Mouse -Fi
Jan 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #451 of 616
Well, I never liked ergo mice when I felt them. Might be caused by unfamiliarity with the style, but I do like the look of the Razer Imperiator, I think it is. The ergonomic one that doesn't have massive curving. Also the new one with the modular sides. My brother has a R.A.T. 5, I don't like it.

I actually run a lower DPI, high polling rate, on a big hard mouse mat.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #452 of 616
Im sorry I havent been on here in a while.... but the battery does alright. About 15+ hours of constant gaming. I have reverted to just leaving the cable in because im too lazy to put it on the stand to charge it :)

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #453 of 616
Nice thread. I'd like to weigh in with my opinion. 

I have found that any decent laser mouse works as an effective gaming tool. I've known players to use old school Microsoft Intelli-point mice and absolutely raked the competition. Whatever your peripheral is, if you use it long enough, you will be a master of it if it meets your basic comfort requirements. "Gaming" mice do not equate to better performance. 

I've used a variety of gaming mice from both Logitech and Razer. I could see where some might prefer one over the other, but both were great at being mice. Personally, I was a DeathAdder fan due to the ambidextrous design. I use a claw grip on my mouse. I want something that is equal in size at all points, otherwise a claw grip is distributed unevenly. So, that is my requirement. 

Aside from that, I decided I wanted on the fly DPI switching. If I'm doing some photoshop work, being able to macro a key to knock my DPI down to 400 for precision manipulation was essential. However, gaming mice often feature teflon feet and mouse pads that provide exception glide. I disliked this feature. Having a mouse pad that "sticks" a little bit as a move the mouse across it reduces micro movement errors. I found the same to be true for gaming, where a little bit of friction allowed me to have greater feel of the "road" and end point for my pointer, whereas an ultra slick surface provided no tactile feedback, as though I was on ice.

My point is this; no matter what the long list of beneficial bullet points is for a product of this nature, it doesn't mean you are supposed to adhere to them, or that they will make you superior. Knowing what works best for you does, not what someone else tells you should.

To that extent, I've found the Roccat Sensei [Raw] rubberdized mouse to be perfect for my needs. Ambidextrous design of ample weight and size, on the fly DPI switching, two buttons on both the right and left side of the mouse provide back and forward arrows for browsers and additional macros, as well as additional commands in games directly from the mouse. A five button mouse is my minimum requirement, and this one has eight in an unobtrusive, equidistant design.

The best mouse is one which helps your workflow and disappears into your usage as an extension of your limb, not something you are trying to wield. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #455 of 616
+1 MistrDave, good post. I used to be a competitive gamer and comfort is the most important thing about a mouse. Having a quality sensor with 1:1 tracking is a must too. Right now I'm using a Razer Abyssus.

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #456 of 616
SS Sensei here, Been using it for quite some time now and enjoying it. However, if I were to go professional at Battlefield, they might want me to use Armageddon. I've always found that brand quirky.   

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #459 of 616
Nothing beats Logitech mice. Nothing. You can throw them under a bus and they'll still work like new.

Depends on what you’re after. If you want durability and the ability to track on any surface, yeah Logitech is pretty solid. Except for the shoddy Mac driver support. And if you want the best gaming mice. I used Logitech for years but go tired having to wait months after a major OS release for them to get their software working. It shouldn’t be that difficult and it shouldn’t take that long. I’m not a fan for being a second-class citizen when I pay top-dollar for my mice.

So I left for Razer and, oddly, they treat me much better. I get equal time so my mice work as well in OS X as they do in Windows, with the exact same feature-set.

And man how smooth that DeathAdder tracks… I was getting headshot after headshot last night in Far Cry 3.

Feb 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #461 of 616
Quote:
Depends on what you’re after. If you want durability and the ability to track on any surface, yeah Logitech is pretty solid. Except for the shoddy Mac driver support. And if you want the best gaming mice. I used Logitech for years but go tired having to wait months after a major OS release for them to get their software working. It shouldn’t be that difficult and it shouldn’t take that long. I’m not a fan for being a second-class citizen when I pay top-dollar for my mice.

So I left for Razer and, oddly, they treat me much better. I get equal time so my mice work as well in OS X as they do in Windows, with the exact same feature-set.

And man how smooth that DeathAdder tracks… I was getting headshot after headshot last night in Far Cry 3.

I did love my DeathAdder, but that is one mouse out of their entire lineup. Plus it's not like it's hard to get headshot after headshot in a single player game. I could do that with a $15 Dynex mouse (no offense). I've used pretty much their whole host of products (mostly bought, some received from tournaments as freebies), but they seriously have the worst QC in the industry. For every bad Logitech product, there are a bunch of bad Razer ones.

It's not even like I hate Razer. I try to like them, especially since they're the only company who actively tries to cater to left-handed people, of which I am naturally (left-handed DeathAdder was my second love after the MX310, and now they're making a left-handed Naga). I've had to learn to use right-handed mice, and now I'm pretty ambidextrous, but it still feels more natural to use a mouse on my left hand.

But yes, I do try to like them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent over a grand on their products in the past 2 years. They have some great designs, especially with stuff like the Naga. But it's simply not worth having to replace their products ever few months despite treating it like a baby, while I could throw my Logitech at a wall and it'll still work perfectly.

And I agree about Logitech's drivers sucking (especially with their headsets), but Razer's moving in that direction. Cloud-based drivers are a horrible idea.

