Most glorious male voice ever?
May 17, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #76 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Daniel Gildenlow of Pain of Salvation.

+1
Gildenlöw really is my favorite out there. He can do pretty much anything...even go around rapping and make it sound ok
tongue.gif

I just love his voice, the range, and most of all the emotion he can put into it!
For a quick introduction I recommend anything of this list (it's taken from a live DVD and as such has better quality than most bootlegs out there):
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

May 17, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #81 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just listened to "morning has broken" by Cat Stevens from the Best of Cat Stevens. The timbre in his voice will bring on gooseflesh!

This has been a favorite song of mine for some time. I really enjoy the whole cd, Hard Headed Woman and Wild World also sound fantastic.

On a Chieftains cd, you can find a Diana Krall/Art Garfunkel cover of the song. It is completely different, but worth listening to.

May 17, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #82 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by blinx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally i would say Frank Sinatra. Everything that man sang was wonderful, from his early years to right before he died

Absolutely true. Every word, every note.. perfection!

And of course Michael Buble. Listen to his version of Moondance, I love it! And of course the song "Everything".

Good stuff.

May 17, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #83 of 138
No way to pick the best ever for me. But someone needs to mention Dean Martin.

Beyond the pure crooners, the most glorious debate for me would have to include David Sylvian's baritone.

May 17, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #84 of 138
Rob Halford!

Steve Perry was great as was Freddie Mercury.

Whoever said Phil Collins...mmm, dunno if he should rank up with the greats, but he is for sure underrated. He tried hard anyway.

Others who I think are great...Steve Winwood, Rob Younger from Radio Birdman/New Christs, Robin Zander, and I think Robert Plant certainly deserves to be listed among the greats.

I think Elvis may be a candidate for the top 10, as well. I'd have to think about that a little harder though to be sure.

May 17, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #85 of 138
Tom Jones - pure power
Louis Armstrong - unique
Nat King Cole - silky smooth
Freddie Mercury - rock (I'm not a queen fan, but he had one hell of a voice)
Peter Hammill - unique (again)
Frank Sinatra - effortless

May 17, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #86 of 138
Definitely not Chris Cornell. The man can sing, but he certainly does not enter the rank of glorious.

And Louis Armstrong is definitely unique, but his voice was too crackly for my taste. If you listen to his most popular song; what a wonderful world, you can hear him wheezing after he finishes what I would assume is supposed to be a vibrato.

May 17, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #87 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely not Chris Cornell. The man can sing, but he certainly does not enter the rank of glorious.

And Louis Armstrong is definitely unique, but his voice was too crackly for my taste. If you listen to his most popular song; what a wonderful world, you can hear him wheezing after he finishes what I would assume is supposed to be a vibrato.

I just had a listen, didn't hear any wheezing... about where in the song is it?

May 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #90 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About every time he finishes a vibrato

I don't think that's wheezing, which is a high pitched breathing sound... what I hear is the trailing edge of his gravely voice ... of course, YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back