Motorcycle-Fi
Mar 23, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #317 of 494
Well Okay twist my arm
Funny story, It was on a wonderful autumn evening.  I had been having some fun with the twisties up and down mount Seymour outside North Vancouver. After an hour or so of scuffing elbows and knees, I came to the rest stop to re-pick up my gal at the time, it was the style for the non-squidly types to moor themselves there whilst  the other halves were out and about you see. So I picked her up to take ourselves back to the house, but instead she wanted to ride to the top of Mount Seymour where the ski lodges where so she could take some photos first before going back home. We went , then turned around and went back down.
Well, while going back down I kind of got back into the swing of things in the twists and all that you know, back into the moment as it were. and I kind of forgot that she was on the back, you see I usually didn't do the twisties hard with a passenger right, 
so I got into this one hairpin corner at some speed and all was going great, until she lurched up to see better towards the ocean....

no traction , straight inertia out the backside of the curve

.....It wasn't a cliff so much as a vast blank drop off into a canyon like crevice of about 600 ft. 
We both flew about fifty feet straight out then about 40ft down through at tree and into some prickly bushes and she landed on top of me then we rolled , into one of the last few trees before the sheer drop off. 
Now here is the funny bit, I saw my beautiful sweet lovely bike during that unsuccessful attempt of mine at flight,
My bike flew past over my upside down legs , missed the tree that I fell down through, and sailed like the bird I wasn't , out and out and then I suppose down down down down, because by then I was quite busy with some other things. 

I never did find my bike, though I hiked out there a few times over the next couple of years that  I  lived in Vancouver.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #318 of 494

Quote:
Well Okay twist my arm
Funny story, It was on a wonderful autumn evening.  I had been having some fun with the twisties up and down mount Seymour outside North Vancouver. After an hour or so of scuffing elbows and knees, I came to the rest stop to re-pick up my gal at the time, it was the style for the non-squidly types to moor themselves there whilst  the other halves were out and about you see. So I picked her up to take ourselves back to the house, but instead she wanted to ride to the top of Mount Seymour where the ski lodges where so she could take some photos first before going back home. We went , then turned around and went back down.
Well, while going back down I kind of got back into the swing of things in the twists and all that you know, back into the moment as it were. and I kind of forgot that she was on the back, you see I usually didn't do the twisties hard with a passenger right, 
so I got into this one hairpin corner at some speed and all was going great, until she lurched up to see better towards the ocean....

no traction , straight inertia out the backside of the curve

.....It wasn't a cliff so much as a vast blank drop off into a canyon like crevice of about 600 ft. 
We both flew about fifty feet straight out then about 40ft down through at tree and into some prickly bushes and she landed on top of me then we rolled , into one of the last few trees before the sheer drop off. 
Now here is the funny bit, I saw my beautiful sweet lovely bike during that unsuccessful attempt of mine at flight,
My bike flew past over my upside down legs , missed the tree that I fell down through, and sailed like the bird I wasn't , out and out and then I suppose down down down down, because by then I was quite busy with some other things. 

I never did find my bike, though I hiked out there a few times over the next couple of years that  I  lived in Vancouver.

Wow thanks :)

how banged up were you guys?

Was she mad??

How close was the motorcycle from hitting you(running you over)?

poor motorcycle :frowning2:

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #319 of 494
Ya I still, this long later, miss that motorcycle. Kind of like a first love.
Even though I now have two of the very same bike, but its not the same.
Well I don't quite know how the physics of the whole thing worked out but it seems to me that after a very brief slide to the edge of the tarmac we must of high sided and both been launched like a catapult out  towards the abyss with my bike taking the same trajectory out and over us in flight. Engine still purring as it went by I distinctly recall.

Was the gal mad? No, I don't think so, kind of a small concussion I think,
that and we were both into the edge of life lifestyle as I recall, free climbing, scuba, and fast stuff you know.

Me,  I wound up with a broken wrist, cracked tibia, three broken ribs, cracked and chipped C4 vertebrae, and a fair gash on thigh that leaked blood like a water fountain.  So I cut off the bottom of my pants and made a tourniquet  dragged her up the rather steep incline to the road and we walked down the mountain to a restaraunt and got drunk, then I went to the hospital and she went home.

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #320 of 494

Quote:
Ya I still, this long later, miss that motorcycle. Kind of like a first love.
Even though I now have two of the very same bike, but its not the same.
Well I don't quite know how the physics of the whole thing worked out but it seems to me that after a very brief slide to the edge of the tarmac we must of high sided and both been launched like a catapult out  towards the abyss with my bike taking the same trajectory out and over us in flight. Engine still purring as it went by I distinctly recall.

Was the gal mad? No, I don't think so, kind of a small concussion I think,
that and we were both into the edge of life lifestyle as I recall, free climbing, scuba, and fast stuff you know.

Me,  I wound up with a broken wrist, cracked tibia, three broken ribs, cracked and chipped C4 vertebrae, and a fair gash on thigh that leaked blood like a water fountain.  So I cut off the bottom of my pants and made a tourniquet  dragged her up the rather steep incline to the road and we walked down the mountain to a restaraunt and got drunk, then I went to the hospital and she went home.

