bcasey25raptor

Aka: Brycon Casey
aka mental patient
aka Enter Darkness
aka Shurefan
aka reaperofaudio
aka everyone knows
aka very funny
I'm gonna say I think sennheiser Sony Bose monster and skullcandy are the most overrated brands. What do you think are the most overrated brands?

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 120
Apr 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 120
I'm gonna say I think sennheiser Sony Bose monster and skullcandy are the most overrated brands. What do you think are the most overrated brands?

How are you basing this? Price, performance, buzz, something else?

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 120
Bose, beats, monster, grado, and koss.

That's pretty solid, I'll add AKG and Beyer.

Vote Sennheiser be removed from the list due to the 800, 800S, 600, 650, 598, 660

Apr 23, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 120
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 120
Koss is... OVERrated? I’ll agree to Bose, Sony and to an extent Skullcandy (I don’t think they have the cachet that Bose or Sony might have)... but Koss? People laugh at Koss. I love some Of their stuff (Pro4S and KPH30i). Sennheiser? Yeah, I could see that... the 650 is heavenly though.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 120
Dunno about Sony (rarely hear people speak about them at all)
Totally disagree with Sennheiser being overrated though. Even though it's not my Taste they undeniably have a few gorgeous cans in several price regions.

Edit: just realized, this was a Necro from 2011...

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 120
Edit: just realized, this was a Necro from 2011...

Bah!! Thx for pointing that out. :) My q still stands tho... why is Beyer overrated?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 120
Koss is... OVERrated? I’ll agree to Bose, Sony and to an extent Skullcandy (I don’t think they have the cachet that Bose or Sony might have)... but Koss? People laugh at Koss. I love some Of their stuff (Pro4S and KPH30i). Sennheiser? Yeah, I could see that... the 650 is heavenly though.
The only thing from Koss I had that wowed me was a bookshelf stereo, and a pair of pc speakers back in 95. Their headphones sound hollow to me, even the electrostat was ..... eh. Clear yes, but overall *yawn*

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #13 of 120
That's pretty solid, I'll add AKG and Beyer.

Vote Sennheiser be removed from the list due to the 800, 800S, 600, 650, 598, 660

Sennheiser is probably the most overrated audiophile headphone brand there is honestly and has some of the most diehard fans. I like the HD 6xx line but they do get excessive praise and many fans of them act like anything that deviates from the HD 6xx sound signature too much sucks. The HD 800/S is a bit more mixed among the crowd. AKG is kinda dead and a shadow of their former self and Beyer often gets just as much hate as praise but Beyers are popular overall so they are not underrated and some Beyers are definitely overrated. Beyers contribution to this hobby is often overlooked interestingly enough. This hobby wouldn’t exist in the form it is today if not for Beyer as they invented the dynamic driver and the high fidelity headphone. While I believe Koss made the first stereo headphone. But not sure how they sound as I never owned a Koss, they don’t tend to get a lot of attention so I wouldn’t call them overrated.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 120
Sennheiser is probably the most overrated audiophile headphone brand there is honestly and has some of the most diehard fans. I like the HD 6xx line but they do get excessive praise and many fans of them act like anything that deviates from the HD 6xx sound signature too much sucks. The HD 800/S is a bit more mixed among the crowd. AKG is kinda dead and a shadow of their former self and Beyer often gets just as much hate as praise. Beyers contribution to this hobby is often overlooked. This hobby wouldn’t exist in the form it is today if not for Beyer as they invented the dynamic driver and the high fidelity headphone. While I believe Koss made the first stereo headphone. But not sure how they sound as I never owned a Koss.

Great. Beyers make my teeth hurt, the Senns I've come across don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back