Most fun headphones you've ever heard...
Jun 18, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #46 of 86
None for me whatsoever. This came after many years of listening to vastly different-sounding headphones, often after each and every song. And all this changing over the years have made me into an ultra-finicky listener: Either it's completely accurate or completely unlistenable. An analogy to my experience is that of a dog's taste buds: Keep changing flavors, and the dog won't eat much after a while.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #47 of 86
None for me whatsoever. This came after many years of listening to vastly different-sounding headphones, often after each and every song. And all this changing over the years have made me into an ultra-finicky listener: Either it's completely accurate or completely unlistenable. An analogy to my experience is that of a dog's taste buds: Keep changing flavors, and the dog won't eat much after a while.

Jun 18, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #48 of 86
None for you whatsoever? Yes quite agree "fun" is a concept I can't really accept.

However - in my 48 years in audio I never came across a 100% accurate transducer. I've come across a good handful of sublime transducers - Quad ESL 57, Verity Parsifal, MG 20, Duetta, Koetsu Rosewood Signature, ML CLS IIz w/ Gradient subs; HFM HE-6, MrSpeakers Voce, various Stax models -

So does that mean you listen to nothing? Do you listen to multiple transducers for different music?

Maybe its just semantics. I start with the assumption that nothing is perfect and I'm trying to maximize my sound given my resources and tastes. In there I often find enjoyment, but actual fun? I think joy and bliss are better than fun.

Jun 19, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #50 of 86
So does that mean you listen to nothing? Do you listen to multiple transducers for different music?
It's that I listen to a couple of different headphones (or earphones) based on my listening environment.

And I agree with you that no transducer - loudspeaker or headphone - is 100% accurate. Unfortunately, most so-called "fun" headphones are so severely colored that I deem them completely unlistenable.

And if a headphone sounds good on some types of music but not on others, then I deem it to be significantly (if not severely) colored. And there are a few headphones that I had in the past that didn't sound good on anything.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #51 of 86
It's that I listen to a couple of different headphones (or earphones) based on my listening environment.

And I agree with you that no transducer - loudspeaker or headphone - is 100% accurate. Unfortunately, most so-called "fun" headphones are so severely colored that I deem them completely unlistenable.

And if a headphone sounds good on some types of music but not on others, then I deem it to be significantly (if not severely) colored. And there are a few headphones that I had in the past that didn't sound good on anything.

I have to agree.... a fun headphone is like a roller coaster - fun for some, not for me. That's why i just translate "fun" to "enjoyable" or "most enjoyable".

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #53 of 86
According to many youtube reviewers Argons are extremely enjoyable and fun to listen to.
Strange that they have not been mentioned in this thread.
But maybe that's just because there are not many of them out there

Jul 13, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #54 of 86
Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart or Ultrasone Pro 900. I would say the B&W P9 Signature is the most fun, but it's not hard to tell that it has a level of accuracy superior to that of the TH-X00 Purpleheart and Pro 900, or to put it another way; the P9 Signature is closer to reference level than the other two.

Jul 13, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #55 of 86
I don’t have a ton of experience listening to a variety of headphones, but from what I have heard, the answer is easy—the Meze 99 Noir (with smaller pads). It has a very bassy, relaxed tuning that sounds great and non-fatiguing when cranked up. It is a non-fussy headphone when it comes to source gear and recording quality, so nice out of a phone but even better with desktop DAC/amp; sounds great with meticulously engineered studio recordings and still fun with poorly mastered or lo-fi 4-track home recordings. And it offers the right mix of good soundstage, imaging, detail and smoothness to make listening both enjoyable and engaging.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #57 of 86
I thought "fun" in the headphone world meant not accurate. So for me that would be the Sennheiser HD8 DJ. Not close to flat or accurate but done extremely well. A true guilty pleasure.

Jul 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #58 of 86
I'd probably have to say the Beyerdynamic DT1770. Boosted bass, but very fast and articulate. Treble is definitely up in level, but relatively even. Mids are nice and flat. It all adds up to a really fun listen, even at lower volume levels. It's really hard to find a headphone that's fun at low volume IMO.

Based purely on fun, the Z1R comes close, but falls just short because the treble can be somewhat uneven.

Jul 15, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #59 of 86
Quote:

I respect your opinion and agree with you to some degree. The way we react to music depends on our mood indeed, but there's no running away from the fact that no matter what mood you're in, sometimes gear can change it, at least for me. Music made me laugh when I was feeling down with HD212's, with HD650's, its complete opposite. No matter how pumped up I am to listen to some tunes, once I put them on and play the music, serious face comes on and I just sit and listen, without being excited or engaged.

I mean, yesterday for example, a situation which made me start this thread in the first place happened, and made me realize something about my headphones. I was listening to a stereo system in my room which consists of Monitor Audio RX1 speakers and Yamaha A-S700 amplifier. Its is a really fun, musical and engaging system, it makes all music feel very lively. I was listening to some Dire Straits, and was really excited, jumping around like an idiot and playing air guitar and drums...
biggrin.gif
However, my room mates came back from collage and I had to switch to HD650's to not bother them with noise. My excitement sort of vanished in a couple of seconds with HD650's, because they simply sounded boring and not engaging or lively at all, they just manage to take all the fun and excitement away. That's what I mean by fun / engaging sounding headphones or boring / dull / distanced sounding ones, and HD650's are DEFINITELY boring. I knew that since I bought them, but I guess I subconsciously forced myself to like them until now. Anyway, I'll most probably replace them with Beyer DT990, Denon D2000, Philips Fidelio L1 or Grado SR325, but I have to try those first, they don't look very comfortable.
Yeah, I feel you. My 650s are boring too, and that's probably why I only use them through my receiver for videogames. They sound decent for battlefield.

Aug 1, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #60 of 86
Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart or Ultrasone Pro 900. I would say the B&W P9 Signature is the most fun, but it's not hard to tell that it has a level of accuracy superior to that of the TH-X00 Purpleheart and Pro 900, or to put it another way; the P9 Signature is closer to reference level than the other two.

How do the Pro 900i's compare to the Purpleheart, in terms of sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back