Most immersive classical music headphone
Feb 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Simple question, vote away
cool.gif

IEMs, discontinued models, and electrostats excluded because, well, I'm only really interested in full-size dynamic headphones that are in production right now. Sorry.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 31
Symphonies, HD650 all the way (tonality can't be beat)

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 31
Well... the real answer is electrostats, but since you excluded them, then probably the HD650 w/ Zu Mobius.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 31
Out of all of the headphones I have used, none of them does classical like the HD650. What I really like about them is the high treble extension and the nice, hefty weight they give to things like timpani drums.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 31
I also think the HD650 is one of the best headphones for classical music. Just yesterday I was listening to some classical music, particularly violin music: Arvo Part's Tabula Rasa (Gil Shaham), and Paganini´s Capricci (Itzhak Perlman). Used a Bel Canto Dac 2 and my modded Toshiba as sources, my recently finished Dynahi as amp, and HD650s + Zu as headphones . The richness and clarity of the sound in those violins is so amazingly beautiful in this setup and with these headphones.

Cello also sounds simply wonderful, even in relatively old/poor recordings. I have the Bach Cello Suites played by Pablo Casals (old recording) and also by Rostropovich (much newer), different styles by two masters, also very different recordings, yet both sound so wonderful...

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 31
A good Stax system for classical music - the SRS-3050A - starts at 900USD + S&H. A good dynamic system based on the HD650/GLite (for example) will cost 600USD + S&H. The extra 300USD is quite a substantial amount of money.

Timbre wise, I think the K701 is more accurate than the HD650, but the K701 doesn't have the rich mids and more prominent bass that really makes symphonic works come alive. Nevertheless, the K701 is still the dynamic headphone of my choice for small ensemble, solo instrument, etc while the HD650 takes the crown for symphonic works, large choral, organ, etc.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simple question, vote away
cool.gif

IEMs, discontinued models, and electrostats excluded because, well, I'm only really interested in full-size dynamic headphones that are in production right now. Sorry.

uh...dude..you been here for a while now I thought you figured this out, many thousands of posts before, already.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back