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #462 of 616
I did love my DeathAdder, but that is one mouse out of their entire lineup. Plus it's not like it's hard to get headshot after headshot in a single player game. I could do that with a $15 Dynex mouse (no offense). I've used pretty much their whole host of products (mostly bought, some received from tournaments as freebies), but they seriously have the worst QC in the industry. For every bad Logitech product, there are a bunch of bad Razer ones.

It's not even like I hate Razer. I try to like them, especially since they're the only company who actively tries to cater to left-handed people, of which I am naturally (left-handed DeathAdder was my second love after the MX310, and now they're making a left-handed Naga). I've had to learn to use right-handed mice, and now I'm pretty ambidextrous, but it still feels more natural to use a mouse on my left hand.

But yes, I do try to like them. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent over a grand on their products in the past 2 years. They have some great designs, especially with stuff like the Naga. But it's simply not worth having to replace their products ever few months despite treating it like a baby, while I could throw my Logitech at a wall and it'll still work perfectly.

And I agree about Logitech's drivers sucking (especially with their headsets), but Razer's moving in that direction. Cloud-based drivers are a horrible idea.

Who said anything about a single-player game? FC3 has co-op and multiplayer. And getting a head-shot while doing a run-and-gun in any multiplayer-scenario is rarely easy. :wink:

I've had my DeathAdder Black for... 2 years? And another at work that's just over a year old so I don't know what you're doing to your mice. I don't "baby" mine but I don't throw them agains a wall, either. And while my home-mouse only gets used an average of 3-4 hours a day my work mouse is 8 solid hours every week day so... yeah. I haven't had a problem with durability, yet.

I don't see a problem with their cloud sync. I do that with a number of apps already through Dropbox and the result is the same. The stuff is still local so if you don't have a net connection it works with what's local. Otherwise it checks for updates to your local files, downloads them, then uses them. It's just like the original system except now you can easily move your presets from one system to another. Given I have three separate operating systems that I use every day I'm rather a fan and have never had a problem with it.

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #463 of 616
Quote:
I use the Logitech G9x and Performance Mouse MX

+1 for the G9x, but not the Performance MX. I found the Performance MX mouse to be way too heavy to be convenient, and while it is very nicely shaped, my smaller hand felt cramped even after 15 minutes due to its size.

I personally use the G9x for FPS and swap over to the Naga Epic for MMOs and Action RPGs.

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #464 of 616
Quote:
Who said anything about a single-player game? FC3 has co-op and multiplayer. And getting a head-shot while doing a run-and-gun in any multiplayer-scenario is rarely easy.
wink.gif

I've had my DeathAdder Black for... 2 years? And another at work that's just over a year old so I don't know what you're doing to your mice. I don't "baby" mine but I don't throw them agains a wall, either. And while my home-mouse only gets used an average of 3-4 hours a day my work mouse is 8 solid hours every week day so... yeah. I haven't had a problem with durability, yet.

I don't see a problem with their cloud sync. I do that with a number of apps already through Dropbox and the result is the same. The stuff is still local so if you don't have a net connection it works with what's local. Otherwise it checks for updates to your local files, downloads them, then uses them. It's just like the original system except now you can easily move your presets from one system to another. Given I have three separate operating systems that I use every day I'm rather a fan and have never had a problem with it.

FC3's gunplay is extremely easy. It's part of a generation of dumbed-down FPS with recoil tailored for gamepads (read: easier). Not exactly difficult when you're used to old school FPS, like CounterStrike, with actual recoil, rather than being able to spray a watermelon-sized target accurately at well over 20 meters.

That said, I've said multiple times I haven't had a problem with the DeathAdder. If you'd read past "omg he hates the brand I'm a total fanboy for," you'll see I've used almost their entire line of peripherals.

As far as Cloud drivers go, I much prefer internally-stored configs that are saved into the mouse itself. It's faster and far more reliable.

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #465 of 616
FC3's gunplay is extremely easy. It's part of a generation of dumbed-down FPS with recoil tailored for gamepads (read: easier). Not exactly difficult when you're used to old school FPS, like CounterStrike, with actual recoil, rather than being able to spray a watermelon-sized target accurately at well over 20 meters.

That said, I've said multiple times I haven't had a problem with the DeathAdder. If you'd read past "omg he hates the brand I'm a total fanboy for," you'll see I've used almost their entire line of peripherals.

As far as Cloud drivers go, I much prefer internally-stored configs that are saved into the mouse itself. It's faster and far more reliable.

You're quite hyperbolic, aren't you? I merely responded to your comments about reliability by stating my experience was very different and that I assumed you just really beat on your mice since with normal use I'd gotten long lives out of multiple DeathAdders.

I'll skip over the fanboy part because I loath their headsets and very strongly dislike their keyboards, but you weren't to know that.

As for cloud vs. local, it is slightly faster, though I wouldn't agree that it's more reliable. Assuming you have an internet connection (a leap, I know) then you would have to log-in once and then wait for the download to happen, which is slower than an over-wire transfer. Of course, you're more limited with on-board memory and it does make the mice significantly more expensive for everyone even though it's a feature used by a subset of users. But more reliable? In order to set it up once you have to download software from the internet anyway, so you already have access. Once it's set up it works just as normal. The only "reliability" part is if you change something on one computer and the other is currently disconnected from the internet. Sure, that could happen, in theory, but what about other users who have multiple complete setups who won't take their mice home every time they make a change? The internet is significantly more convenient.

So, for the record, very little of this had to do with any fanboyism on my part and more to do with my disagreeing with your statements as facts. But, as XKCD put it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back