Most "gentle" dynamic headphones?
Dec 21, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 33
I'd have to say the K501's are quite definately headphones you could relax with. The comfort level sure doesnt hurt there either. The highs arent what I'd call rolled... but they are quite smooth and non-fatiguing, while remaining fairly detailed. No worrys about impact either, there really isnt any to speak of, and when you get a really hard midbass kick it's more like a gentle thump than a "omg I think I got a skull fracture" type deal.

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
ROFL.

I did try to find CD1700s once but they appear to have vanished. OTOH, I expect they might be too forward. I'll do the research.

I had both the CD1700 and the 501, you want the AKG K501, I hope you have an amp, you will need an amp for them.

MDR-F1 are not audiophile headphones IMHO, very comfortable though, but that's about it.

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
... you want the AKG K501, I hope you have an amp, you will need an amp for them..

Singlepower MPX3 on deck.
cool.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #19 of 33
I too find the K501 the most gentle.

--Chris

Dec 21, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #20 of 33
I have the MPX3--stock tubes-- and DT 880s. On some older rock recordings there is a tiny bit of sibilance that you have to almost be listening for to hear. I can listen to these phones for hours with no fatigue. As for vocals, I just purchased the Louis Armstrong meets Oscar Peterson CD and Satchmo was in the house with the DT880s.

Dec 21, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #21 of 33
Another recommendation of the K501. AKGs don't have a rolled treble, but they do have a wonderfully refined and natural treble. I haven't heard dynamic phones that do treble more enjoyably.

Dec 21, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
MDR-F1 are not audiophile headphones IMHO, very comfortable though, but that's about it.

As with all headphones, they are very upstream dependent. The weakness is that they tend to be a bit sluggish and flat in the midrange. A good amp will get rid of the flatness, but they will never be the ultimate in detail. If "gentle" is desireable, this may actually be a positive in this particular application, as they are most definitely not aggressive in the mids, nor are they bright. They are also the only headphone that gives you a taste of what the K-1000 is about, at a fraction of the price.

There are no impedance issues between F-1 and Supra, and I doubt there would be an issue with MPX-3. I use the F-1 with my Supra and EAR HP4. Those particular amps can really make it sing. I'd even call it an "audiophile" headphone in those setups.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #23 of 33
Crap. I think you're right. Finally checked the SOnyStyle website and it says that the F1 has an:

Quote:

• Impedance Compensator -unlike other full-open headphones, the MDR-F1 requires no amplifier impedance matching; built-in equalization circuitry eliminates the variations in sound quality caused by amplifier impedance differences.

I guess I can continue researching the F1.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #24 of 33
Carlos,

the K501 or the DT880 would seem ideal (if you have a powerful amp).

The difference between the two is that the K501 has a slightly more dynamic treble (more pristine sounding) and the DT880 has a better left to right soundstage imaging than the K501 (which has a slightly more hard left / hard right soundstage).

Between the two, the K501 is definietly more comfortable. For a little more bass and treble "oomph" you can replace the K501 cable for about $25 with either Belden or Mogami low impedance Quad cable.

Since you are into boroque, the K501 at about $100 used looks like a good buy over the $250 DT880.

It will all depend on the recording as to which you might prefer. Female vocals are definetly more silky and intimate on the DT880, though. But if you listen critically, you should find that the K501 does better triangles and piano high notes, and perhaps horns. For rock they are very close, with the DT880 having the better bass slam, if not extension. But, again, it will depend on the recording, and if there is any really low notes to beigin with. I find most rock to be bass boosted and treble bright, which either should mitigate.

Neither headphone should be fatiguing. But you'll be able to wear the K501 a lot longer.

I have not heard the K240S, but the K501 looks more comfortable.

Dec 21, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #25 of 33
Another vote for K501.
It's strange some people (like me) find their highs to be rolled off, while others say it's not. Maybe it depends on the amp?! Anyway, I can confirm the highs are of very good quality.
I also disagree with the impact description. For me they DO have impact, they are actually very dynamic and for me this is one of the things that make them so musical, but their transients are not so very very sharp, the mids and highs do not "scream" at you and the bass lacks weight to a considerably degree - all these traits accounting for a very non-aggressive sound.

Dec 21, 2003 at 9:25 AM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally posted by Carlos3
ROFL.

I did try to find CD1700s once but they appear to have vanished. OTOH, I expect they might be too forward. I'll do the research.

Sony MDR-CD1700

Dec 21, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #28 of 33
Audio-Technica W100's (not W1000's!) - hands down. These are all about the midrange. This is their greatest strength. A bit thick in that area though, with other ends of the spectrum being too rolled off for me. But that sounds like what you looking for.

For a more accurate, yet gentle, headphone, search around for an old pair of AKG K340's. These are a hybrid design with two drivers (an electrostatic and a dynamic) to handle high and low frequencies. These are long discontinued, but can be found for sale occasionally here or on eBay. They are a bit demanding to drive too.

I think the A-T's are your ticket.

Dec 22, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #29 of 33
the cd1700 fit your criteria, except that with a less than ideal source they tend to "throw everything at you" as someone here once described it.

Dec 22, 2003 at 2:11 AM Post #30 of 33
Definitely go for the Audio-Technica ATH-W100 if midrange is your primary concern. It's superior to both the AKG501 and CD1700. In fact, there may still be one available at the moment in the For Sale forum as we speak. $250USD would be a fair price for a used W100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back