Most of the Sennheiser and Sony Sucks real bad! normal??
Jul 20, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #31 of 120
I know that they look just like these pathetic sonys... that is not helping them either...
wink.gif

If you are listening them... be sure to try a full burned-in pair or else the bass will be weak and mids a little tin... they need at least 15 hours to be reviewable
wink.gif

Good luck and keep me inform of your impression
smily_headphones1.gif
orphsmile.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #32 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
only Sennheiser's HD280Pro's come close, in my humble opinion.

I love my 280's but I'll be the first to admit that they get destroyed by several of the other Senns (HD555, HD595, HD580, HD600, HD650), and a couple of the Sony headphones.

If you need isolation the only two Senns you should be trying are the HD280Pro and HD-25's.

In regard to Sony, it's highly acknowledged here that only a few of the headphones they make (most notably the CD3000 and R10) are of audiophile quality.

I fail to see what the point of this thread is though. If you love you're Yamaha's then good for you, but arrogantly coming in here and making a blanket statement is going to earn you nothing but enemies. It certainly won't help you get your message out that you think the Yamaha's can stand their own against headphones costing much more.

BTW, before you go making claims like this, spend some real time with the stuff you're trying to put down, and spend it with the stuff people are using to listen to it. Otherwise, qualify your claim... Say "I've tried X on Y and in my experience, I liked/disliked it for the following reasons:" That will get your message across much better than saying "Everything you guys like sucks... only the thing "I" like is any good." especially when you have limited/no experience with the things you are trying to put down.

I'm sorry to welcome you on such a sour note, but welcome to Head-Fi. I hope I wasn't too harsh and that you'll find useful information here that will help you to find audio nirvana.

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #33 of 120
im sorry... but that is my opinion about some sens and sonys i have heard...

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #34 of 120
Quote:

im sorry... but that is my opinion about some sens and sonys i have heard...

...and you are welcome to your opinion, just don't be an arrogant jerk and try to make blanket claims that you cannot fully support.

Something else to think about. When it comes to Audiophile products the law of diminishing returns really does play a large roll. The best bang for the buck would be a $2 headphone... it puts out sound that you can tell is music and to the unexperienced ear, may even sound good. Above that, you're paying for refinement. As you go up the scale, you pay more for less... it's reality. If your plateau where you're not getting more utility for the additional money is at $30-50, good for you. It'll save you a lot of money, run while you still can. If you stay here you could spend $$$$$$ to find what truely makes you happy and have a lot of disappointments along the way. For the rest of us, there's a lot of value in the refinements above $30 - 50 and where we stop is unique for each of us.

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #35 of 120
I think i choosed the wrong title to start this thread
wink.gif
sorry about that... i realise that i was kind of rude in my statement.

I will try to follow with complete review and comments of the cans i try.

Thanks for the tip

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:32 AM Post #36 of 120
Quote:

I think i choosed the wrong title to start this thread
wink.gif
sorry about that... i realise that i was kind of rude in my statement.

I will try to follow with complete review and comments of the cans i try.

Thanks for the tip

You're welcome, and again, welcome to Head-Fi!

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #37 of 120
while you may think, based on what is believed by Rotel and yourself, that the Rotel is pretty good for driving heaphones, it still does not hold a candle to a dedicated headphone amp...even the cheaper portabe ones at Headroom.
i agree with some of what you are saying, but the reality is, every single audio company out there has a crap line of audio products. the bigger the company (i.e. the huge Sennheiser and Sony Co.), the more chances and potential you have for coming out with more ok quality or even crappy quality audio products. this may not be true with every company, but it sure is the case most of the time. again, every company has its good and bad products. that is just a fact in the consumer market. live with it and don't just attach or label such a general notion to a few companies of which you found products you didn't really like based on YOUR PERSONAL OPINION. it makes no sense to do so and shows your bias big time, which is fine, until you try to hide it behind stating something like it is fact when it is clearly not. and the other people are also correct in saying do not bash something of which you have not heard, especially something that couldn't show its full capability and full potential because you weren't driving it on optimal equipment. sure, most things won't sound good on equipment that won't show its full potential...what else is new???

Jul 20, 2004 at 9:36 AM Post #38 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurui
Damn, stop bashing a phone you haven't heard
rolleyes.gif

At least he was able to tell that the Sonys and lower Senns suck (I'm sure he heard the HD570) so his assumption on the Yamaha can't be that wrong.
Although he probably should audition some Grado or Beyerdynamic phones if possible
wink.gif

Have all the people bashing the 570s actually heard them? My reference point are CD3Ks running from an AOS DAC and PPA - and they sounded pretty good to me. Good bass, nice highs. Sure there are better cans around, but the 570s are fine for most people.

Jul 20, 2004 at 10:18 AM Post #40 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Yes, the Rotels tend to have good headphone sections, but no, they are not really optimized to drive 300-ohm cans like the higher-end Senns. Certainly the Rotel can drive the low-Z Yamahas adequately (and it should be OK with the Sonys), but probably not the Senns. So you probably are not, in fact, really getting as much out of the 580s/600s as people with dedicated headamps are.

Actually, I find the Rotel amps drive high impedance headphones better than they drive low impedance ones. The effect of having a high output impedance seriously muddies low impedance phones. This is less of a problem on high impedance phones, IME.

Jul 20, 2004 at 11:55 AM Post #41 of 120
To the original post...

I haven't heard many Sony headphones but I have a personal policy, based on bad experiences with Sony products, to to avoid Sony at all cost unless there is a very compelling reason to buy one of their products.

I love to hear about people liking other headphones to what is normally suggested on head-fi, so knowing about your liking for some Yamaha headphones is very refreshing.

You may like the Senn 580/600/650. Or the Senn 555/595. Or the Audio Technica AT A500/A900.

People seem to think that headphones should be very cheap but i have found that cheap headphone are usually not very good. There are some good headphones between $100-200 though.

Jul 20, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #43 of 120
Quote:

I was out to replace my old and trusty Yamaha RH5Ma, and it turns out that i would have to pay something like 400$ to get little improvement or just more power handling over something that could all ready drive me nuts. Yamaha are not stupid or not experienced in audio... they are not selling headphones at 2000$ and the reason is simple... the RH5Ma are doing it right .. and they dont have to cost that much! Neutral... Punchy... Extended Highs... Large Soundstage... Precise Imaging... Good isolation... Comfortable... Durable... and CHEAP! Most of the people i know are felling the same way about the RH5Ma... including my brother who own some Grados...

I owned these cans before getting a pair of Grado SR60's...the Yamaha's were awful, basically they sounded nearly identical to the Sony V150's (which i also owned back then). From what i recall, they are terrible headphones and no, they don't feature any of the sound characteristics you mention. They sound totally lifeless, but hey, if that's what you like, then so be it.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #45 of 120
The Yamaha RH5MA are lifeless??? woooooo what do you mean by that because i found them everything but lifeless....

Bass light? Tin mids? Muddy Highs? explain...

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back