Most durable yet tolerably sounding IEM <$100
Jan 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #31 of 36

Quote:
i agree with jeremypsp... the SE215 are overrated. For <$90, it's not bad, but if OP can stretch his budget a little, he can get other, much better options. The bass on the SE215, to me, is splashy and uncontrolled, while not really giving satisfactory impact, which is why I'd like to go back to one of my original suggestions --- the Future Sonics atrio m5 with MG7 transducer!

I can say with absolute certainty that the bass is top-tier, bar none, and its mids and highs are very good as well; it's just that it's tuned with a bit of a V-shaped response. OP isn't going to mind that. So you get top-tier SQ, coupled with a very robust plastic housing, and thick, comfortable cables. The only caveat, really, is that the design looks like a blast from the past to the early 90s. It's affordable, too. Even though the MSRP is $200, it regularly sells for under $160, and you can even find retailers that sell for $140 pretty often. Just a few weeks ago, there was a 50% off sale for them!

I've really been looking into the Mg7s, and I must say that I am pretty convinced that for IEMs in their price range they are far and away the best.  the only thing that I am not sure of is the comfort/seal/tips. I've never worn my buds with the cable over ear.  is that something you easily get used to? should i already buy some of the suggested tips (tri-flan monsters with tip adaptors) or wait and see if the stock tips satisfy me? also, where are these crazy sales?? i can barely find reviews on these things outside of head-fi (even the only decent reviews on amazon are from head-fi peeps). 

Jan 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
Just looking into buying a pair of buds that I can use when I walk around, workout, video chat, etc.  Sort of an all-purpose set that has decent durability.  Preferably under $100 but if justified can go up to $150, maybe higher.  I'm by no means an audophile, but I do care for clear sounding cans.  Nothing too bass heavy or blurry, nor neutral.  I listen mostly to Reggae, Hip Hop, R n B, so solid bass is integral.  I'd love for it to have an in-line mic since as I mentioned I'd like to use it for video chatting, but don't hold back any suggestions due to that. 

RE0 by Hifiman. I highly disrecommend the Klipsch S4 since they are not clear at all, and they are nothing but bass heavy.  (Keep in mind that many people love the S4, but I definitely do not).  Note the RE0 has build quality issues, which seem to be rampant but who knows, they may have fixed them by now.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #33 of 36

Quote:
RE0 by Hifiman. I highly disrecommend the Klipsch S4 since they are not clear at all, and they are nothing but bass heavy.  (Keep in mind that many people love the S4, but I definitely do not).  Note the RE0 has build quality issues, which seem to be rampant but who knows, they may have fixed them by now.

Saying it's "nothing but bass heavy" is a little misleading. I do admit that the bass is bloated and it lacks clarity, but it has some really good mids. The highs are lacking though.

Jan 9, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #34 of 36
Well, I think they can actually be worn both ways. Personally, I think if you're going to be active (out and about, and/or exercising) with your earphones, the over-ear fit is the way to go. It takes a little more time to wear, but it becomes second nature almost immediately. I admit the atrios don't look comfortable; I was very unconvinced myself --- the sound won me over though. I don't think you need to buy tips just yet. See if they get along with you first. They come with foam tips too, and foam tips will fit just about everyone. Well, as I said before, the reason why they don't have many sales outside of the enthusiast community is that they look terrible (and look much more uncomfortable than they really are), and looks matter to most casual consumers. I'm not above shunning some earphones because they look ugly myself. By the way, don't feel compelled to buy the atrios if you're not feeling them. I'm merely making a suggestion based on your criteria --- sound and durability.

Here are some alternatives: Joker's latest two reviews, the JVC FXT90 and FX500; I've only heard the FXT90, and they're very good for their price, but the FX500 should be very good as well, although I've only heard the FX700, and that might be out of your price range. I already mentioned the Brainwavz M2, and this looks like it might be a good deal, the Koss KDX200... I can't vouch for either though; never listened to them.

Do some more searching on your own with Joker's Multi-IEM Review and ClieOS's Concise IEM Comparison. These two threads are the two most referred to on Head-Fi for newcomers looking for earphones. I trust both their ears, and they did a great job putting all that information together.

