Motorcycle-Fi
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #76 of 500

Quote:
If I can also ask an off topic question. What gloves do people use in cold weather. Winter has just arrived and my 'winter' gloves don't seem to cope very well with winter. Any recommendations from those people who ride in cold weather?

I use a pair of Hestra gloves.
The specific model do not seem to be in current production, but it looks quite a bit like this model.

Kept my fingers relative warm during a 1 hour mountain pass a month ago, with temperature down to -9°C (16°F). Says quite a bit!

Jun 17, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #78 of 500
Really not sure what they are targeted towards.
But I suspect they are meant for snowmobiles, as they are isolated that well and have carbon fiber protection on the knuckles.

Jun 19, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #79 of 500
While a 250 twin is certainly light & does have sufficient power to go freeway speed I think a 500 twin to be a better match for all but the lightest weight riders. The power delivery of a 250cc bike would be focused too much at the high revs neccessitating frequent shifts as in anytime more power is needed beyond simply cruising. The 500 twin on the other hand is still in most cases sufficiently light weight but has sufficient power that in many cases no downshift is required leaving the begining rider to be more focused on the road & traffic. A 500 twin generally does not have enough power to get the begining rider into serious trouble as any modern 600cc 4cylender bike could due to the 500 twins very flat power delivery compared to the 4 cylinders delivery. Even a 400cc 4cylinder bike will deliver more power than a 500cc twin if you row the gear shifter enough, however in a top gear roll on the 500 twin will win even against a 600cc 4 cylinder bike in many cases given both bikes are left in top gear.

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #85 of 500

Quote:
Same here! I pictured Old Pa on vintage American iron.

Still, that's a hell of a nice new ride. Hope you enjoy it!

Quote:
Yes, either a Vespa or  a Harley! But not a cafe racer (showing my age).

My bike ownership evolution: 1977 Yamaha XS750 Special > 1980 Yamaha ES1100 > 1986 Honda VFR500 > 1993 Honda CBR600F2 > 2006 Suzuki DL-650 V-Strom > 2010 KTM Supermoto T

I haven't ridden a Harley since the early 80's and all I remember is that I had an uncontrollable urge to look back over my shoulder and see how the plow was doing.
biggrin.gif
  Strictly agricultural. 
deadhorse.gif

My experience with American "chopper" styling was limited to the Yamaha 750 Special, which I hung a Vetter faring on and replaced a perfectly good exhaust system with one with a loud high annoying rasp.  Which I then rode from Chicago to Flagstaff on Route 66, up the Rocky Mountains on US 89, looped the northwest, down into CA and back through Denver.  Boy, did that teach me.  Promptly sold the bike. 
blink.gif

You will note my thirteen year span with the F2.  This was after it was properly set up with Ohlins rear shock, front fork re-valve, Two Brothers exhaust properly jetted, and a Corbin seat.  Many years of happy tire-shredding (of quality Dunlop R compounds) in the twisties.  The V-Strom was better for my old back, intuitive to control inputs, and better on dirt'gravel backroads.  I also grew to love the 90 degree V-twin.  The Supermoto T extends the Wee-Stroms positive with a little more grunt.
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #86 of 500

the new toy

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #87 of 500
I would love to get a Harley but living in Miami Beach it would not be good for my health. My progression was: Yamaha RD250 => Honda CB550 four => Suzuki GS750. I have not owned a motorbike since 1985 when I lived in TN.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #88 of 500

Quote:
I would love to get a Harley but living in Miami Beach it would not be good for my health. My progression was: Yamaha RD250 => Honda CB550 four => Suzuki GS750. I have not owned a motorbike since 1985 when I lived in TN.

But you have not lost your taste for bikes.
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #89 of 500

Quote:

If I can also ask an off topic question. What gloves do people use in cold weather. Winter has just arrived and my 'winter' gloves don't seem to cope very well with winter. Any recommendations from those people who ride in cold weather?

Oh, yes.  One of my favorite pieces of gear is an electric vest.  Hooks right into the bike's power system.  Goes under the riding suit and extends the season one month on both ends (snow and salt permitting). 
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #90 of 500
This year I'm taking a Level II class at California Bike school at Thunderbolt Raceway The track is at NJ Motorsports Raceway in southern NJ. Normally I would be really excited, but this year Keith Code, owner and unstoppable champion in the '80's is changing from a 30 year commitment with Kawasaki ZX-6's to the BMW SR1000RR's for the track. This bike has everything ever meant for the track.It has more computer control then the Pentagon, has close to 200+hp, and rides as good in the rain as it does on dry road.

It's BMW's first real foray into track riding. I took Level I last year and it was better than 3 good days at work. I have a ZX-14 and can safely say that this bike is a beast.

I started with a Rupp Roadster with a 4 1/2 hp Tecumseh engine with a governor, Then I moved onto a Honda SL-70 then into a ZX125 off road and then my first street bike was a 76 Honda CB360T (truly scary on the highway). Then I grew up and got an '82 Yamaha Seca 650 that it was just going to be just for a short time, and that short time lasted 10 years. I finally left my wife and got what I always wanted, a 1994 Suzuki Katana 1100. That lasted 16 loyal years and know I have the bike of my dreams. An '08 ZX-14 that will probably take me into retirement (10-15 years), and then my back an I have an agreement. For the duration of my riding career, I will have a cruiser something towards the likes of a Gold Wing or the likes. When you're in your 60's I figure that laying on the gas tank is not an option, and I will definitely need a reverse.
My wife will have 6G and can get on the internet any where she pleases, and if it rains, the bike will stay in the garage and the Bugatti will get some slab time. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back