Most overrated headphones of all time?
Jul 26, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #16 of 121
HD 650 is my pick.

Jul 26, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #17 of 121
I bought a pair of Goldring DR150s based on a 5-minute listening test and universally positive reviews. They are pure crapola. Ear-piercing highs, sibilance, tinny, blah, blah, blah. Break-in matters not. My only true waste of money.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #18 of 121

Quote:
I agree about the hd800s, and I'm a senn fan. They put so much work into making them a technical marvel they forgot about making them sound musical and emotional. They are a technical marvel though. Just don't have any soul. I just don't get lost into the music when I listen to them.

You need better music then. The HD800s give you what you give them.
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #21 of 121
Both the HD650s and HD800s are great phones...as long as you rip off the stock cables and throw them far, far away.  Wrote up a review about my own experience with them here.

Agreed on the Beyers.

Jul 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #26 of 121
For me, the most over-rated has been the HD650s. I am not disappointed by them, or don't like them, but just that I don't think it lives up to the praises heaped upon it by most people. 

It's heavy, not particularly comfortable, is the least comfortable to wear out of all my headphones. I feel "clamped-in" when I wear them.

The sound is okay - it's wrong to fault headphones or speakers for sounding different, but in general it doesn't sound any better than the other $250-$500 headphones I've owned or listened to, just different. I find that it doesn't do anything particularly well, merely satisfactory for headphones in this price range.  Definitely worth the price, but not more.

I don't think being "over rated" is a bad thing, just that the product happens to be extremely popular. 

Edit: I must case a "not-over-rated" vote for the K70x series. :)

Jack

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 121
This is depressing.  I thought this thread was gonna be a nice whinging thread on how cans are getting dearer and dearer, making this hobby dearer also.  Looks like the most amazing value cans are also being most voted as being over-rated.  Therefore I have no choice but to agree with...

Quote:
this thread is overrated.

the above statement.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #29 of 121

Quote:
This is depressing.  I thought this thread was gonna be a nice whinging thread on how cans are getting dearer and dearer, making this hobby dearer also.  Looks like the most amazing value cans are also being most voted as being over-rated.  Therefore I have no choice but to agree with...

the above statement.
evil_smiley.gif

I agree with you guys...had some hopes...but this thread is a FAIL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back