Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K-1000.

x3

k1000smile.gif

X4 but the GS-1000 would be after that
k1000smile.gif
gs1000.gif

The Senn HD600 falls apart in complex passage, so the HD650 does very well too, just falling short in the strong highs of the violins *taking cover from the backlash daverose is about to unload on me for saying this
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #18 of 31
I voted K701 but out of these I've only had extensive listening with the K701 and RS1 and of the rest I've only ever heard the HD600, GS1000, A900, and A900LTD, none of which nearly enough to give a valid impression.

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #19 of 31
I've been pretty inactive in the headphone hobby for the better part of a year (I'm pretty happy with the gear I own).

Interesting to see that, in spite of the initial K-701 craze, Senn is still the consensus pick.

Also interesting to see no picks for SA-5000, and very few for Beyer. Those would been mentioned much more frequently a year or two ago. Also would have expected a higher vote count for the GS-1000, given Headroom's review.

/likes the way both AKG and Senn sound

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 31
HD650 hands down. The prominent bass gives an intense sense of presence, and since the soundstage is far away, the instruments have a lot of room to move around. I absolutely love my HD650 with any classical, from full symphony to symphony/choral to chamber type music.

Having said that, I also really enjoy the HD600, particularly for choral parts. I have been doing an AB with the HD600 and HD650 for the past few nights on Harnoncourt's "Mozart's Requiem", and have found that while I prefer the HD650 overall, the HD600 adds a "sweetness" to the vocals that I find quite touching. Sort of a ridiculous word to describe sound, I know, but it was the first word that popped into my head when I heard it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senn HD600 falls apart in complex passage, so the HD650 does very well too, just falling short in the strong highs of the violins *taking cover from the backlash daverose is about to unload on me for saying this
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Well all I'll say is that on my HD650s, Heifetz hasn't sounded more alive! And I'll leave it at that.
icon10.gif
But, robm321, I think the GS1000 is going to be the next expensive headphone I'll try. Grados are the next brand I like after Sennheiser, so might as well see what their expensive offerings are about!

Feb 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 31
I'll be the sole Audio Technica voice
wink.gif
I have a pair of W1000s and paired with the right tubes in my MPX3 SE SLAM can sound every bit as good as the Sennheiser 650s that I own, if you accept their own "version of the truth".. it's tough though to declare an absolute winner, and that's why I own both.

However, if I move over to instrumental jazz, I definitely prefer the Audio Technicas over the HD650s.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #24 of 31
Hmm, Might order me some HD650 to use with my select classical stash and see why so popular.
Best price i found was 299.00 . That bout the best price new? Anyone know anywhere for less before i purchase?
I found some for less and if i get amazon visa they take 30.00 more off so then would be
238.00 . That good price?

Well after extensive searching best i got was 238.00. Guess if i don't like them i just resell em.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #25 of 31
In terms of the major cans I've heard in your list (K701, SA5K, SR-325i/225, RS-1,
HD595/650, DT770/880), I would also place the HD650 hands down as the best
classical headphone.

The tonality and fullness of the HD650 are perfect for classical music. I would have
kept the HD650 if it hadn't been for issues with comfort. As for the other cans, the
Grados just have to in your face and unrelenting for classical. The lack of
soundstage/headstage just isn't suited for classical music. The SA5K is quite an
interesting can in terms of classical; I enjoy it very much but it's just too "unnatural"
for presenting classical music in the way it was meant to be. The DT880 is quite
good in terms of classical music in my opinion. The soundstage and air is quite
excellent, but the HD650 beats it to the ground in terms of richness. The K701 is
also a great headphone for classical, but as before, the HD650's richness and
fullness is the best for classical.

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG K-1000.

x3

k1000smile.gif

x5

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been pretty inactive in the headphone hobby for the better part of a year (I'm pretty happy with the gear I own).

Interesting to see that, in spite of the initial K-701 craze, Senn is still the consensus pick.

Also interesting to see no picks for SA-5000, and very few for Beyer. Those would been mentioned much more frequently a year or two ago. Also would have expected a higher vote count for the GS-1000, given Headroom's review.

/likes the way both AKG and Senn sound

The GS-1000 @ $1K is not going to ever get as many votes and the more accessible 650s which have been in the market for years now. The K701 will be more prominent as the years go by as well. It's still relatively young.

So, these polls are hardly scientific. It doesn't suprise me that there is 1 comment about the R10 which is at another level then most phones mentioned here, but not a huge number of owners out there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverose
Well all I'll say is that on my HD650s, Heifetz hasn't sounded more alive! And I'll leave it at that. But, robm321, I think the GS1000 is going to be the next expensive headphone I'll try. Grados are the next brand I like after Sennheiser, so might as well see what their expensive offerings are about!

Well, you might actually like the GSs because you have a solid system for them. That is necessary because they reveal EVERYTHING.

I've thought about getting the HD650, but I don't know if I have time for it. I'm trying to minimize. Not only that, but I really like my HD600 and have to sell them because it just doesn't get much time now unfortunately. They both deserve attention but the problem is time... oh yeah, my speakers get first dibs over my headphones too.

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you might actually like the GSs because you have a solid system for them. That is necessary because they reveal EVERYTHING.

I've thought about getting the HD650, but I don't know if I have time for it. I'm trying to minimize.

The test for the GS will be classical guitar!!!
biggrin.gif
If it has the detail and timbre for Julian Bream, then they're keepers in my book. From our previous exchanges, it just seems like you like a more detailed headphone then what the HD650 is. For my ears, preference, it's spot on for tonality. Your ears are different, so you have your k1000 and GS1000
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #29 of 31
Hopefully some people read this can help suggestion about the HD650s.

I currently own Beyerdynamic 880s. From those of you who've used them, how do you like the HD650s compared to the 880s? What areas do you feel one is stronger than the other at? I haven't used the HD650s so far, but after reading so many votes on them for classical music, I'm half tempted to buy one since I have so much classical.

Feb 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDarkTrumpet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully some people read this can help suggestion about the HD650s.

I currently own Beyerdynamic 880s. From those of you who've used them, how do you like the HD650s compared to the 880s? What areas do you feel one is stronger than the other at? I haven't used the HD650s so far, but after reading so many votes on them for classical music, I'm half tempted to buy one since I have so much classical.

I have listened to both 880 and 650. DT880 has good bass extension but 650 will offer the weight and impact in bass section. After listening to 880 if you wear 650 you will feel the impact of bass prominently. You may or may not like it. Some people complain that 650 is having more bloated bass. It all depends on the set up they use. To my ears 880 seems to have more details and good separation of instruments. DT880's treble was what troubled me, so I returned back to the seller and kept 650 with me.
DT880 minus harsh treble would beat 650 for classical symphonies. So for now 650 will remain as my favorite for classical.

In short,

DT880: most comfortable to wear, has excellent instrument separation, more detailed than 650, comparatively bright, more treble

HD650: more bass impact, less detailed than 880, less fatigue than 880 (bcoz of less treble), slightly rolled off highs (IMHO rolled off highs helps 650 to sound more natural), comparatively dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back