Most glorious male voice ever?
May 16, 2007 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 138

amphead

Headphoneus Supremus
Just listened to "morning has broken" by Cat Stevens from the Best of Cat Stevens. The timbre in his voice will bring on gooseflesh!

May 16, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 138
Just want to know if anyone has listened to "morning has broken". I think I have a new listening addiction!
wink.gif

May 16, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #3 of 138
I had a college roommate who loved Cat Stevens. That voice is among the worst I've ever heard. Wretched. No depth. No nuance. Like too many pop singers, he cannot sing. Why he became so popular was a mystery. Your thread title is extremely misleading. Most GLORIOUS male voice? Oh, Enrico Caruso, WIndgassen, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Christof, and several dozen more opera singers. Stevens is a zero compared to them. Jeez, even country singers Clay Walker, George Strait are better.
One of the saddest commentaries on how low American cultural standards have sunk is that people like Cat Stevens are considered great, when they don't even deserve to mentioned alongside names like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and others of that generation. True musicians all. Can you tell I don't like Cat Stevens, or whatever his new Muslim name is...

May 16, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 138
Most glorious? Timo Koltipelto, no doubt. He's got a beautiful voice, and it takes real vocal talent to make Timo Tolkki's wonderful but sometimes awkward lyrics work as well as he makes them work.

Both Timos are from the Finnish metal band, Stratovarius, of course.

I think Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) has a nice voice for the kind of songs he sings, but I wouldn't call it glorious...

May 16, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 138
There are many good male voices. Some of the ones I like are:

- The guy who won the Rockstar: NXIS program. Really cool grating sound.
- Bono's. Can't explain why I like it, I just do.

and last but not least

- Malcolm McNeil. Probably not many people would have heard of him, but he does really nice Jazz, and has a great voice. He's a New Zealander, so it will probably be hard to find his music.

May 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 138
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a college roommate who loved Cat Stevens. That voice is among the worst I've ever heard. Wretched. No depth. No nuance. Like too many pop singers, he cannot sing. Why he became so popular was a mystery. Your thread title is extremely misleading. Most GLORIOUS male voice? Oh, Enrico Caruso, WIndgassen, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, Christof, and several dozen more opera singers. Stevens is a zero compared to them. Jeez, even country singers Clay Walker, George Strait are better.
One of the saddest commentaries on how low American cultural standards have sunk is that people like Cat Stevens are considered great, when they don't even deserve to mentioned alongside names like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and others of that generation. True musicians all. Can you tell I don't like Cat Stevens, or whatever his new Muslim name is...

He now lives in London and has been refused entry into the US because of his comment about the author Salman Rushdie. I still can't get enough of "morning has broken" though.
Thanx for the replies! :wink:

lossless>tascam cdgt1>headbanger-deluxe>K701

Users who are viewing this thread

Back