EDIT: Almost forgot! The Panasonic HJE900! They've been getting ignored for a while; it might be that they're going out of production, but I'm not sure. Again, haven't listened to them, but the majority of accounts point to a sound signature that suits your tastes (almost like an uber Klipsch S4), and they're definitely built to last.

Quote:
I've really been looking into the Mg7s, and I must say that I am pretty convinced that for IEMs in their price range they are far and away the best.  the only thing that I am not sure of is the comfort/seal/tips. I've never worn my buds with the cable over ear.  is that something you easily get used to? should i already buy some of the suggested tips (tri-flan monsters with tip adaptors) or wait and see if the stock tips satisfy me? also, where are these crazy sales?? i can barely find reviews on these things outside of head-fi (even the only decent reviews on amazon are from head-fi peeps). 

That's a fair assessment. The highs are the S4's weakest link. The mids don't sound as impressive only because the bass can be a little overpowering. However, the bass, even though it's very strong, is quite nice. It's very much a distinctive Klipsch-style bass. It also is one of the most comfortable IEMs around. I love Klipsch tips; I have all of them, even the rare large double flange tips!

Quote:
Saying it's "nothing but bass heavy" is a little misleading. I do admit that the bass is bloated and it lacks clarity, but it has some really good mids. The highs are lacking though.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #35 of 36

Quote:
Well, I think they can actually be worn both ways. Personally, I think if you're going to be active (out and about, and/or exercising) with your earphones, the over-ear fit is the way to go. It takes a little more time to wear, but it becomes second nature almost immediately. I admit the atrios don't look comfortable; I was very unconvinced myself --- the sound won me over though. I don't think you need to buy tips just yet. See if they get along with you first. They come with foam tips too, and foam tips will fit just about everyone. Well, as I said before, the reason why they don't have many sales outside of the enthusiast community is that they look terrible (and look much more uncomfortable than they really are), and looks matter to most casual consumers. I'm not above shunning some earphones because they look ugly myself. By the way, don't feel compelled to buy the atrios if you're not feeling them. I'm merely making a suggestion based on your criteria --- sound and durability.

Here are some alternatives: Joker's latest two reviews, the JVC FXT90 and FX500; I've only heard the FXT90, and they're very good for their price, but the FX500 should be very good as well, although I've only heard the FX700, and that might be out of your price range. I already mentioned the Brainwavz M2, and this looks like it might be a good deal, the Koss KDX200... I can't vouch for either though; never listened to them.

Do some more searching on your own with Joker's Multi-IEM Review and ClieOS's Concise IEM Comparison. These two threads are the two most referred to on Head-Fi for newcomers looking for earphones. I trust both their ears, and they did a great job putting all that information together.

EDIT: Almost forgot! The Panasonic HJE900! They've been getting ignored for a while; it might be that they're going out of production, but I'm not sure. Again, haven't listened to them, but the majority of accounts point to a sound signature that suits your tastes (almost like an uber Klipsch S4), and they're definitely built to last.

Well, to be honest, I feel like the moment I started researching for buds the MG7s stood out here on the forums.  And the looks don't bother me. I want to get the black version so they will be discreet.  I've seen pictures of them in-ear, and they don't look that terrible once they are in.  If I see a sale on them, I'm going to snatch them up. Do you have any sites you'd recommend to check regularly? Right now, I've pretty much just gone on Amazon, Ebay, and Google them when I can. 

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #36 of 36

Quote:
That's a fair assessment. The highs are the S4's weakest link. The mids don't sound as impressive only because the bass can be a little overpowering. However, the bass, even though it's very strong, is quite nice. It's very much a distinctive Klipsch-style bass. It also is one of the most comfortable IEMs around. I love Klipsch tips; I have all of them, even the rare large double flange tips!

Well, I do agree that the bass does tend to bleed into the mids. But when I listen to certain songs that is mainly acoustic, it starts to get really nice. Though I wouldn't say it's as good as the Turbine's but it's more powerful and forward. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back