Most of the Sennheiser and Sony Sucks real bad! normal??
Jul 20, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #46 of 120
I dont want to sounds pretentious or anything but gloco... the type of music you like is hardly ever nicely recorded...

anyway... if lifeless was your way to describe the Yams... i am already done with you...

maybe you heard to much head-shackers.... and forgot about neutrality in the way

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #47 of 120
I think this guy is, whether or not he realises it, trolling to some extent.

A troll is anyone who attempts, either through a single post or through multiple posts, to stir up intense debate over a subject. The primary means for achieving this objective generally include such things as posting a message which is extremely against the grain of the forum consensus, posting messages which intentionally anger, single out, or attack a forum user or a group of forum users without offering good evidence or putting it into a respectful format, at least until midway through the thread, when he finally concedes it's his opinion.

A troll's objective is usually achieved when he has created a flame war, and this thread is nearing that point.

I asked the following question:

"What models did you listen to? Don't give me a range. List them all if you wouldn't mind."

No response.

I think this guy is just pushing an unknown headphone which supposedly is mystically good in order to anger head-fi members. Regardless of the headphone's actual strength, few if any of the head-fiers here are about to go out and attempt to find or buy such a headphone. This gives him further ammunition: he assumes that because we haven't heard it, we are missing out on its incredible sound et al.

His use of an integrated receiver in order to do the reviews on "All Sennheiser models HD497 to HD600" seriously puts a hole in his argument. Almost all of the Sennheiser headphones he listened to weren't in the proper environment (DEDICATED source, minimum of a SMALL DEDICATED HEADPHONE AMP). The Sony headphones, which I am less familiar with, were also similarly put into a bad environment.

Let's just let him have his opinion; we have already given enough advice about accurately evaluating headphones (use a good standalone source, amp, recordings) to make it good.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #48 of 120
I might give it a try if I have time, because I like Yamaha better than Honda.
tongue.gif

For the record, I respect Yamaha as a good musical instrument maker too. My first electric guitar was Yamaha SG500.

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #49 of 120
I will from now on will be more coherent and precise in my comments.
orphsmile.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:50 PM Post #50 of 120
Would someone direct me to the Ignore function please? I've never had occasion to use before.

Thanks,

BW

Jul 20, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #51 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
Would someone direct me to the Ignore function please? I've never had occasion to use before.

Thanks,

BW

You cannot add a user to the Ignore list without first looking up the user's public profile. There, you will see something that says "Add <username> to your Ignore list". Click on that.

Jul 21, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #52 of 120
silentservices,
i accept your admited apology and am thankful that you now see what was done wrong. not only did you unintentionally stir up sh@!, but you continued to do so by posting more of the same mumbo jumbo in order to again unintentionally stir up sh@#. just know in the future that we head-fiers require that in order to make sound judgments of headphones, one must have at least average, or above average listening environments...meaning adequate equipment to do the task at hand. you can't judge a 20k speaker by running it off of a cheap, 100$ Sony receiver, can you? i didn't think so! it just doesn't make any sense. it would be like me judging your particular Yamaha headphones after running them off of just a crappy pcdp alone. it doesn't hold true to the said headphones true capability. i hope you can understand this, and will hopefully learn to give any future headphones you audition a fair shot by running them off of adequate audio equipment. even more, just because you assume that most of Sony's and Sennheiser's budget line of headphones all sound equally crappy, doesn't mean it is true. many companies such as Sony and Sennheiser have their one of two headphones in their budget line that have such a quality that matches headphones costing twice as much as they are sold for. phones such as the Sony CD1700, or Sennheiser HD280 (or some of their PX series...not sure which model it was) have very nice sound that i'm sure rivals your precious Yamahas. oand one more thing, which is probably the most important thing you couldlearn from this. whe opinion is at all involved in a situation, such as the one we're in, nothing can EVER be regarded as fact or set in stone. what you might think is crappy sounding, or not worth the money in any way, might be another story for another. i for one most likely consider some of the Sennheiser phones you consider as unworthy, as great headphones for their type of sound and rice range. so again, anything that has to do with opinion is never fact...only in your own mind should it be considered anywhere near fact, which even then you should leave open to possibility, opinion, and an open-mind type of thought.

Jul 21, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #53 of 120
hehe i think he was trying to singlehandedly make a new favor of the month, you should know that only people like lini, and jan meier be able to do that
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #54 of 120
I don't see what all this fuss is about. It's normal for head-fiers to say 'most' Sony and Senn headphones suck, it just isn't normally stated in this way. There are only a few from each of these manufacturers ranges ever recommended here so that pretty much means the rest of their range is not too good. That's what the thread title states and it doesn't go against the grain as far as I can see.

You guys are getting too offended by someone's opinion. Just ignore the thread and it will go away.

I can't comment on that Yamaha headphone because I have never heard or seen it, so I'll leave that alone.

Jul 21, 2004 at 1:50 PM Post #56 of 120
The title was probably bad intended / bad written

I know that sennheiser cans doesn't suck at all -there's a research job around these cans , sennheiser try to sort out the best and with hd650 the naturalest can and they achieved a good result ( and the can is also a detailer and bla bla bla bla ..)

It's probably a work of passion thaat lead to designing and building the senn cans .

But i really agree on the thread purpose .

Some cans really costs too much , and they can cost so much only becuase there are audio addict (as me) who would do anything to try the right ear' match or to get the newest product , to try it out .

The love for the music tend to carry some absurd with .

I am an audio addict and love to be , but i fully understand that for ex. the senns hd650 costs maybe close to 10 times up the price sennheiser pay for building up a pair .
The research job can't really cover the resting 9/10 .

Jul 21, 2004 at 2:47 PM Post #58 of 120
The focus of this thread is drifting around thanks to the creator, who seems himself to still be searching for what he wants, or wants to give. I won't comment further for fear of being reprimanded myself.

Anyway, I must confirm from what I've heard around here that the lower Senn and Sony models are not worth getting, even for half the price. Their sound isn't nearly as perfect (A factor that depends on the individual) as their higher-end relatives. I've heard some of the lower-end Sony's myself and they are terrible! It sounded like Sony was trying to get good sound out of a piece of steel wool.

Silent, if you're looking for reccommendations, now would be the time to ask, for we can help you. Throwing random statements supporting your Yamaha headphones at us doesn't seem to be helping the thread progression.

Jul 21, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #60 of 120
Again i am sorry about the way this thread was understood, but what i was trying to say is that in my opinion of audiophile and speaker builder, i find that MOST ( not all ) cheap sonys and sens dont deserve the price tag they usually have. Again thats my opinion ... i know that they are appealing sometime to other groups of people that audiophile like us.

And about trying the headphones on bad equipment, i really think the rotel jacks are neutral, powerful enough to show a headphones strength or weakness at least. The high impedance Sens that i listen trough the rotel were not in any way struggling, bass and highs were tight and grain free up to really loud volume. The overall presentation was just sometime not even or convincing... ( again dont take me wrong here... its a general statement about the cans i have try this day... i did like some really much, but just too pricey for my taste compare to others )

- MY OPINION -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back