Motorcycle-Fi
Jan 20, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #377 of 500
Here's one of my 2-wheeled toys.

1965 Ducati 250 Mach 1. At the time it was Ducati's fastest production bike, and the world's fastest <250cc production bike. It'll do 100MPH in the speed tuck position providing I don't have a headwind :p

I did 3000miles over 11 days on it september as part of the MotoGiro Australia for vintage Italian bikes. Apart from a spectacular battery failure it didn't miss a beat :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #379 of 500
  Here's one of my 2-wheeled toys.

1965 Ducati 250 Mach 1. At the time it was Ducati's fastest production bike, and the world's fastest <250cc production bike. It'll do 100MPH in the speed tuck position providing I don't have a headwind :p

I did 3000miles over 11 days on it september as part of the MotoGiro Australia for vintage Italian bikes. Apart from a spectacular battery failure it didn't miss a beat :)

Welcomed this bad boy to the stable yesterday... (I still have the Mach 1 above as well)

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter 'S'

May 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #382 of 500
Summer is finally starting here again
smile.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #386 of 500
I just got this beast on Tuesday August 12th. A 2014 Suzuki DRZ400SM supermoto. I got it as a used 2014 with only 550 miles on it for $1000 less than the price of one with 0 miles. So far all I've done to her was to remove the huge ugly tail light and fender and replaced it with the one in the pictures and I also put a fender bag on the rear fender. It's just big enough to hold the factory tool kit, and a bottle of water or a sandwich. It'll also hold a CD or two as I found out tonight when I picked up the new Opeth album. 
biggrin.gif

I had riden dirt bikes since I was a young kid so this thing feels very natural for me to ride. My first street legal bike was actually a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636 that I bought and rode i think back in 2005/2006. I was only 20 at the time, but I respected the power and had no issues with accidents or tickets. I eventually had to sell that bike to buy a new car. Then a few years later I tried a KTM690SMC supermoto which unfortunately only lasted for 6 weeks before a car turned in front of me and it was totaled. I broke my collarbone and got some very minor road rash. It took about 5-6 years before I could no longer fight the itch to get another bike.

This thing is pretty sweet though. A lot of people say that this model bike has no power, but I think it's fine. All stock its 35 HP to the rear wheel and I've read of people getting 60 HP to the rear wheel with this same engine with a good amount of work. I'll put a full exhaust on it, do the airbox mod that everybody does, and jet the carb soon I'm sure, which should bring it to about 40 HP at the rear wheel. I'll definitely be doing that by next spring. A bigger carb and different cams should bring it to about 45 HP if I want even more later on. After that it'd be a big bore, possibly a stroker kit, an even bigger carb, higher compression and some head/valvetrain work for even more power if I feel like wasting all my money. The big benefit to this bike rather than converting a motocross bike is the service intervals. This engine is very low maintenance. The only work I want to have to do is oil changes and upgrades. I didn't want to be messing with valve clearances every week, and rebuilding a complete top end every year or two. I have a lot of favorite things about this bike, including comfort over a sport bike, but what is really fun is the twisty roads. This thing just falls right into the corners and so far has stuck to the road like glue. 

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #388 of 500
  I just got this beast on Tuesday August 12th. A 2014 Suzuki DRZ400SM supermoto. I got it as a used 2014 with only 550 miles on it for $1000 less than the price of one with 0 miles. So far all I've done to her was to remove the huge ugly tail light and fender and replaced it with the one in the pictures and I also put a fender bag on the rear fender. It's just big enough to hold the factory tool kit, and a bottle of water or a sandwich. It'll also hold a CD or two as I found out tonight when I picked up the new Opeth album. 
biggrin.gif

I had riden dirt bikes since I was a young kid so this thing feels very natural for me to ride. My first street legal bike was actually a 2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636 that I bought and rode i think back in 2005/2006. I was only 20 at the time, but I respected the power and had no issues with accidents or tickets. I eventually had to sell that bike to buy a new car. Then a few years later I tried a KTM690SMC supermoto which unfortunately only lasted for 6 weeks before a car turned in front of me and it was totaled. I broke my collarbone and got some very minor road rash. It took about 5-6 years before I could no longer fight the itch to get another bike.

This thing is pretty sweet though. A lot of people say that this model bike has no power, but I think it's fine. All stock its 35 HP to the rear wheel and I've read of people getting 60 HP to the rear wheel with this same engine with a good amount of work. I'll put a full exhaust on it, do the airbox mod that everybody does, and jet the carb soon I'm sure, which should bring it to about 40 HP at the rear wheel. I'll definitely be doing that by next spring. A bigger carb and different cams should bring it to about 45 HP if I want even more later on. After that it'd be a big bore, possibly a stroker kit, an even bigger carb, higher compression and some head/valvetrain work for even more power if I feel like wasting all my money. The big benefit to this bike rather than converting a motocross bike is the service intervals. This engine is very low maintenance. The only work I want to have to do is oil changes and upgrades. I didn't want to be messing with valve clearances every week, and rebuilding a complete top end every year or two. I have a lot of favorite things about this bike, including comfort over a sport bike, but what is really fun is the twisty roads. This thing just falls right into the corners and so far has stuck to the road like glue. 

I'm trying to convince myself into not buying a new Duke 690. 

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #389 of 500
My two-wheeled motorized diversions:
The Honda's a work in process.  Needs the carbs sorted so it's close to being road-worthy.  Probably just in time for winter.
The Guzzi is a really-really fast tractor.  Plenty of pull and a very satisfying ride around the PA countryside. 
Ducati is the 1st bike I ever lusted for & can't contain the grin every time I'm lucky enough to fire it up.  Handling is telepathic.

Honda CL 200

Moto Guzzi 1200S

Ducati S2R

Sep 26, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #390 of 500

I'm doing the distinguished gentlemans ride on Sunday. This was started 2 years ago by friends who run the Sydney Cafe Racer's group after they saw an image of Don Draper sitting on an old bike in his suit looking all dapper.

In it's third year now, ithe DGR has spread to 220 cities around the world, and this year it's raised over $1.2million for prostate cancer.
If you can spare a few bucks, feel free to sponsor me. For the cynical members, $1 for ever KM that the bike doesn't break down could be a fun game! :p
http://www.gentlemansride.com/rider/OctaneAu

I also washed and kicked over the Mach 1 this afternoon. Started first kick! (last time it was started was early Aug on the Australian MotoGiro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back