Most overrated musicians?
Jul 23, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #31 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
Holy crap how did I forget:

The Mars Volta

I am with you man

Drugs are cool and everything. However I would hope that some sense of coherence and acapbility o express actuall...anyhoo.

Not a fan. Can't stand them. Go do drugs and listen to good music, you're better off......

and that is all...

from neptune

Jul 23, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #32 of 216
Kurt Cobain had a great personna. First I want to say that I'm not a Nirvana fan although In-Utero is a pretty decent album and maybe their best.

I just never got into Nirvana and I prefer Beethoven but Cobain had a really cool personna and is one of the ultimate rebels. He was really chic in a way- his style of dress, his scruffy look and his cool presence. He wasn't obnoxious like Axl Rose or the 80's metal singers but he was West Coast cool and it was refreshing for a lot of kids.

He was a well known heroin addict and that also added to a sense of chicness and mystery. Commonly, heroin makes rock singers more mysterious and cool for the bland suburban kids out there, espeically if the singer had a unique style of clothes, which Cobain had. Plus, he wrote some pretty decent songs with cool catchy melodies. He had a good voice too as in nice tone and very natural sounding. He was raggedly envogue with that style. He was also good looking too (I'm not gay btw). He was definetly a role model, not a good one that I would encourage though for kids.

Personally, Foo Fighters are better. Dave is the man.

Jul 23, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #33 of 216
This is difficult to reply to because for me to not like someone who is popular does not automatically mean they are overrated. World doesn't revolve around my musical tastes and so on. But I understand not the popularity of Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

Jul 23, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #34 of 216
U2.
That is all
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 1:53 PM Post #35 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Let's see how many people I can irritate with my personal opinion:

The Beatles
Nirvana
Prince
Jimi Hendrix
Fleetwood Mac
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The Beach Boys
Elvis Costello
Paul McCartney
Ramones

and finally

Radiohead

Have fun flaming, I hath spoken
biggrin.gif

Opeth...way overrated!
redface.gif

Jul 23, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #40 of 216
Elvis Pressley HAS to be the most over-rated musician of all time, of history....

He supposedly owns the "The King of Rock & Roll" moniker, but you only hear him on country radio these days (and have for quite a while).....

and he built his success by singing songs written by others who weren't allowed to reap success from them because of their skin color....

Jul 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #41 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by mateo05
Like others have said, Kenny G. I can't stand that flaming sack of.........

For more Kenny G bashing fun, check out this rant that inspired this little ditty.

Of course, it probably doesn't help my cause that I might consider some of Pat Metheny's music the best thing short of the second coming of Christ *waits for flames and cries of 'overrated'*

Check this
"But when Kenny G decided that it was appropriate for him to defile the music of the man who is probably the greatest jazz musician that has ever lived by spewing his lame-ass, jive, pseudo bluesy, out-of-tune, noodling, wimped out, ****ed up playing all over one of the great Louis's tracks (even one of his lesser ones), he did something that I would not have imagined possible. He, in one move, through his unbelievably pretentious and calloused musical decision to embark on this most cynical of musical paths, **** all over the graves of all the musicians past and present who have risked their lives by going out there on the road for years and years developing their own music inspired by the standards of grace that Louis Armstrong brought to every single note he played over an amazing lifetime as a musician. By disrespecting Louis, his legacy and by default, everyone who has ever tried to do something positive with improvised music and what it can be, Kenny G has created a new low point in modern culture - something that we all should be totally embarrassed about - and afraid of. We ignore this, "let it slide", at our own peril."

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 216
Is kenny G overrated? hehehe too popular maybe but I haven't really heard critical acclaim. He's standard quality among smooth jazz musicians as far as how good he plays but i do agree that his music is almost blasphemous
evil_smiley.gif

Hmm Elvis however I agree. He is overrated

Jul 24, 2006 at 12:02 PM Post #43 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lacene
Elvis Pressley HAS to be the most over-rated musician of all time, of history....

He supposedly owns the "The King of Rock & Roll" moniker, but you only hear him on country radio these days (and have for quite a while).....

and he built his success by singing songs written by others who weren't allowed to reap success from them because of their skin color....

yes. i'll even go further and claim that this is the one true OBJECTIVE answer to the question. why? "most overrated" implies a very high rating that is completely unfounded. now who else in pop music is commonly rated as high as "the king"? only the beatles are. don't get me wrong, elvis was a good singer, had charisma. but that's it. "the king of rock'n'roll"? that claim is as hilarious as any alien abduction theory.

disgruntled elvis fans should
1. pay respect to the real king of rock'n'roll (chuck berry), and
2. watch don coscarelli's "baba ho-tep".

Jul 24, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #45 of 216
geez, i'm late to this party and i'm surprised no one has hit up those ear-defiling 'divas' such as celine dion, mariah carey, whitney houston etc. man i find their 'music' loathsome! what a waste of technical ability. (now aretha, she's the real deal!!!).
also down with rap!!!! this stuff is not music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back