most overrated/pretentious bands
Dec 24, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #17 of 51
bad religion and tricky for me

ps: i still like tricky though. bad religion not so much.

Dec 25, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #18 of 51
I agree on the Strokes. I have both of their ablums and enjoy them well enough, but they're really repetitive and don't seem like album of the year material for me.

As for Pete Yorn, I'm a huge fan. Now that you mention it, he does look a bit like Jim Morrison
wink.gif
. You can take cheap shots at Day I Forgot, as it's good but not as good as his debut. But musicforthemorningafter is a f'ing masterpiece. It's the album that got me off radio pop two and a half years ago... too bad he's heading down the radio pop road himself these days
frown.gif
. And plenty of bands have pictures of themselves in their CD booklet things.

Dec 25, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
REM & U2 do it for me.

Michael Stipe and Boner just annoy the hell out of me. Admittedly both bands recorded some great albums in the mid/late 80s but recent output from them both has been pretty much a waste of everybody's time and money in my opinion.

hear hear! admittedly, i do like both bands to a certain extent, but Mr. Stipe and definately Mr. Hewson should learn to shut up once in a while...

i'll add Creed. that lawsuit they were involved in was totally hilarious!

also: Dave Matthews Band, Phish, Evanescence, Avril Lavigne, any and every American Idol trash.

Dec 25, 2003 at 8:55 AM Post #21 of 51
I hate these kind of posts, just change it to name the crappiest bands...

...because when dealing with "most over-rated bands" you are just separating true fans of a specific band from those that dabble in the genre.

To me, calling a band overrated is worse then calling them a crappy band... o well.

Dec 25, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 51
no, i don;t think calling a lot of the artists listed as crappy is a fair statement. many of which deserves merit in one way or another, but i do agree with people calling them overrated and pretentious, and a few even at times self indulgent.

being overrated, pretentious, and self indulgent doesn't necessarily have to mean crappy. i love Radiohead, U2, REM, Coldplay, Tool, etc... as much as the next person, and no doubt they are great bands. but i do have to agree they are overrated and some of them at times pretentious.

and also, with many of these artists, you don't have to be a "true fan" and own everything that was released and know they are overrated. this happens when an artist gets oversaturated by the media and press. when a particular artist gets praised up to high heaven, but their latest album/tour/single/ etc... wasn't all that good compared to earlier efforts, and are riding on the coattails of their press coverage to sell, you know that band is being overrated.

anyway... MERRY CHRISTMAS!
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 51
White stripes. I bought elephant to hear the recording quality everyone spoke of. But the music seems like an art school project. The re-construction of some de-constructing.

Dec 25, 2003 at 3:29 PM Post #24 of 51
Ditto on the White Stripes. Jack's a decent (no better than that) session-grade guitar player, and his sister (?) is a simply awful drummer. If they would break down and hire another guitar player and bass player, they might sound more like a real band.

Dec 25, 2003 at 4:36 PM Post #25 of 51
Bong,

You just decribed a band that sold out, not an overrated band.

A band that is overrated is one that, as a whole, is not as good as the public percieves them to be.

(edit: spelling)

Dec 25, 2003 at 5:07 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
Bong,

You just decribed a band that sold out, not an overated band.

A band that is overated is one, that as a whole, is not as good as the public percieves them to be

hi eyepod,

hmm... i would have to half agree with that. a band that sells out is when the artist is doing a project just for the sake of earning money and not considering the feelings of their core fans. it's when an artist deliberately makes a stab at the mainstream pop charts. umm... i can't think of a good example right now.

but someone like Coldplay are definately overrated in the eyes of the press and the public. i honestly thought "Parachutes" is a better album than "A Rush of Blood to the Head," but both the press and the public thinks otherwise. the latter album sold amazingly well, and the recent tour is just ridiculously hyped. i had no way in hell to pick up tickets for the recent tour, but easily got tickets for the previous tour. however, Coldplay are not sell-outs in that definition of the term, they worked, wrote, recorded, and performed their music on their own terms, not to make a quick buck. but the press and public coverage definately helped the sale of an inferior album as compared to their debut. that's overrated...

cheers.

Dec 26, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #27 of 51
Mr. Gordon "Sting" Sumner seems to be very pretentious.... but I like listening anyway.

I get the feeling that U2 is overrated... but... I love their music.

Dec 26, 2003 at 2:19 PM Post #29 of 51
This one is easy for me - Eminem. Blender Magazine recently did a "50 geniuses of Rock of All Time" and listed #1 as...wait for it!...Eminem. Above Joel, Springsteen, Dylan, Elton John, Hendrix, Beatles...everybody.

If that isn't an overrated flash-in-the-pan (where will *he* be in 5 years??) I don't know what is.

IMHO, of course
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back