Most of the Sennheiser and Sony Sucks real bad! normal??
Jul 20, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #16 of 120
I did like the HD 600 but are a bit too pricey... for the beyer i would have to find a place where they have them
wink.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #17 of 120
First, I'm none too impressed by the reviews that look like they're from audioreview.com. Look, comparing them to cheap Sony's for most people means comparing them to V-crappyDJ phones. Beating those doesn't mean much. Second, we have no idea what else these people have actually heard. Yeah, the one guy said he'd heard all kinds of other stuff, and said only the HD280s came close. Well, lots of people will tell you that many cans from AKG and Senn sound better than the HD280s. So I'm not sure how helpful these reviews are.

In addition, if you think the Senn HD595s, which are less than (though right around) $250, are "congested" and "muddy" then I'm not particularly moved by your opinion, either. (Though I could see that for, say, the HD477, no problem.) It almost sounds like you're trolling. Well, maybe not, your comments on what cheap Sonys sound like seem pretty reasonable.
biggrin.gif

And yes, Yamaha makes some good audio stuff, but they also make some crap, too. The speakers on this shelf system from them I have are singularly unimpressive (and have been replaced), and some of their computer speakers are equally horrific. So, saying "oh, it's Yamaha, it must be good" is not compelling. (Neither is saying that for Sennheiser--there are many Senn models which routinely get bashed around here, and not just the cheap ones, e.g. HD570. And I think most Head-Fi'ers would agree that most all the cheap Sonys are also awful.)

So, in answer to your question for what it would take? I'd have to hear them. Find a Head-Fi meet near you and go, and take them, and see what people think. (Try not to tell them exactly what it is they're listening to--maybe tell 'em they're some kind of Ultrasone prototype or something.
eek.gif
) That'd be much more convincing.

I will admit, though, that I'm curious a little, and if I'm ever in a shop that has these, I'd give them a listen.

Jul 20, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 120
Yamaha used to make great speakers. I don't remember the model numbers, but some of their 3 way studio monitors were used throughout most of the world's recording studios. They are still highly sought after even today, after all these years.

Recently Yamaha has been making mediocre consumer speakers. How far they have fallen from their former grace.

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 120
I said that the HD 600 was good!!! cant you read all the lines? but considering they are 5 times costier... FOR ME they dont worth it...

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 120
But you also said.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
I was expecting Sennheiser and sony to make decent headphones for 250$ but it turned out to be false...

So, F: You're an oxymoron
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 120
ok... i think i said someting wrong... the title of this thread is in some way... implicate that i said that the HD580 and HD600 are bad... well...

not really... they sound good, its true... but i dont feel they worth that much considering the sound that i get via my 45$ yams... you understand...?

And stop about the *Decent Rig* the amplification section of the rotel are even better then some specificaly made headphones amplifier... really... if they dont sound at least good on that... well... i hooked a rock by mistake...

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:22 AM Post #25 of 120
Damn, stop bashing a phone you haven't heard
rolleyes.gif

At least he was able to tell that the Sonys and lower Senns suck (I'm sure he heard the HD570) so his assumption on the Yamaha can't be that wrong.
Although he probably should audition some Grado or Beyerdynamic phones if possible
wink.gif

-Taurui

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentServices
ok... i think i said someting wrong... the title of this thread is in some way... implicate that i said that the HD580 and HD600 are bad... well...

Yeah, gosh, can't imagine how "I was expecting Sennheiser and sony to make decent headphones for 250$ but it turned out to be false" might give people the impression you think that, since the HD580s can be had NEW for under $200.
rolleyes.gif
So, yes, you basically did say the Senn 580s suck.

Look, if you want to point out that you really like the Yamahas for $45, that's great--talk about that. But if you're going to rip some of the most well-respected cans here and expect peaches and cream in response, well, get a grip.

Quote:

not really... they sound good, its true... but i dont feel they worth that much considering the sound that i get via my 45$ yams... you understand...?

Yes, that make sense--but that's not what you said in your initial post, and that's not what your thread title implies. "Hey, the price/performance ratio for the high-end Senns isn't good enough for me" is NOT the same as "All Sonys and Senns under $250 suck," which is certainly how your thread title and initial post read. Maybe that's not quite what you meant to say, but that's certainly consistent with what you did say, and that's what people are reacting to.

Quote:

And stop about the *Decent Rig* the amplification section of the rotel are even better then some specificaly made headphones amplifier... really... if they dont sound at least good on that... well... i hooked a rock by mistake...

Yes, the Rotels tend to have good headphone sections, but no, they are not really optimized to drive 300-ohm cans like the higher-end Senns. Certainly the Rotel can drive the low-Z Yamahas adequately (and it should be OK with the Sonys), but probably not the Senns. So you probably are not, in fact, really getting as much out of the 580s/600s as people with dedicated headamps are.

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 120
I'd be interested I hearing how the Yams sound, like SunByrne mentioned find a Head-Fi meet near where you live and bring the Yams with you and explain to others how you feel about them. Let others hear for themselves and see if their findings are similar to yours. I don't know of any other members here that own a pair of Yams to give any reviews. As it stands right now I don't buy into your review of the Yams unless I've got a chance to listen to them.

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 120
Thanks Taurui, this little help is welcome
wink.gif

I do like the Grados
wink.gif
in fact they are my second favorite but leaks too much for the use i make...
frown.gif
I remember that i heard a pair of Beyer long time ago in a ProShop... the housing was weird... like a grey-blue plastic with strange shaped holes... i know that THESE in particular were horrible... but i heard that some beyer are quite good... i have to ear them to judge...

EAR to judge... nice concept
wink.gif

i am listening Doug Macleod, a AudioQuest label record... and it sound sublime in these yam...

ever heard a AudioQuest CD??

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #29 of 120
I found a near-by shop which carries them, maybe I'll compare them to my KSC-35
wink.gif

From the looks, they look almost identical to Sony VcrapDJ so I'm not really expecting much, but I'm still intrigued.

-Taurui

Jul 20, 2004 at 5:41 AM Post #30 of 120
other detail i forgot... im in canada... and i had the canadian price in mind when i said that
frown.gif
my mistake...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back