Mouse -Fi
Nov 19, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #106 of 616

Quote:

Very cool.  I can live with a noisier scrollwheel, but the buttons get more use and can be more disturbing to the user and neighbors.

Do the buttons produce any clicking sound?  I have the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 5500 Revolution which includes the MX Revolution mouse and it's definitely not silent.  Have another Logitech mouse which has the shape of the M500, and it's relatively quiet though the battery life is poor.

Haven't had much luck with Logitech as their buttons are really levers and they produce a high pitch clicky sound.  Design-wise and ergonomics are great, but haven't found a model with quiet buttons.  As for their keyboards, I went through four Logitechs before I found the K800 to be the quietest.  Not that the preceding keyboards were not quiet, but they have a short shelf life before they become increasingly louder, especially the spacebars.

I find Logitech to be unreliable in terms of their buttons, had to operate on two of my Logitech mice to fix their left buttons.
I also had some Logitech keyboards and they were also lousy.

I have learned my lesson now and stay away from Logitech.

but for silent buttons, I too have never found a silent mouse. As long as it has buttons, it has some kind of clicking noise. Some are noisier than others.

Nov 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #107 of 616
Logitech is a marketing-driven company with flashy packaging and their products perform well out of the box.  But a few months down the road, the keys and buttons get louder so durability is not their forte.  Better components and a concerted effort to design products with a 'quiet' focus are required as consumers are more tech savvy and tired of the buy-and-dispose consumables culture of replacing mice and keyboards every few months, year.

I ended up purchasing the Quietsmooth Wireless Mouse and this mouse delivers on its quiet promise.  I asked Greg, the owner of Quiet Mouse, to select a mouse with the quietest left button and it's near silent.  The right button is more audible, but I don't use right-button clicks as much.  The scrollwheel has a little friction to it for scrolling, but remains quiet along with using it as a button.  While I miss the back button on the MS 5000 mouse, I don't miss the noise it produces.  I thought the MS mouse was relatively quiet, but it's a noise maker compared to the Quiet Mouse.  This mouse is a great companion for the computer audiophiles that prefer listening to their music than the clicking of their mice.  Only problem now is that my Logitech K800 wireless keyboard doesn't sound so 'whisper-quiet' compared to my Quietsmooth Wireless!

I also considered the Nexus SM-9000, but decided to go with Quiet Mouse as Greg patiently answered all my questions and was a pleasure to deal with.  I may pick up the Nexus mouse for curiosity's sake and for another computer.  Just hoping my Quietsmooth Wireless has a longer quiet click-life than the MS and Logitechs so only time will tell.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #108 of 616
I sold my Logitech MX Performance, mainly because I like to play FPS games on weekends, and I find that I have to change batteries constantly, the extra buttons are useless in games and I really like the feel of my friend's Razer. 

So I ordered a Deathadder Black Edition:)

One thing I don't understand is that how does the DPI thing work??? I mean, I can set the sensitivity high on my computer and even very cheap mouses are super sensitive...

As with the quality of Logitech products, I think they are great! I have a normal optical Logitech mouse I bought back in 2005 (I think, but I'm sure it's really old!) and it still works! I've used it for about 4years then switched to the MX Performance, and now I am using that mouse until my Razer arrives.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #109 of 616
I have an MX Revolution...  the battery is nearing the endo of it's usefull life.. only get 2 days out of a full charge now!! is there any way of replacing it or do I resign it to mouse heaven?

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #110 of 616

Quote:
I sold my Logitech MX Performance, mainly because I like to play FPS games on weekends, and I find that I have to change batteries constantly, the extra buttons are useless in games and I really like the feel of my friend's Razer. 

So I ordered a Deathadder Black Edition:)

One thing I don't understand is that how does the DPI thing work??? I mean, I can set the sensitivity high on my computer and even very cheap mouses are super sensitive...

As with the quality of Logitech products, I think they are great! I have a normal optical Logitech mouse I bought back in 2005 (I think, but I'm sure it's really old!) and it still works! I've used it for about 4years then switched to the MX Performance, and now I am using that mouse until my Razer arrives.

