Motorcycle-Fi
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #346 of 500

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #347 of 500
Certainly special, not that pretty IMO. I wonder how it rides without a front fork.
In any case, I'd happily settle for this one: best racer on the planet atm (highest power, best handling and most advanced technology), lower price and German craftsmanship instead of Italian.

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #348 of 500
Quote:
Certainly special, not that pretty IMO. I wonder how it rides without a front fork.
In any case, I'd happily settle for this one: best racer on the planet atm (highest power, best handling and most advanced technology), lower price and German craftsmanship instead of Italian.

It looks great, but "my" vyrus is lighter AND more powerful (211Bhp/158kg wet)...

Dec 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #349 of 500
Pierobon Hstreet (road version of the F042) :

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #351 of 500
Quote:
It looks great, but "my" vyrus is lighter AND more powerful (211Bhp/158kg wet)...

OK, this means war! 
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

I can't seem to find dry weight for the Vyrus but the HP4 is 169kg dry (without optional competition package which has just about every piece of plastic replaced by carbon, so it'll a be a lot lighter still). Careful with wet weight, sometimes it's fluids included but not gasoline, sometimes it does include gasoline as well as other fluids. Depends on how honest the manufacturur is. BMW adds 30 with full tank.
Also, while less weight is an advantage it can also be too light thus decreasing stability at high speed. 

For horsepower some manufacturers give crankshaft power instead of rear wheel power. The drivetrain, be it chain, belt or shaft, always takes away a nice amount of power. Also, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate, some give lower numbers than the bike really has. Combine the two in worst and best case scenario and you get the idea ...
Do note that 211bhp is for a tuned Vyrus though, the standard bike has 183bhp.
Dunno about Bimota but BMW gives low value rear wheel power.
To compare with a Ducati panigale S: 
- BMW claims 193bhp and 112Nm and delivers 200bhp and 113Nm with the HP4.
- Ducati claims 195bhp and 132Nm and delivers 186bhp and 127Nm with the Panigale.

And most importantly, how does the bike handle?
Not all reports are in favor of the Tesi's suspension (upon which the Vyrus's is based). I quote:

"For many proponents of two-wheeled alternative thought, the issue of finding a better way to hang a bike's steering wheel has been a matter of debate ever since BMW gave us the first telescopic fork almost 70 years ago. Apart from the brave-but-ultimately unsuccessful 1993-'94 Yamaha GTS1000 with its James Parker-developed RADD front end, it's been a regrettable fact of commercial life that no major manufacturer--except, inevitably, BMW--has dared to be different. The perceived wisdom is that nothing works better than a conventional fork, and anyone trying to prove otherwise is foolish, deranged or stubborn.
Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_0608_2006_vyrus_985_c3_4v/viewall.html#ixzz2GM83osdO"

Even BMW who uses Telelever for the front and Paralever for the rear suspensions of all models (except the cheaper 1 and 2-in-line models due to cost considerations) opted for a conventional fork with upside-down suspension for their race machine.

So, I'll get me a HP4 and I'll meet you with your Vyrus in Croix-en-Ternois for a duel! 
biggrin.gif

Only one long straight and a hell of a lot of 90 and 180 degrees there, ideal to test suspension and handling. And it's about halfway inbetween us. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #352 of 500
Quote:

OK, this means war! 
evil_smiley.gif
wink_face.gif

Careful with wet weight, sometimes it's fluids included but not gasoline, sometimes it does include gasoline as well as other fluids. Depends on how honest the manufacturur is. BMW adds 30 with full tank.

I agree, but the vyrus' weight includes gasoline.

For horsepower some manufacturers give crankshaft power instead of rear wheel power. The drivetrain, be it chain, belt or shaft, always takes away a nice amount of power. Also, some manufacturers tend to exaggerate, some give lower numbers than the bike really has. Combine the two in worst and best case scenario and you get the idea ...
Do note that 211bhp is for a tuned Vyrus though, the standard bike has 183bhp.
Dunno about Bimota but BMW gives low value rear wheel power.
To compare with a Ducati panigale S: 
- BMW claims 193bhp and 112Nm and delivers 200bhp and 113Nm with the HP4.
- Ducati claims 195bhp and 132Nm and delivers 186bhp and 127Nm with the Panigale.

I agree, but I have no way to know if vyrus is telling the truth or not..