That is B.A....

Life threatening crash....gets big gash...just wraps it. goes down to restuarant like a bauwss. hospital last...like a bauwss

but wow..i can't believe she wasn't afraid. She must have been some gal!

Let's see mine? I was only injured twice..with plenty of near heavy injury instances.
1: I was going down a very narrow woodland trail on my off road bike. Someone was recording so I wanted to act all B.A and stuff. We were filming(just regular video) at this straightaway with a little recession in the ground in the middle where rain water filled in ...however it was shallow(1 feet) and had jagged rocks in the ground all over. So I wanted to be cool and went up to 5th gear. Kicked it down the trail and...was kinda loosing control a bit but not much...then came the little pond thing.. I hit it..my tire skewed and i whipped a super man into the bushes nearby....that hurt..but i had good protection on and the ground was soft :)
2: Overshot a jump...i had a mini bike for good fun....i flew about 6-7feet into the air..nothing for my big bikes..but this wasn't one. I slammed the ground and....my left..or was it right leg slammed onto the peg..i couldn't walk for half a month..didn't break it but it hurt soo soo bad.

3:Near Death? Almost slammed into a friend going 60+MPH on dirt roads...basically they all involve almost slamming into things going at high speed. These all usually happened right when I got my bikes and I had trouble fitting or knowing how to use or control them properly. Especially my current bike. This is a motocross racing bike..so it has some serious acceleration and power..and boy...had some very close one's. My frame just fits..and gosh the inertia and momentium at times will just prevent me from adequately hitting the brakes or down shifting.

Mar 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #321 of 494

Ya , she was hot , and fiery and well, somethings seem great at the time, but life it teaches you things.

That motocross sounds something like my Fazer the day I got it from the dealer.  I had previously only ridden my Kawasakis , had no idea what I was getting into.
The dealer took me out to the garage after it had been prepped . I got on it  put on the old helmet and grabbed the throttle.  
Three blocks down the street and into sixth gear I finally got the front end back on the ground after going through two red lights and of few swearwords later.

I hope that you too have learned a few valuable lessons  and that your luck continues to hold out.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #322 of 494

Quote:

Ya , she was hot , and fiery and well, somethings seem great at the time, but life it teaches you things.

That motocross sounds something like my Fazer the day I got it from the dealer.  I had previously only ridden my Kawasakis , had no idea what I was getting into.
The dealer took me out to the garage after it had been prepped . I got on it  put on the old helmet and grabbed the throttle.  
Three blocks down the street and into sixth gear I finally got the front end back on the ground after going through two red lights and of few swearwords later.

I hope that you too have learned a few valuable lessons  and that your luck continues to hold out.

Wow... that sounds like a legit bike. I've heard of people on hayabusa's doing that :)

Same thing(but on much smaller sclae) happened to me when I was on an Kawasaki KX85. The suspension was soft..way soft. And I test drove it, I usually ride full sizers so I was just playing around on first gear. I sat down, and gunned it up an incline. I ride 2 strokes but I didn't realize the powerband of this bike was in first gear(somewhat rare for me) and man...did I almost fall off and eat...crap. I was just going decently and then a quick throttle pull and wham the bike pulls a wheelie with me being unprepared. Wow. 

This is usually the bike I ride:

I was on this bike in the story above

As you can tell motocross bike's seat heights are....way off the ground. You need to have at least some height to get on one and not fall off. Especially that full sizer of my. I can only tip toe. I usually just keep one foot on the ground and one on the peg though.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #323 of 494
First real ride of the 2012 season for me this year. Took it out yesterday for an hour long ride ..about 40 miles..took it easy as I am still rather spooked after having crashed a few times last season..

Apr 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #324 of 494
Well ya gotta get back in the saddle, as they say! It does look like you need some new skins on that bike though. Especially, in rainy Portland. that is Oregon I take it. I have had some good rides around your parts, when I lived in Vancouver.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #325 of 494
Naa, those Q2s have another 800-1000 miles to go before i replace them.

Also have my track day tires that have less than 50 miles on them sitting in the garage. Have signed up for one day at the Ridge in Washington come July 12th.

Trying to get my buddies to go trail riding this sunday.. hopefully the nasty cold will be gone by then.

I did pick up a pair of Alpinestars GP Plus gloves yesterday since i lost my Fieldsheer Apex ones..

Apr 22, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #326 of 494
Mine is a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero 750.  Love it.  It's been the perfect bike for me.  I love the classic styling and the fact that it looks bigger than it really is.  Most of my rides are 100 miles or less day trips, and for that it's a big enough bike.  50-55 mpg.

Accessories right now include MC Enterprises heel/toe shifter w/ floorboards, Slipstreamer windshield, Mustang wide touring seat and some unknown brand bags.  Planning to add an LED taillight this year.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #327 of 494
Nice!

WEnt for a ride with a really experienced rider on tuesday.. defintiely helped me gain some confidence back ..felt good.

Ordered some stomp grip pads for the bike.

Testing out my new alpinestars GP plus gloves :)..the bike ain't looking too bad for having been crashed 4 times now :p ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back