Most messed up impression: What I think about the AD1000PRM and W5000
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ra97oR

CanJam London 2016 Karting Champion
Note: This is not an everyday review that you see, if you hate this style, fine, so be it.

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM, Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Amp: HA5000 reproduction version

Source: Asus Xonar Essence ST modded

^ Not excately a high-end system, but I haven't gotten any needs for upgrading.

Both headphones are stellar performers; to me there is actually no clear winner here, only differences in preference. Although I will be keeping both, they accompany each other very well. I will instinctively reach for one or the other at different times, where one might shine the most.

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM - Concentrated Audio Ecstasy?

This pair of headphones is pretty much under the radar in Head-Fi as it is a limited edition Audio Technica where it is not actually a “Flagship” product and mostly only seen sold in Japan.

Now, I have this pair of headphones for nearly two years and tried many phones but none does makes my feet tap as easily as they can. To describe them, I am just gonna call them, concentrated audio ecstasy, where it easy get my heartbeats raised and seriously messed up foot tapping. It is extremely fun and exciting to listen to, but does actually wears me out. Most the time, I just call “that is enough fun for today, I need to catch up my breath” around 1.5 hours of music listening on it.

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 - Smooth Flowing Aural Bliss?

As the current flagship headphone that Audio Technica produces, they have quite some honor to defend themselves. Well, I think they are doing pretty well.

Surely, I only got this a few days ago. But at the time I bought my AD1000PRM, I was deciding W5000 or the PRM. So I am quite familiar with its sounds and know what to expect. I described them as smooth flowing aural bliss, because the way music sound through it, is never very forceful, it just flows out naturally. It’s a relaxing phone, where it does reproduce the recordings effortlessly. Where I only found STAX setups (mainly O2MK2 with SRM-007t) and LCD2 is rivalling in that respect. Compared to the AD1000PRM, it doesn’t pumps the music into your ears, but simply flows into your brain. Even though it sounds so perfect on paper, it have never gotten me into a feet tapping frenzy. But to sit back, relax and slowly enjoy the ride.

Having typed all that, they both have a very different job to do and they are doing a great job currently. I hope someone out there actually understood a single word I written down here. :rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 10
so sad that ad1000prm don't even has its wiki page, not mentioned appreciation thread ==
Actually so far I still couldn't decide which I prefer between the prm and ad2k though they sound quite different to me, ad2k more like a all-rounder than prm though, hmm..
And actually the only problem I'm having with the prm is how to keep it from dust ==

As a woody-hater, I've been neglecting the w-series so far orz.. Just wonder does it feel heavy on head?

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 10
Hmm, that is strange. I have heard two different pairs of AD2000 with my PRM with multiple amps and source too at the London meet. They all sounded extremely similar to me.

On the W5000 weight issue, while they are heavier, they don't really feel that heavy to me. The AD1000PRM is surely lighter and more comfortable, but W5000 is not too bad either.

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 10
PRM to me more like a mixture of ad1000 (which I don't really like the tonal balance) and ad2000, some differences between prm and ad2k are like ad2k somewhat little more on-the-face and perhaps balanced..

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #6 of 10
To me, heard multiple pair of AD2000s, demo pair in Japan, owner's pair and a modded pair. The PRM and the AD2000 sounds very similar, if not identical. The earpads and the fit makes a huge difference, that might be what you are hearing. Also, it may be true that the PRM need more amping than the AD2000. I heard people reporting AD2000 sounds great straight from an iPod, which is not the case with the PRM, or worse, the W5000.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #8 of 10
Piano and strings, sounds seriously beautiful on the W5000. The way they extend upward and sounding with that awesome texture makes them my favorite phone that I have for that kind of music.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Piano and strings, sounds seriously beautiful on the W5000. The way they extend upward and sounding with that awesome texture makes them my favorite phone that I have for that kind of music.

Absolutely. I just sold my pair, but only because of a tight budget and other essential upgrades that had to take precedence. There is no doubt that another W5000 will be revisiting my system in the future. 

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Note: This is not an everyday review that you see, if you hate this style, fine, so be it.

Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM, Audio Technica ATH-W5000

Amp: HA5000 reproduction version

Source: Asus Xonar Essence ST modded

^ Not excately a high-end system, but I haven't gotten any needs for upgrading.

Both headphones are stellar performers; to me there is actually no clear winner here, only differences in preference. Although I will be keeping both, they accompany each other very well. I will instinctively reach for one or the other at different times, where one might shine the most.

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000PRM - Concentrated Audio Ecstasy?

This pair of headphones is pretty much under the radar in Head-Fi as it is a limited edition Audio Technica where it is not actually a “Flagship” product and mostly only seen sold in Japan.

Now, I have this pair of headphones for nearly two years and tried many phones but none does makes my feet tap as easily as they can. To describe them, I am just gonna call them, concentrated audio ecstasy, where it easy get my heartbeats raised and seriously messed up foot tapping. It is extremely fun and exciting to listen to, but does actually wears me out. Most the time, I just call “that is enough fun for today, I need to catch up my breath” around 1.5 hours of music listening on it.

Audio Technica ATH-W5000 - Smooth Flowing Aural Bliss?

As the current flagship headphone that Audio Technica produces, they have quite some honor to defend themselves. Well, I think they are doing pretty well.

Surely, I only got this a few days ago. But at the time I bought my AD1000PRM, I was deciding W5000 or the PRM. So I am quite familiar with its sounds and know what to expect. I described them as smooth flowing aural bliss, because the way music sound through it, is never very forceful, it just flows out naturally. It’s a relaxing phone, where it does reproduce the recordings effortlessly. Where I only found STAX setups (mainly O2MK2 with SRM-007t) and LCD2 is rivalling in that respect. Compared to the AD1000PRM, it doesn’t pumps the music into your ears, but simply flows into your brain. Even though it sounds so perfect on paper, it have never gotten me into a feet tapping frenzy. But to sit back, relax and slowly enjoy the ride.

Having typed all that, they both have a very different job to do and they are doing a great job currently. I hope someone out there actually understood a single word I written down here. :rolleyes:

Sorry to dig such and old thread. I am curious about the amp you are using in this review stated "HA5000 reproduction version". 1) Is this the original AT-HA5000 or those clone that are sold on ebay? 2) If they are clone, may i know if they sound close or different to the original? 3) If they are clone, could it be possible to add a link where I can buy 1 (there are like 3 type of clone HA5000 on ebay so really like to know which one you are using).

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back