You can change the DPI in game so it's fast when you want to look around, but slow when you want to snipe. Of course, this means pressing buttons to change the DPI but I never do that. I've set it at 850 DPI I believe and turned the sensitivity on Windows down, and I use the DPI buttons on my G400 as either weapon switching, Steam chat or in game chat.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #111 of 616
Razer Mamba. Beautiful to behold and to hold!

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #112 of 616

Quote:
You can change the DPI in game so it's fast when you want to look around, but slow when you want to snipe. Of course, this means pressing buttons to change the DPI but I never do that. I've set it at 850 DPI I believe and turned the sensitivity on Windows down, and I use the DPI buttons on my G400 as either weapon switching, Steam chat or in game chat.

I don't understand whats the difference between setting the DPI high with the sensitivity on your computer down, and setting the DPI low with the computer sensitivity turned up???

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #113 of 616
yliu: I... I'm not sure there is one.

Anywho. I have the Logitech Performance MX, too.
Actually, i bought my first one just over a year ago. It was defective from day one, and was really picky on which surfaces it works on.
I only got around to returning it a week ago, and got my new, fully functional one today.

I bought it for the buttons. By default, i have the top three do Back/Forward and ctrl+ (resizes columns in explorer and other apps).
But i use the button under my thumb to change them back and forth between those functions and media playback buttons.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #114 of 616
Quote:
Just got a G400. I tried the Logitech Gaming software but unfortunately it makes the cursor jump around quite a bit which is very aggravating. I ended up not using the software but now I don't get the custom set DPI and mouse buttons.
frown.gif

I don't use the software for my MX518, and have even gone far enough as to remove mouse accel via regedit.
Yet my sensitivity buttons work. Just not the pseudo-alt tab button.

Low sensitivity? What games do you play?

If he's anything like me, FPS i'd assume.

Steelseries Xai should be here any day.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #115 of 616

Quote:
Wireless mice > wired mice for gaming. The wire gets in the way.

There are lots of mice with great wireless performance that offer excellent tracking for games.  We have the Roccat Pyra, Logitech G7, Cyborg Rat 9. Have not tried the Razer Mamba. I don't like Logitech or Razer though, Rat9 is the best mouse in my book.

Recently swapped from a Gigabyte GM6990 (I think it was) to a Microsoft Sidewinder X8. The shape took a bit of adjusting to but im quite liking it now. Like you said having no wire to drag around the place has made it so much easier to use. Worth a look if you want one of the cheapest wireless gaming mice around but only if you palm your mouse.

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #116 of 616

Quote:
yliu: I... I'm not sure there is one.

Anywho. I have the Logitech Performance MX, too.
Actually, i bought my first one just over a year ago. It was defective from day one, and was really picky on which surfaces it works on.
I only got around to returning it a week ago, and got my new, fully functional one today.

I bought it for the buttons. By default, i have the top three do Back/Forward and ctrl+ (resizes columns in explorer and other apps).
But i use the button under my thumb to change them back and forth between those functions and media playback buttons.

I have a mac, so maybe thats why it's different.

I bought the MX performance for the buttons and the comfort, but I realized that I only use the left and right clicks and the buttons are not programmable in games. So I bought the Razer Deathadder, which just arrived today, and I really like it. It does certainly feel more precise in games, but I still need some time to get used to it.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #117 of 616
Quote:
I don't use the software for my MX518, and have even gone far enough as to remove mouse accel via regedit.
Yet my sensitivity buttons work. Just not the pseudo-alt tab button.

If he's anything like me, FPS i'd assume.

Steelseries Xai should be here any day.

Yeah, it works, but only switches between 3 set DPI. I ended up reinstalling the software and luckily have no problems with tracking now. I wanted the software only so I could set the DPI buttons as different keys with different functions (weapon swap, mic, etc).

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #118 of 616
Razer Deathadder here. I've decreased playing after buying it but it's nice to use everyday! I'd recommend it to anyone, even for a casual user (email etc.)

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #119 of 616
I had a Deathadder briefly. Really nice mouse, too big for my hands, though.

The Zowie EC2 is a fantastic replacement. Feels almost exactly like a DA, but about 20% (or so) smaller.

Picked up a Xornet recently, too, for a laugh, which I was really impressed with.

(I'll probably end up giving one to the wife when Guild Wars 2 comes out. :wink: )

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #120 of 616
Has anyone noticed the absolutely appalling mouse curve on Mac OS X? This deeply upsets me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back