Most epic internet scam revenge ever!!
Feb 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, yeah, I agree... But I wasn't trying to judge anyone, including the thread posters, especially since I hadn't read the thread. I just meant that I wouldn't want someone's impatient nature to result in my public ruin (though I understand that this guy was a scammer).

Late last year, I was involved with an eBay seller who sold a bunch of items, accepted payment, then disappeared. My fellow buyers and I wound up filing police reports when we didn't receive communication. Combined, we were out thousands of dollars. A month and a half later, the seller began responding: he had been badly burned, and while in the hospital, he had developed sepsis from a blood transfusion and had nearly died. In the mean time, he should have had a relative take care of his obligations, but he was young and frightened of dying, so he had forgotten. The end result: we all received refunds, and were thankful that we hadn't tried to publicly screw him over.

In other words, there were more mature, legal ways to handle this type of retribution than a public smear campaign, even if it seemed justified.

I remember reading about you having your equipment stolen, and given the circumstances, sheer magnitude of scale, and cost of thievery, that case might have justified a public outing, if you had discovered the culprit. But if your thief had stolen cell phones and sneakers... maybe not.

I work for a police department and we get calls about people being scammed all the time and I can tell you 99% of the time nothing happens when it crosses state lines. In some situations similar to this failure to pay for an item as promised is considered as civil but I am not completely clear on that as I am just a full time dispatcher and student. I will ask one of the cops to explain the differences.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #47 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently the internet really is serious business... see below

I do not exactly know what you are trying to get at with this comment, but you have caused me personally a great deal of hardship today with your posting of such an inappropriate link. Your communication seems amiss and without any remorse following up on this activity. This is all I will say on that.

To members..My PC suffered a major defeat just after opening a questionable link Akathisia posted publically, and without any communication as to what the link entailed.
Well my PC is just now healthy enough to resume activity but lost a considerable amount of data. Thank you Akathisia for being so carefree and reticent to accept any responsibility for this "enligtening" experience..

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not exactly know what you are trying to get at with this comment, but you have caused me personally a great deal of hardship today with your posting of such an inappropriate link. Your communication dealing with these antics also seems questionable or amiss saying the least. This is all I will say on that.
To members..My PC suffered a major defeat just after opening the link Akathisia posted publically, and without any communication as to what the link entailed. Akathisia just made my ignore list, (which is pretty hard to do for me).
Well my PC is just now healthy enough to resume activity..was down for over 4 hrs, again thank you Akathisia for being so carefree and reticent to accept any responsibility for this "enligthing" experience you provided HeadFi with. Hope you're happy.

I posted something with no harm intended, as any other head-fi'er would do around here. It has been proven, on many occasions to cause no problems (in Firefox and Internet Explorer), and I was unaware it would ruin your day.

I responded to your post explaining what I know about the site I posted.

When Samgotit came back and said that "grownups" might be working, I responded to him they same way I was addressed. Disrespectfully.

I PM'ed you as well since I am on your ignore list.

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not exactly know what you are trying to get at with this comment, but you have caused me personally a great deal of hardship today with your posting of such an inappropriate link. Your communication seems amiss and without any remorse following up on this activity. This is all I will say on that.

To members..My PC suffered a major defeat just after opening a questionable link Akathisia posted publically, and without any communication as to what the link entailed.
Well my PC is just now healthy enough to resume activity but lost a considerable amount of data. Thank you Akathisia for being so carefree and reticent to accept any responsibility for this "enligtening" experience..

If he posted the link I think he did, then it led to a page with Rick Astley singing a song (a video), and some javascript that moves the window around and opens a bunch of "Alert!" javascript windows.

It wouldn't give you a virus, let alone cause your machine to go crazy like that.

It is possible that it could cause your machine to freeze...if it's about half a decade old.

Sounds like you had some spy/adware/virus/trojan come into being around the same time you visited that link.

I assume the site is "internetisseriousbusiness(dot com)", if you look at the source code, it's just javascript windows.

And I have to ask, why are you not using some kind of browser with some kind of feature like No Script on Firefox?

Feb 15, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #50 of 70
I went to that link. No problems here. Kind annoying with all those prompts... But all in good fun.

Audiofiler, I think you problems were not caused by that link...

Feb 16, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If he posted the link I think he did, then it led to a page with Rick Astley singing a song (a video), and some javascript that moves the window around and opens a bunch of "Alert!" javascript windows.

