most MUSICAL headphone for the buget-minded
Feb 7, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #47 of 57
Kelly-

I am considering adding a Beyer to my collection. How would you compare the sound of the 831 to the 250-80? I seem to remember that the 250-80 is easier to drive, or am I mistaken?

Jon

Feb 7, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #48 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by jona
Kelly-

I am considering adding a Beyer to my collection. How would you compare the sound of the 831 to the 250-80? I seem to remember that the 250-80 is easier to drive, or am I mistaken?

Jon

Jon

The 250-80 should be easier to drive. As to the sound, I keep asking that myself and so far haven't gotten many replies. If I ever find someone in real life with a set of 250s, I'll be sure to post my impressions.

Kelly

Feb 9, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #49 of 57
In response to Jon's attack on the Sennheiser HD497, I feel that I must defend THE MOST MUSICAL HEADPHONE I HAVE EVER OWNED. Jon talks about the Grados' wonderful strings and clarity of woodwinds, he's mentioned it before in posts. It's getting old. You know why? Because you only tell half of the story, Jon. You forgot to mention to our friend Bass Man the Grados' one big sonic MAR, you know what I'm talking about. You KNOW what I'm talking about. The seriously VEILED treble? Huh? What's that? Oh, and what about the fact that they have almost NO SOUNDSTAGE? Come on, is that what you call musical, Jon?
-------------------------------------------------
To Bass Man

Sorry for appearing like a sarcastic wise a**, but you have to understand that when somebody disses on your headphones that you love with a passion, yes I am in love with my headphones (I'd marry them if I could), you tend to take things very personally, plus he made comments like those on a review that I made on my headphones, and I kept my mouth shut, so it has been boiling up inside for a while. Now onto the HD497, clarinets aside, geez, the HD497 is a wonderful headphone. Jon might have found fault with the bass in that it didn't have as much weight, but it is quicker and punchier, and goes just as deep, just not as bass-heavy as the Grado's. The midrange is oh so slightly recessed, so woodwinds might sound a tad light as well. Big waaa it's not flat, it's more musical that way. The reason why I am in love with the HD497 is that it not only puts you in the music, but it also has a wide soundstage, and it has more musical energy than probably any other headphone out there. Jon probably hasn't auditioned them for the full 40 hour break-in, that's the minimum required for awesome sound. I have not used them for classical or jazz, but I listen extensively to rock and pop on them and am amazed at their sound. The bass is deep, extremely well defined, very tight and very punchy, the midrange is very soulful and articulate, if a little recessed-not noticeable though, and the treble is very, very, very detailed and articulate. The energy of the performance is conveyed very well through these headphones and the sound just moves you spiritually, with a well-recorded source, of course. I would recommend ordering a pair through Headroom and trying them for 40 hours, they have a 30 day money-back satisfaction guarantee. It can be argued how well clarinets sound through them, but who cares? It's the music in general that counts. It's not about how accurate a headphone is, it is about how MUSICAL a headphone is. The low end Grado's are about as sedate as the Sony MDR-V6, If you want a clue to the sound of the HD497, take a Grado SR-125's up-front sound and punchy bass and detailed treble and combine it with the Sennheiser HD570's overall sound and wide soundstage, minus the HD570's bright treble, add lots of energy and a tacky space age look and you've got the HD497.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:54 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by bass man
speaking of grados,

someone suggested Alessandro Music Series One, which perform like the grado sr-125 for the same prices as the grado sr-80

Alessandro Music Series One--- $99.99
Grado sr-80 ------------------------ $99.99

has anyone did a A/B comparison between the two?

once again, i WISH i can audition to all of this headphones but i CAN NOT find any of these headphones LOCALLY. i have to order my headphone online so im TRUSTING fellow head-fiers for thier opinions and suggestions.

