Most glorious female voice ever?
Apr 14, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #124 of 154
Most glorious? That is a very hard topic, each artists have its own sound signature. How can I choose? So far all of the female artists that I like have its own strength and weakness, I love all of them, no more no less.

If they want to marry me then I will be happy to, no matter how old they are. No joke...

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #125 of 154
I can't decide, whether it's Sandra Nasic (from Guano Apes), or Shirley Manson (from Garbage). Both can stun me very easily
redface.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #126 of 154
There's a lot i can't stand at all.. but a few off the top of my head that i like are:

Kate Bush
PP Arnold ?
Joanna Newsom (for something different)
Sandy Denny

loads more probably.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #127 of 154
I've recently been listening to Norah Jones a lot. I'm also fond of many of the aforementioned artists.

One to add, Renee Fleming's operatic works. Her operatic vocal albums are wonderful, but I got one of her more contemporary works and it didn't work for me.

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #128 of 154
Ringo Shiina. She does things with her voice that I didn't know were possible.

Beth Gibbons. No explanation needed.

I didn't want to retread the obvious so I threw in two of my very favorites. =)

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #129 of 154
I don't get why there are so many different options. Billie and Ella, then a huge gap, then anyone else.

As much as I love Rebecca Pidgeon and Margo Timmons and Sara K, etc., they're just awesome. Billie and Ella were Billie and Ella.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #130 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get why there are so many different options. Billie and Ella, then a huge gap, then anyone else.

As much as I love Rebecca Pidgeon and Margo Timmons and Sara K, etc., they're just awesome. Billie and Ella were Billie and Ella.

Huge Gap

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #131 of 154
I have to through in my vote for Allison Krause as well. Second would be Natalie Merchant, nothing gives me chills like her acapella version of "Let the Mystery Be"

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #133 of 154
A couple I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if I missed):
Shirley Horn - I put her up there with Etta and Billie.
Etta James - maybe not glorious, but hot damn!
Natalie Maines - not into a lot of the Dixie Chicks songs, but I love her voice

Have to say I'm surprised to see Natalie Merchant mentioned a couple times. I've never been able to listen to her for more than a few seconds. To each his own, I guess.

Apr 15, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #135 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple I haven't seen mentioned (apologies if I missed):
Shirley Horn - I put her up there with Etta and Billie.
Etta James - maybe not glorious, but hot damn!
Natalie Maines - not into a lot of the Dixie Chicks songs, but I love her voice

Have to say I'm surprised to see Natalie Merchant mentioned a couple times. I've never been able to listen to her for more than a few seconds. To each his own, I guess.

Ella right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back