It wouldn't give you a virus, let alone cause your machine to go crazy like that.

It is possible that it could cause your machine to freeze...if it's about half a decade old.

Sounds like you had some spy/adware/virus/trojan come into being around the same time you visited that link.

I assume the site is "internetisseriousbusiness(dot com)", if you look at the source code, it's just javascript windows.

And I have to ask, why are you not using some kind of browser with some kind of feature like No Script on Firefox?

Correct, the "Alert!" windows read the lyrics to the song "Never Gonna Give You Up"

Quote:

Originally Posted by wikipedia
"Rickroll" Internet phenomenon

The song's campy music video became the basis for an Internet phenomenon known as "rickrolling". It originated on 4chan and took its name from an earlier phenomenon known as "duckrolling", a prank in which someone would post a blind quote to a post allegedly relevant to a discussion that upon viewing would prove to be a non sequitur - specifically, an image of a duck on wheels. Similarly, in a rickroll a poster provides a link they claim is relevant to the topic at hand which actually takes any one who clicks it to the Rick Astley video. This phenomenon spread from 4chan to other sites, becoming widespread enough by mid-2007 to attract some coverage in the mainstream media.[1][2]

In connection with the online meme, "Never Gonna Give You Up" was played and performed at some of the February 2008 protests against Scientology.[3]

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:30 AM Post #52 of 70
Aww, I was expecting some spyware-filled site of maliciousness but the link was apparently just my homepage
frown.gif

tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #53 of 70
A while ago on Hardforum a friend of mine was scammed. He posted the city and town of the guy. A forum member spoke up and said that he lived near the town and he actually ended up driving to the guys house to talk to him. Turns out it was some kid with a lame-ass excuse, the guy talked to the kids parents and everything worked out.

/storytime

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A while ago on Hardforum a friend of mine was scammed. He posted the city and town of the guy. A forum member spoke up and said that he lived near the town and he actually ended up driving to the guys house to talk to him. Turns out it was some kid with a lame-ass excuse, the guy talked to the kids parents and everything worked out.

/storytime

confused.gif
mad.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

HAHA This is classic..
cool.gif

P.S. Sorry for all those smileys

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #56 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading about you having your equipment stolen, and given the circumstances, sheer magnitude of scale, and cost of thievery, that case might have justified a public outing, if you had discovered the culprit. But if your thief had stolen cell phones and sneakers... maybe not.

This may well have been a part of my reaction to this case. If they had caught the people who broke into my truck to rip me off, and I had a chance to help the prosecutors put them behind bars, I would have done whatever it took to do so. If that meant flying back and forth from Cayman several times without being compensated, no problem. It's really not about the money, it's about the personal invasion.

The guy who got scammed was only out $400 and from my read of that thread, he didn't seem all that bothered because of the value of the thing. It's the principle more than anything. People who do these things are fully aware that the odds are greatly in their favor that: 1) they won't get caught and 2) even if they do, the legal system in the US is pretty pathetic so they will simply end up with a slap on the wrist, or at most a month's worth of free meals. So they gain $10,000 worth of electronics with a less than 1% chance of losing one month of freedom and $1,000 worth of wages during that same month. Sad, but true. That's the way the system works when criminals have all of the rights and victims have no rights.

Even in the case at hand, they seem to have everything they could possibly want to build a case against this punk, but it remains to be seen whether the police will be of any use whatsoever. Even if they are, what will happen with this small time con man is handed over to the DA office. Worth it to even bring a case forward against him? If yes, will it be plea bargained away before trial? If not, what kind of wrist slap sentence will he get? Will he actually have to serve the time, or will he get off early?

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #57 of 70
Wow, his Social Security Number, though? While what he did was pretty despicable, I don't know about posting information like that...

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #58 of 70
What exactly is a social security number... I asked someone in an IRC Channel once and they said its how the government tracks you...

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #59 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What exactly is a social security number... I asked someone in an IRC Channel once and they said its how the government tracks you...

irc...
rolleyes.gif

anyway, strictly that is not false. afaik the number is used by the government to keep track of citizens for tax purposes and also to determine if they are a citizen or not. because of its identification power, it is not something you want to be flaunting.

Social Security number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Feb 16, 2008 at 9:57 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, his Social Security Number, though? While what he did was pretty despicable, I don't know about posting information like that...

How the hell they got that info? For me, he asked for it and got what he deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back