Most Emotional Instrumental Regardless of Genre
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Just curious as to what your favorite emotional instrumental track is, be it pop, rock, jazz, classical, etc.

Gato Barbieri's "Europa" for me.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 54
Any emotion?

Happiness: Simple things, like In Dulci Jubilo or The Sailors Hornpipe for example.

Or fear: The Sad Mafioso movement from East Hastings by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Years on and that album still profoundly affects me.

There's a whole LOAD of instrumental music which stirs me but to which I cannot ascribe a specific emotion.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious as to what your favorite emotional instrumental track is, be it pop, rock, jazz, classical, etc.

Gato Barbieri's "Europa" for me.

That one is hard to top isnt it.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 54
Arvo Part's "Alina" might be the most beautiful piece of music I've heard.

Though for raw emotion, the Benny Hill theme song has a strange way of making anything funny.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 54
"Catari, Catari" by John Willaims & Friends off of The Guitar is the Song immediately comes to mind.

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 54
Dream Theater - Stream of consciousness

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #8 of 54
I'm tempted to nominate a few popular pieces such as Pachelbel's Canon or Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. Make fun of them all you want, but stumble across a street musician(s) playing them on a cold breezy night (as happened to me this weekend) and report back.
wink.gif

Otherwise, I have to go with my often mentioned I Will Not Be Sad In This World album by Djivan Gasparyan.

“Without doubt one of the most beautiful and soulful recordings I have ever heard.” –Brian Eno

PLAYERS:
Djivan Gasparyan - Lead Duduk
Vachagan Avakian - Drone Duduk
TRACKS:
A Cool Wind Is Blowing (Traditional) - 4:00
Brother Hunter - 4:03
Look Here, My Dear - 4:04
I Will Not Be Sad in This World - 6:17
Little Flower Garden - 5:00
Your Strong Mind - 6:37
The Ploughman - 4:47
Dle Yaman - 3:59

EDIT: You may want to glance through the old Just Really Beautiful Music thread also.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 54
Bach solo cello.

I forget what it is actually called. When I had magnapans it used to make the hair on my arms stand up. I no longer have the speakers and keep meaning to ask everyone here for the best recording on CD for headphones.

Mooch

Here's a link to one sample of this music. I have no idea if it is one of the best.
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Cello-Sui...8946153&sr=1-1

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Evil Dan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Requiem (Mozart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
he wrote it for his own funeral
my personal favorite part of Requiem is Lacrimosa

I considered suggesting this, but the question was what is the most emotional instrumental work and Requiem features a choir.

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arvo Part's "Alina" might be the most beautiful piece of music I've heard.

Funny, for me his Spiegel Im Spiegel is just about the most moving piece of music I've ever heard. So incredibly simple, but it punches me in the gut every time.

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 54
Strange choice for a blues/rock/reggae/jazz lover, but I always get choked up whenever I hear Elgar's Cello Concerto, played by Jacqueline Du Pre, especially given her later illness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back