most suitable IEM for $75 range
Sep 15, 2010 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

congregation

New Head-Fier
I hate to create another of these IEM price range threads but after a few hours of browsing previous threads I still haven't been able to find a consensus about the best choice for a headphone in this range
frown.gif

I have recently bought a Cowon J3 player at a great price and have now been searching for a suitable IEM to go with it.
So far I have come to the conclusion that the Head-Direct RE0 is the best choice for sound quality, but unfortunately this is too far out of my price range
frown.gif

right now I am thinking that the Klipsch Image s4, PL50 or Metro.Fi 200 might be what I am looking for

any insight you can give me would be much appreciated!
smile_phones.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I still haven't been able to find a consensus about the best choice for a headphone in this range
frown.gif

That's because there isn't one, hence the reason for a discussion forum.

Depending on what music you listen to i'd look up, etymotic mc5 and the fischer eterna. I havent heard the mc5 but I can't imagine it goes far wrong at the price and others seem to like it. Do you mean the mf200 or the 220? not that i'd recommend either unless they are on quite the sale, for that price youy should at least be able to get the sf.4

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 10
have a look at Brainwavz M1

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Depending on what music you listen to i'd look up, etymotic mc5 and the fischer eterna. I havent heard the mc5 but I can't imagine it goes far wrong at the price and others seem to like it. Do you mean the mf200 or the 220?

well I believe the ones I was looking at were the mf200s, I am not sure about the 220s.

I have had a little look at the fischer eterna, but the reviews I have read have been mixed. this is really what is confusing me when I am looking for earphones, reviews of people and from sites are all saying different things. reviews seem to contradict and say conflicting things about the same pair of earphones and It is all a little bit confusing.

sorry I am very new to the earphones and am finding it very difficult to find answers, but thanks for your suggestion!
redface.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
well I believe the ones I was looking at were the mf200s, I am not sure about the 220s.

I was just asking as the mf200 was replaced by the mf220.

Quote:
I have had a little look at the fischer eterna, but the reviews I have read have been mixed. this is really what is confusing me when I am looking for earphones, reviews of people and from sites are all saying different things. reviews seem to contradict and say conflicting things about the same pair of earphones and It is all a little bit confusing.

That's pretty much the reason this forum is so active, no one agrees totally with anyone else. I don't think there's a single product written about on head-fi that doesn't divide opinion. Some people like a bassy sound, others like clarity and there are a whole lot more variables. I, for example, own a pair of earphones I bought for £17 which I prefer to the Klipsch S4's although there will be many reviews on here praising them. When i listened to an etymotic earphone for the first time compared to a sennheiser cx400 I nearly returned them I was so dissapointed, they soon became my favourites at the time. Some things that may make it easier to suggest things are: What music do you listen to? Have you any other earphones and what do you like/not like about them. Selecting earphones from scratch is harder than from a comparison. If you havent found it already have a read of |Joker| 's thread, it should give you lots of good comparison's.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
What music do you listen to? Have you any other earphones and what do you like/not like about them. Selecting earphones from scratch is harder than from a comparison. If you havent found it already have a read of |Joker| 's thread, it should give you lots of good comparison's.

well for music I listen mostly to prog, but also electronic, rock, pop, hip hop, ambient or pretty much anything else which appeals to me,
this was why I was leaning mostly towards the Klipsch Image s4, because I read that it had good balance.
I don't really have much I can compare in terms of sound quality, maybe this is why it is so difficult to choose. In the past I have relied solely on stock earphones which come with the players, or $10 Sony earphones when I need to replace them.

I might have already read through Jokers comparison, but i will have a look, thanks for the pointer!

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 10
I suggest brainwavz M2 or thE Fischer Audio eterna. I am buying on of those two myself and the got great reviews. Where did you buy cowon J3 from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back