And most importantly, how does the bike handle?
Not all reports are in favor of the Tesi's suspension (upon which the Vyrus's is based). I quote:

Well, I've read that exact article and the guy also says :

"OK, so how did Rodorigo and company succeed in reinventing the Tesi? "In fact, we started again with a clean sheet of paper,""

"Everything about the Vyrus seems refined, even delicate, and at first I struggled to reprogram my senses. But after a handful of laps gradually picking up speed, it suddenly clicked--and I remembered the mindset you must adopt to get the best out of a hub-center motorcycle: Hold the bars lightly and stay off the brakes until what seems suicidally late. The separation of steering from suspension is the biggest asset of such a front end. There's essentially no dive, and the suspension eats up bumps even when you're leaned over on the brakes. This bike is so confidence-inspiring and well balanced there seems no limit to how hard you can push it in corners. Well, there is one: Such treatment wears out the stock Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas very quickly. After around 50 laps, the front tire was well worn and the rear not much better"

"This is an exquisitely conceived, finely detailed and brilliantly executed motorcycle, a genuine work of modern art. "

"For many proponents of two-wheeled alternative thought, the issue of finding a better way to hang a bike's steering wheel has been a matter of debate ever since BMW gave us the first telescopic fork almost 70 years ago. Apart from the brave-but-ultimately unsuccessful 1993-'94 Yamaha GTS1000 with its James Parker-developed RADD front end, it's been a regrettable fact of commercial life that no major manufacturer--except, inevitably, BMW--has dared to be different. The perceived wisdom is that nothing works better than a conventional fork, and anyone trying to prove otherwise is foolish, deranged or stubborn.

The Vyrus 985 C3 4V is Ascanio Rodorigo's proof of the fallacy of this delusion. It not only looks good, it works.-MC "

So, I'll get me a HP4 and I'll meet you with your Vyrus in Croix-en-Ternois for a duel! 
biggrin.gif

If only I could....

Only one long straight and a hell of a lot of 90 and 180 degrees there, ideal to test suspension and handling. And it's about halfway inbetween us. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #353 of 500
Quote:
If only I could....

No worries, not really my type of bike anyway. The only thing remotely comparable I am interested in is the semisports or sports touring type, like the K1300S HP, a newer version of the K1200RS I have.
Won't buy that one though as I still like the older and rounder looks of my RS better and I put a lot of money into tuning the bike. Also, I believe that in 2013 or 2014 there will be a completely new version of it that will incorporate all the technical stuff the HP4 and new R1200GS LC have. That one I will get as soon as they make it in blue/white.
Still, the HP4 is supersexy though!

K1300S HP:

Feb 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #354 of 500
I'm motorcycle only (no car at all) on a 2005 SV1000s. I crashed it at seventy (and have the ortho hardware to prove it). After healing, I ripped the fairing off and installed a headlight bulb kit, LED blinkers, and bar-end mirrors as well as rehabbing the rest. The insurance company was going to total it as Act of God but couldn't prove I hit the deer (and I honestly probably didn't - just lost traction trying to avoid it) - so I left the paint marker 'toe tag' on her...it's slowly wearing off the gas tank.

Mar 4, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #355 of 500
Huh...not many bikers on head-fi?

Apr 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #357 of 500
Quote:
Huh...not many bikers on head-fi?

I'd love to go motorcycle only but its really tough in michigan :)   

I am in the market for a power cruiser like the yamaha warrior, vtx 1800, mean streak ,etc.  I find them way more comfortable and they make going slow actually fun.  When I had my 02 busa, i just wanted to go 140 everywhere.  Not only that but insurance on another hayabusa is about $2000 a year for me.  

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #358 of 500
Used last sunday for playing outside with my vmax.
160km with coffee and applepie halfway :) With temperatures around 20 degr. C and mostly clear sky it was one of the first real beautifull days of the year, a real treat to cruise the countryside.

Motorcycling; The art of getting from point A to point A in a very elaborate way :)

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #359 of 500
Quote:
Motorcycling; The art of getting from point A to point A in a very elaborate way :)

Or a very efficient way. I bought my GS500 back when I had a V8 truck and the bike averages 50mpg and the truck was closer to 15 lol 

PS. Point A to Point A? So motorcycling gets you nowhere?

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #360 of 500
Quote:
Or a very efficient way. I bought my GS500 back when I had a V8 truck and the bike averages 50mpg and the truck was closer to 15 lol 

PS. Point A to Point A? So motorcycling gets you nowhere?

In a way :)
I ment the cruising around^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back