MOT/ Diyer/Psuedo-pro/Pro/issues
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #46 of 48
Your experiences in the matter (in the audiophile world) certainly far exceeds mine (not even 30 yet). As for the current system, I think it does a good job when we are dealing with regular sales/trades. But don't forget that my concern isn't with people getting ripped off, rather people getting potentially hurt from an MOT "turned bad" or careless. As Manaox2 pointed out, theres probably no way to ensure people are completely safe, but there should be measures to ensure that people are to the best we can. Asking MOTs for samples of their work, is great and all, but that's pretty much asking someone to "Show me your best," and they can very well hide any of their bad projects/builds. By asking them to take photos of all their builds and post it as part of their feedback thread, those MOTs cannot simply pick and choose, rather users will have the ability to see their full range of work and not just their work nicely dressed up.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #47 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if I'm the boss, why am I then the low man on the totem pole.

Because you think there's a totem pole in the first place.

Quote:

Your decision to be part of the head-fi community and subsequent actions from it added something to head-fi that other audio forums, perhaps something like ilounge, could not compare to. That shaped the community and whatever it takes part in -including sales and trades among members.

A lot of it would've never even happened in the first place if your regulations were in place the entire time. For just one example, on more than one occasion I've done custom work on amps and other equipment for local members where they come by, hang out a bit talking / listening to music and such, I do the work, then they leave with the finished product. If I was expected to take a full set of photos, perform RMAA measurements, do other "safety checks" (whatever that actually means), etc, all to satisfy people who have absolutely nothing to do with the transaction, guess what? I would probably never even bother to do that except for good friends. The community I've come to know and love is built upon friendship and mutual trust (earned through time and effort). One day you're fixing somebody's stuff, the next you're having pints with a new friend. The casual and laid back atmosphere is what permits this to happen so readily, and these regulations based on fear and mistrust would only serve to create a divide between buyers and sellers. It would be even worse for those who are not readily able to make some of the supplemental tests/measurements you might end up requiring, as they would be viewed with doubt for not providing that information, even if their product surpassed others who could provide it.

Quote:

For you to now claim that you take no part in a public issue that concerns the community is to take a step away from the community, to step out and separate yourself from head-fi.

Unless somebody has started to engage in deceptive or harmful behavior, private transactions with MOTs/DIYers are NOT a public issue. It is NOT your business, no matter how much you wish it was.

But, as the authority on what this community stands for, you have spoken, and by your definition I am no longer a part of the Head-Fi community.

Quote:

By asking them to take photos of all their builds and post it as part of their feedback thread, those MOTs cannot simply pick and choose, rather users will have the ability to see their full range of work and not just their work nicely dressed up.

Too bad what you actually proposed was far more than just photos of each build.

Oct 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #48 of 48
If someone has a problem with the DIYMOT (this term sounds so oxymoronic to me) or their work, they already have a feedback thread to post in for them. They can take their own pictures if they care, just like they could reply to this thread to support you if they thought there was a good idea at hand.

Honestly, I didn't post in those threads about problematic trades because it wasn't my business. I would stick up for those people in a heartbeat though if someone said that it wasn't a big deal (whether I like the person or not). I consider myself a head-fi member as well as a member of several other forums and I in general appreciate this community. I really do. But if things get to be distrustful, uninformative, and just an overall hassle trying to enjoy the hobby with others, I could walk away without crying. I try to stick up for people in general (not because its head-fi or any sort of utopia) because its the right thing to do, like respecting peoples free will and privacy. I think you have good intentions, but I don't necessarily think what your asking is a helpful suggestion. I don't feel to reiterate myself anymore, I think the majority of others seem to agree at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back