Mothers Day Gifts
May 1, 2010 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dBs

100+ Head-Fier
I am curious what other people will be giving their mothers this mothers day =D

I have a bit of a story about mothers day gift that might be inspirational for anyone still debating in their minds. I took this from a write up I did on my little blog corner of the world:

I've never raved about customer service before, but these guys at Covered Strawberries | Chocolate Gifts - Shari's Berries really deserve it. If anyone knows customer service, I do. I've been working customer service jobs (one or more at a time), from the age of 14 till 24 in almost all industries.

The story starts with me wanting to buy my mom a mothers day gift. I listen to a lot of radio, and I overheard a place called Covered Strawberries | Chocolate Gifts - Shari's Berries was doing a deal of flowers one day and high quality chocolate dipped strawberries the next day. "What an original idea (strawberries)", I thought. I made an order for 6 strawberries and flowers to arrive on mothers day and the day after.

Later that afternoon I spoke with my mom about her plans for mothers day. I come to find out that she was going on a week long vacation with her new and happily married husband and wouldn't be returning until after mothers day. Uh oh!

I call up Covered Strawberries | Chocolate Gifts - Shari's Berries and ask them if they could move back the delivery dates. No luck, they must do things very quickly there because it was only a few hours after my original order and it was already in shipping status and thus unalterable. The fine lady on the phone (who was absolutely courteous) offered to send a SECOND order for after my mothers return FREE OF CHARGE!

Unfortunately, that meant that I had to break the surprise to my mom so she should have a neighbor claim the first order. I basically got the opportunity to make two peoples mothers day for the price of just my mom. Now THAT is customer service!

May 1, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 17
Your mother is a woman. Women - regardless of your relationship to them - generlly prefer experiences to material objects. (I am speaking generally here.)

I would recommend a gift certificate to a day spa, a gift certificate to a nice restaurant, or maybe a trip. Those will be a lot more memorable.

This year, I'm planning to get the parents (Father's Day isn't too far off) a couple of tickets, hotel rooms, rental car, etc. so they can pay a visit to Carlsbad Caverns. I think it will go over pretty well and I know they'll have a great time. Mom and Dad will get more from the trip than any material object.

You don't have to give a trip or anything - a visit to the spa or a haircut, manicure, etc. will go over well.

May 1, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 17
My mom doesn't really like the sorts of things that an experience from my wallet could provide, lol. My mother has never really been terribly into vacations before. I have only a handful of pictures with me and her in them from various places. By contrast, I have TONS with my dad of various places (divorced so we weren't all there at the same time). My dad is far more sentimental than my mom is. Now that I think about it, I have been on a grand total of two vacations with my mom before, she's never really been the type for that sort of thing. I do suspect that that will change now for various reasons that I wont go into, but this trip I'm seeing her take for mothers day is the first trip I have seen her take in many years.

If I got her something for a haircut, manicure, etc. she would see it as a waste of money. Her definition of a fancy dinner is the Olive Garden. She doesn't go for most forms of extravagances. She's a really practical minded person. It's always tough buying for her cause of that. Unfortunately, most things that are practical and needed are either owned already if they are cheap, or too expensive for me to afford. I know she likes fruit and flowers though so I thought this was a winning combination. That is also why I am always on the look out for a good and original idea, hence the post.

May 1, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
speak for yourself!

Lol! Indeed, sometimes I wonder...

She already has a pair of ibuds actually. Her last cell phone was from 8 years ago and it was [FINALLY] beginning to fail on her. She came to me for a phone recommendation and I recommended the iPhone, so now she has some ibuds, lol.

May 1, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 17
This is 2 months too late for some
tongue_smile.gif

May 1, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 17
This is a mans world. Women are disregarded.

May 1, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaeO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is 2 months too late for some
tongue_smile.gif

Great! Then you guys should know what worked and what didn't from this years experience
icon10.gif

May 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #12 of 17
This year I'm giving my mother exactly what she wants. Cold hard currency and dinner out for Korean Barbecue. She enjoys buying little things as she sees them. She also likes pratical things. Hates flowers. Who am I to disagree with her?

Peace,

May 2, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #13 of 17
My mother has passed a few years ago so all I have left is my wife. I asked her for the first time in 43 years of marriage what she wanted this year for Mother's Day. All she said was surprise me. So ------ I guess I just won't get her anything and hope that surprises her, LOL.

May 3, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #14 of 17
My sister bought a silver pin with amethyst flowers she thinks mom'll love, and we're going to give it to her together. I'm making up the difference by buying dad's Father's Day gift for us to give him together a month later (There's a Buck 110 special edition Alaska 50th Anniversary pocket knife he's had his eye on for well near a year now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back