Most overrated musicians?
Jul 24, 2006 at 1:57 PM Post #46 of 216
Syd Barrett.

Not that Dave Gilmour is any better...

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #48 of 216
U2

second Elvis: the man had a great voice and his persona was true rock, and he did help the rebellion that is rock...but no one man deserves title of king of rock.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #52 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
joshua bell

That's unfair. He may not be one of the best in the world, but he isn't far off.

Someone like Vanessa Mae gets my vote for being overated.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #53 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan

disgruntled elvis fans should
1. pay respect to the real king of rock'n'roll (chuck berry), and
2. watch don coscarelli's "baba ho-tep".

Speaking to #2, EVERYONE should watch that movie!
biggrin.gif

I notice a lot of the banter here is pointed to musicians who aren't really known for their musical prowess. I've never heard of Cobain being credited for being an oustanding musician. I think his message, style, songwriting, etc. is held in high regard but no one that I've heard think he (or Elvis for that matter) were outstanding musicians.

My personal definition of a musician is someone who sings or plays an instument. I argue the point that rap "artists" are not musicians since they aren't singing (99% of the world can talk) and there is usually no one playing an insturment since it is all D & B tracks and sampling.

Jul 24, 2006 at 9:49 PM Post #54 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riordan
yes. i'll even go further and claim that this is the one true OBJECTIVE answer to the question. why? "most overrated" implies a very high rating that is completely unfounded. now who else in pop music is commonly rated as high as "the king"? only the beatles are. don't get me wrong, elvis was a good singer, had charisma. but that's it. "the king of rock'n'roll"? that claim is as hilarious as any alien abduction theory.

It gets into the issue of what exactly "overrated" means to begin with. If you ask people to name a musician with great technical prowess on his instrument or a perfect combination of voice and singing technic, I don't think many people would mention Elvis or any of the Beatles. You might find some flashy guitarist who is actually hiding behind a weak technique or lacks innovation and is yet considered a guitar god even by the critics, and that is someone who would be truly overrated. I guess that is where people are going with Kenny G, but again I never really thought of his as a critically acclaimed saxaphonist so much as a guy who makes music that people find very easy to listen to.

Anyways, back to Elvis and the Beatles. They will often get listed on "Greatest" rock and roll artists, songs, albums, etc. lists. To me the word "great" has two meanings, "better than good" and "bigger than large", and when someone is making a "greatest" list, both meanings count. It becomes not about what song you think is best, but what really good song inspired millions of people? Nirvana was neither the first band with their type of sound nor the most talented, but they were the ones who were able to get everyone listening to it. They deserve a degree of acclaim in that regard, just as Elvis does. But to the extent that some people think that Elvis "invented" rock and roll or that Nirvana was creating something unique, that is when they become overrated.

Jul 24, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #55 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by seantx
I argue the point that rap "artists" are not musicians since they aren't singing (99% of the world can talk) and there is usually no one playing an insturment since it is all D & B tracks and sampling.

I'm not even a fan of rap but that's not at all true. There are usually people playing instruments during live sets. 99% of the world can talk...but they can't all rap.

If you don't like rap that's one thing, but saying there are no musicians in rap is foolish...you need to check out The Roots...

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #56 of 216
Ludwig Von Beethoven for starters. What the hell was all that B.S. about "Es muss sein" anyway? GAYZORZ! Who the hell could respect music writen for obese socker moms being cranked out of a minivan's stock stereo? Kenny G and Beethoven get to steppin'! BOOYEAH!

Elvis Costello is second up to bat. How many records do you think he would have sold if his name was Larry Costello? None. Well maybe his mom would have bought one if her sons music didn't put her int he ground. There's nothing more vulger and vomitus than a no talent hack that rides the coat tails of thier first name. Larry Costello, strike three yer out-a-here!

Miles Davis. Oh woe is me i'm a disturbed junkie. I have to make all this dark brooding jazz that only posers will pretend to like to look cool. Please love me to make up for how much I hate myself. Boo hoo.

Tom Waits, see Miles Davis.

John Cage, the man that single handedly turned Avant-Guard into Avant-'Tard. Not only did he suck but he spawned an bong load of no talent ass clowns like Glenn Branca and his turd "the assension". I'd add him to the list but he's not over rated, nobody liked Glenn to begin with.

Radiohead, I mean the album Creep was good but what happened?!?! They must have started hangin' out with Cypris Hill or sumfthin because they went insane in the membrain. Who could follow OK Computer and Kid A? Who wanted to!?! Give me coldplay any day.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #57 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
Someone like Vanessa Mae gets my vote for being overated.

Mae is overrated for her look -- grossly so; to my Asian eye she looks positively ugly. There has never been any doubt that her technique is anything but mediocre.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #58 of 216
Ludwig Von Beethoven for starters. What the hell was all that B.S. about "Es muss sein" anyway? GAYZORZ! Who the hell could respect music writen for obese socker moms being cranked out of a minivan's stock stereo? Kenny G and Beethoven get to steppin'! BOOYEAH!

Elvis Costello is second up to bat. How many records do you think he would have sold if his name was Larry Costello? None. Well maybe his mom would have bought one if her sons music didn't put her int he ground. There's nothing more vulger and vomitus than a no talent hack that rides the coat tails of thier first name. Larry Costello, strike three yer out-a-here!

Miles Davis. Oh woe is me i'm a disturbed junkie. I have to make all this dark brooding jazz that only posers will pretend to like to look cool. Please love me to make up for how much I hate myself. Boo hoo.

Tom Waits, see Miles Davis.

John Cage, the man that single handedly turned Avant-Guard into Avant-'Tard. Not only did he suck but he spawned an bong load of no talent ass clowns like Glenn Branca and his turd "the assension". I'd add him to the list but he's not over rated, nobody liked Glenn to begin with.

Radiohead, I mean the album Creep was good but what happened?!?! They must have started hangin' out with Cypris Hill or sumfthin because they went insane in the membrain. Who could follow OK Computer and Kid A? Who wanted to!?! Give me coldplay any day.

Jul 25, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #59 of 216
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Mae is overrated for her look -- grossly so; to my Asian eye she looks positively ugly. There has never been any doubt that her technique is anything but mediocre.

Haha! That's really harsh, but funny too
tongue.gif
She does have a very nice italian violin though...

Jul 25, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #60 of 216
Eric Clapton

and after i saw him live, i was even less impressed.

as for Kenny G... i was at a little sushi restaurant in LA about 12 years ago, and in sauntered the G-Man himself. all of a sudden the stereo got cranked up, and one of his sickly saccharine albums came on. the G-Man nodded approvingly and took his table in the corner. i just about puked my uni.

to this day i regret not telling Ken Goldberg that just because he made that tripe, doesn't mean he can force us to listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back