, go get it (....it's a deal, it's a steal, it's....
biggrin.gif
)

/U.

Jun 20, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #97 of 106
V/A -- The Shining (Kubrick's version).

*Every soundtrack ever written* by Toru Takemitsu, including Ran.

Prokofiev -- Ivan the Terrible.

Penderecki -- The Saragossa Manuscript.

Every soundtrack by Alfred Schnittke and Dmitri Shostakovich.

Artemev -- Solaris (original version).

Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday -- New Orleans (but *only* their performances).

Miles Davis -- (A Tribute to) Jack Johnson.

Duke Ellington -- Symphony in Black.

Peter Maxwell Davies and the Fires of London -- The Devils.

Ennio Morricone -- The Stendhal Syndrome.

Humphrey Searle -- The Haunting (original version).

Anton Karas -- The Third Man.

George Auric -- Blood of a Poet.

Bruno Nicolai -- The Case of the Bloody Iris.

The Goblins -- Suspiria.

Forbidden Planet (theremin glee).

Quincy Jones -- The Pawnbroker (because you can hear in that soundtrack how much compositional talent he chose to throw away).

To the guy who mentioned Storytelling: I'm not a fan of Belle and Sebastian, but I happen to love the movie itself (and everything else by Todd Solondz).

I, too, am a fan of the soundworld of Requiem for a Dream -- but that's not because I'm thrilled with the soundtrack. What impresses me is the amazingly detailed use of foley effects and transitional audio cues throughout the film. The attention to sonic detail in that film is unparalleled.

And while I don't love the new Cinematic Orchestra album by itself, I'm anxious to hear how it sounds combined with the film, The Man with the Movie Camera.

Jun 25, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #98 of 106
wojziech kilar:

dracula (coppola)
la neuvieme porte (polanski)
and his best: der könig der letzten tage

kilar is a polish composer specializing in dark, brooding, moody yet at the same time beautiful "classic" film scores (mostly for polish director andrzej wajda, whose best known movie would be danton, i guess)

kilar was originally cast as composer for lord of the rings. i'm sure he would have done an even better job than shore.

Jun 26, 2003 at 8:48 AM Post #99 of 106
Dracula has good soundtrack

Matrix reloaded: throw the first cd to rubbish pin and listen the second CD only.

Jun 26, 2003 at 7:31 PM Post #101 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by mememememecoughpianissimodeath
And while I don't love the new Cinematic Orchestra album by itself, I'm anxious to hear how it sounds combined with the film, The Man with the Movie Camera.

I'll have to read up on this, but Biosphere has also written a soundtrack for Man with a Movie Camera, which I happen to own and prefer to a lot of his other work. People who like his work on Nordheim Transformed are bound to like this soundtrack as well.

Whenever the Cinematic Orchestra DVD is released, I'll buy it, A/B both versions and bleat what I ken.

Jun 27, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #102 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew-Spaltro
I heard that Star Trek Wrath of Kahn is a decent soundtrack. Any other recommendations?

Ghost and the Darkness
Titus
Before the Rain (by ANASTASIA)
Sorcerer (Tangerine Dream)

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:50 AM Post #103 of 106
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
I'll have to read up on this, but Biosphere has also written a soundtrack for Man with a Movie Camera...

As has In The Nursery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back