most MUSICAL headphone for the buget-minded
Feb 3, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #16 of 57
I've owned the Sony 7506 and the Grado SR-80 and the Koss KSC-35.

I still own the Koss KSC-35.

For the money you won't get a BIG improvement with the Sony or Grado. I can't help with the Sennheisers.

Feb 3, 2002 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 57
I enjoy the V6, and they can sound musical, but they really need to be paired up w/ a warm source, like say a Panasonic pcdp. The KSC-35 are excellent values. Don't know about the Senn 497s...

Feb 3, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #19 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
I enjoy the V6, and they can sound musical, but they really need to be paired up w/ a warm source

Good point, dh.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #20 of 57
Personally I feel one of the most overlooked "budget" phones is the Alessandro MS I. You get at least (I think better and more balanced) SR-125 sound for the SR-80 price. I own all three Alessandro's and the MS I's are the real leader in the pack when it come to price versus performance. As always IMHO, YMMV, BBB
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #21 of 57
Just to express my opinion, I have the Sony 7506 for 3 months now and I find them to be not very musical from time to time. Althought depending on the type of music I was listening to and how it was recorded, they sound good too sometimes.
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't had the chance to listen to other headphones yet (I am still waiting for ksc35 from headroom since I ordered them 5 weeks ago
mad.gif
) and I can't wait to hear how the Grado line up sounds like.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:37 PM Post #22 of 57
What the..?? Since when was the V6 musical??

Ok, I don't have it myself but...

confused.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
What the..?? Since when was the V6 musical??

Ok, I don't have it myself but...

confused.gif

Are you directing that comment to me?
frown.gif
I never said they are musical, I just said they are "good". In fact, I have been complaining about them being not musical since the day I got them. But as time goes on, I seem to have adapted to them and I dont' think of them as badly as I did once. But I still can't wait to try other headphones like grados.
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 57
hey, so many choices and im confuse now

sony v6 is out [too analytical and dry]
grado sr-60/sr-80 is out [senn. hd 497 sounds better than the grados]

but i have increase my buget to $120 USD, now my choices are:

the most MUSICAL headphones

1) koss ksc-35 [the athletic phone]
2) Alessandro Music Series One [sounds and looks like a grado]
3) senn. hd 477/497 [the underdog]
4) ety. er-6 [ety sound for half the price]

which one should i get?

Feb 4, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #25 of 57
Well, I can't tell you which one to pick, but I do have to agree with the crowd in saying that the v6 is not what I would consider the most musical of headphones. I love my v6s, but that's just not their strength.

Now, I will say that if you're getting into er-6 range, you could find some used sennheiser 580s..........

Feb 4, 2002 at 5:02 AM Post #26 of 57
V6 is a POS dont believe the hype. POS = piece of ****, just so non english speaking individuals get it.

I would stay with the KSC35's or go for a pair of headphones that were more of a definate upgrade!

I would get #4 on your list. The ER6's will outperform the other headphones mentioned.

Feb 4, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #27 of 57
whats best MUSICAL headphone?

1) koss ksc-35 [the athletic phone]
2) Alessandro Music Series One [sounds and looks like a grado]
3) senn. hd 477/497 [the underdog]
4) ety. er-6 [ety sound for half the price]

IMO, MY definition of "MUSICAL" is enjoyable and pleseant to listen to. a "musical" headphone works great with every genre to music from bass-pumping of electronica to soft tone of classical.

i WISH i can audition to all of this headphones but i CAN NOT find any of these headphones LOCALLY. i have to order my headphones online so im TRUSTING fellow head-fiers for thier opinions and suggestions.

i still undecided :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

MY definition of "MUSICAL" is enjoyable and pleseant to listen to. a "musical" headphone works great with every genre to music from bass-pumping of electronica to soft tone of classical

Feb 4, 2002 at 7:22 AM Post #30 of 57
If musical means enjoyable/fun to listen to, then you want the Grados, not the Sonys. The Sonys offer a flatter response, closed design and better build quality. They're perfect for light studio work and roadies and they're easy to drive so they're good to have around. The Grados will probably fit your requests more, though.

Kelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back