I have listened to SR-60's, SR-80's and SR-125's as well as the MS-I's. However the only two I had at the same time were the 60's and the MS-I's. The MS-I's are definitely better as far as clarity and frequency balance compared to the 60's. Personally I think they are better than the 125's but that is from memory, not a direct comparison. In addition the MS-I's are easily driven by most portables (even my anemic Nomad II MG) but improve significantly with an amp, unlike the SR-60's. As always IMO.

Feb 9, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #51 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

The 250-80 should be easier to drive. As to the sound, I keep asking that myself and so far haven't gotten many replies.

Lol, this forum is getting to us! You are starting to *think* forum language. I bet that alot of us say I-M-O in real life instead of In My Opinnion.

I have even found myself embaressingly screaming out, "Lol, Lol", when something funny happens in real life.

*shrugs*

We're all doomed.

Feb 9, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #53 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
In response to Jon's attack on the Sennheiser HD497,

Umm, which attack was that?

Quote:

I feel that I must defend THE MOST MUSICAL HEADPHONE I HAVE EVER OWNED.

When you own several more pairs of higher-end cans, your opinion is likely to change
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Sorry for appearing like a sarcastic wise a**, but you have to understand that when somebody disses on your headphones that you love with a passion, yes I am in love with my headphones (I'd marry them if I could), you tend to take things very personally

He had his own opinion and what he considered more "musical". It was hardly an attack. You need to lighten up and get out some more. Different people have different opinions.

Quote:

I have not used them for classical or jazz, but I listen extensively to rock and pop on them and am amazed at their sound.

You may want to listen to them with other genres of music if you want to make an accurate review.

Quote:

It's the music in general that counts. It's not about how accurate a headphone is, it is about how MUSICAL a headphone is. The low end Grado's are about as sedate as the Sony MDR-V6

I doubt many people on Head-Fi would label Grados as "sedate".

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #54 of 57
violetta88-

I never meant to attack anything. I was just giving my own opinions. If you enjoy your HD 497's that is wonderful. Isn't that what this forum is all about- helping people (and their budgets!) with finding cans and related equipment that they enjoy? As I have posted before, peoples ears and ear canals are as individual as fingerprints. Since cans and the sound they generate must interact with those ears, we will all perceive the music a bit differently. In addition, the various sonic colorations of different cans from different sources may be perceived as pleasant or unpleasant by different people. That is why I have also stated that I prefer not to buy audio equipment I have not heard with my own ears. In fact I often enjoy listening to different cans BECAUSE of some of the sonic differences between them. In the end, I can only say that I find my Grado's to have a comparatively good soundstage and I do not perceive them to have a veiled treble response. For the reasons stated above, I would also defend anyone's right to disagree with my opinions and to buy whatever cans they like better.

If there were only one source/amp/cable/can combo for everyone for all genres of music, the world (and this forum) would be a boring place.

Peace.

Jon

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

but you have to understand that when somebody disses on your headphones that you love with a passion, yes I am in love with my headphones (I'd marry them if I could), you tend to take things very personally, plus he made comments like those on a review that I made on my headphones, and I kept my mouth shut, so it has been boiling up inside for a while.

Different strokes for different folks buddy. Take a chill pill and sit down and have a cup of tea would ya?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #56 of 57
Sorry for taking things so personally, my parents have been rationing my caffeine supply and I'm going through withdrawal, so I'm a little testy right now. The only thing in the house to drink is grape Kool-Aid, and that isn't helping. As to the Grado's, I guess some people have become accustomed to their sound and think they are accurate. I have nothing against the SR-125's and above, I just feel that the 60's and 80's need to be rid of the veil and muddy lower-midrange that put a hamper on listening enjoyment.

Feb 10, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #57 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by violeta88
Sorry for taking things so personally, my parents have been rationing my caffeine supply and I'm going through withdrawal, so I'm a little testy right now. The only thing in the house to drink is grape Kool-Aid, and that isn't helping.

Want me to mail you some teabags in an envelope with University letterhead?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back