most overrated/pretentious bands
Dec 26, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

This one is easy for me - Eminem. Blender Magazine recently did a "50 geniuses of Rock of All Time" and listed #1 as...wait for it!...Eminem. Above Joel, Springsteen, Dylan, Elton John, Hendrix, Beatles...everybody.

I definitely agree with this. I find it amusing how an entire nation can go from being in shock from a rapper singing about killing his mom to giving him every damn musical award out there in a mere two years. Something ain't right here.

Dec 27, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
hear hear! admittedly, i do like both bands to a certain extent, but Mr. Stipe and definately Mr. Hewson should learn to shut up once in a while...

i'll add Creed. that lawsuit they were involved in was totally hilarious!

also: Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, any and every American Idol trash.

Phish is a good band. At least the "Rift" is a good album. I don't see how Phish went in to the same pot with Dave Matthews and Creed.

Dec 27, 2003 at 1:08 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by djgustashaw
I definitely agree with this. I find it amusing how an entire nation can go from being in shock from a rapper singing about killing his mom to giving him every damn musical award out there in a mere two years. Something ain't right here.

Yup, I agree with that sentiment. The "something ain't right here" is called the CHA-CHING!! Factor. Sell millions of records - you're the greatest thing since sliced Wonder(tm) bread.

Dec 27, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by bong
hear hear! admittedly, i do like both bands to a certain extent, but Mr. Stipe and definately Mr. Hewson should learn to shut up once in a while...

i'll add Creed. that lawsuit they were involved in was totally hilarious!

also: Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, any and every American Idol trash.

Evanescence's old tracks are okay, they had some good songs before they became mainstream. [I hate DMB for some reason, I just can't stand his voice...but he music itself is good] I actually like Creed, my sacrifice is good.

Dec 27, 2003 at 3:09 AM Post #35 of 51
sheesh...

ok, first off. Limp Bizkit is not overrated. Nor is Evanescence. Neither is Creed and neither is Dave Matthews. Why? because the critics hate all of them.

Overrated means that they receive good reviews for one reason or the other that aren't deserved. Ok? that simple huh?

Eminem certainly isn't the best pop act ever in the US, but he's no flash in the pan either. listening to his stuff... makes me think he's our generation's Edgar Allen Poe.

Dec 27, 2003 at 3:55 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Eminem certainly isn't the best pop act ever in the US, but he's no flash in the pan either. listening to his stuff... makes me think he's our generation's Edgar Allen Poe.

That sounds fine.
biggrin.gif
But until he can prove quality via sustainability - the only measure that seems to matter in music - across a good period of time rating him as "#1 Rock Genius of All Time" (that's 50 years of rock to compare to) is indeed overhyped overrating.

wink.gif

lambda.gif

Cheers!

Dec 27, 2003 at 6:47 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by karmypolitics
Why? because the critics hate all of them.

i agree with djgustashaw, just because the critics hate them doesn't mean they still can't be overrated. being overrated can also have a basis of public image and overall sales.

also, there is a huge difference between being overrated and being pretentious. Creed is definately pretentious, and so is DMB, U2, REM, Evanescence, Avril Levigne, etc..

also, being overrated and being pretentious doesn't necessarily mean the artist is bad. many of the artists listed (U2, REM, Radiohead, Phish, etc...) have made huge contributions to the music world, and many would argue that they are overrated and pretentious, but they are still great artists.

Dec 27, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #40 of 51
I would agree that a lot of good bands are both overrated and pretentious but sometimes I get the feeling it's hard to be really really great without being a bit pretentious. You have to be willing to push the envelope and most people don't want their musical envelope pushed and then scream pretentious.

But would your guys definition of pretentious match Joan of Arc? I listen to them a lot and think they're really interesting but I would definitely label them as pretentious but it's in their pretentiousness that they find their appeal. That is what makes them different. So everything is so personal when it comes to music that all we can pretty much do is learn from others opinions and see if they somehow fit with our own.

Maybe we should start another thread...good bands that are not pretentious or overrated. That would be more helpful.
600smile.gif

Dec 28, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #42 of 51
I think that overrated and or pretentious bands can be good, but its more a matter of being as goos as the hype.

Thus the Strokes, The Postal Service, Eminem, The White Stripes. Led Zeppelin.

Dec 28, 2003 at 9:26 AM Post #43 of 51
I agree that many, if not most, of the bands listen beforehand are overrated...but Rage Against the Machine?
I just can't agree. they rock. pure and simple. They turned out some tunes that paved the way for so many other **** bands to follow...but they were the originals...and great.

If you play from your heart more often than not people will get it.

Jun 24, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by karmypolitics
4. Dr. Dre. I've seen so many interviews where people praise him for being brilliant, and I'll agree that The Chronic is a very sonically innovative album, but his work on the SLim Shady Lp and the Marshall Mathers Lp albums is paltry and are probably the weakest productions. Of course he gets credit for them since he's the biggest name in their. Outside of that, his production is pretty predictable: put on a looping syth beat, throw in a few strings for a "menacing" effect, and you've got 90% of his productions.

7. A Tribe Called Quest. This should probably encompass the entire jazz/rap genre, which like alt-country, is good for a few singles here and there but otherwise is too limited for much creativity.

as far as dre goes, you are missing about 6 some years that went unaccounted for between eminem and the chronic (which would include doggystyle among others)..as well as his work before the chronic (which would include nwa).

as far as tribe goes, they have 2 hiphop classics under their belt (midnight marauders and low end theory). saying they have a "few" singles is ridiculous. have you actually listened to all of their material (or even hiphop in general), or are you basing it on a few mtv videos..and creativity? they were innovators, creating jazzy, low key, conscious rap in an age of hardcore gansta raps.

Jun 24, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #45 of 51
most pretentious:
pink floyd
(and i'm a huge fan)

btw, "overrated" and "pretentious" are two different things. :b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back