Most disappointing headphone purchase
Aug 3, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #61 of 317
Sony MDR-CD3000. Wanna talk no bass? The first and only can I ever used EQ on to get acceptable sound. Even bought a damn graphic equalizer on eBay to try and give that can CPR. No did do. Oh, and the blobby 3-blob headstage, and the odd echo bouncing off the inside of the cups. All around blech.

Aug 3, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #62 of 317
Panasonic RP-HJE50

Horrific BOOM!
basshead.gif

Mids are so unnatural and metallic it's like biting (rusty) nails. Nobody can beat that 10db peak somewhere between 4KHz and 8KHz.
Highs? I can't really tell cause that bass covers everything under it ....except those metallic mids. =)

I have never heard such a bad sound in any source or equipment. Stock buds in any player should beat these hands down.

Aug 3, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #65 of 317
AKG K-81 DJ! Too much upper bass coloration, muddy mids and recessed highs. Official "head-squeezer"
rolleyes.gif

They are simply pulverised by my mid-fi Denon AH-D550 and almost hi-fi Philips SHP895.

Too much hype...

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #66 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ e
The MX500s had very little bass impact, although the highs and mids were excellent; that didn't make up for the fact that I hated them.
the Koss KTXPro1s were muddy; I felt like I was missing half of the song beneath the mud

The MX500 actually has OK bass, if you rotate them so they point down your ear canal.

That's one reason why I ended up with the E4
580smile.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #67 of 317
Of all of my headphone purchases so far since I've been here I've only had two disppointments:

Sony MDR-CD770: Thought they would sound as good as the CD1700 at a bargain price. Wrong, it has a small soundstage and no depth. The thick rubber headband support was uncomfortable and it felt like as if you were balancing a giant rubber band on the top of your head. Loose money.

Audio Technica ATH-A55 felicidade Smart Sense: Also thought they would sound as good as the other AT-Axxx series cans. Wrong, they sounded flat and thin and the leather ear pads on them were hard like rocks making them uncomfortable. Loose money.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #68 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Damn, you must have had a defective pair, because when you said is the exact opposite of my SR-60s. (Except the one about the soundstage.)

Heh Heh...have you checked out the Beyers DT880? Also, the HD580? Huge difference. After listening to both of those, I just couldn't stand the Grado/Alessandro anymore. However, one man's poison is another man's food..

My taste and your could be completely different. That's what makes the world interesting.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #69 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler
uhhh..ok.
interesting, what were you using these two phones out of?
blink.gif

Oh, initially the PA2V2 but I tried to give them (both the phones) another chance, lately, I tried them with the Corda Aria. Regardless, they are no way close to the DT880 nor the HD580. Even the AKG K501 is significantly better. However, one must remember, I listen to alot of Jazz and Classical.

Aug 3, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #70 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
yeah, that's strange...the soundstage i can understand, but detail and resolution? i think grados do a pretty good job in this area, even in the budget sr60...hmmm...

But I guess it depends on what its competition is. If you are comparing the SR60 to the stock Apple ear buds, then yes, it is light years better. However, when you compare it to K501, HD580 or the DT880, then, (caveat: TO MY TASTE ONLY), they are really inferior in terms of resolution and details. My sources aren't bad either (PA2V2 or the Corda Aria).

Aug 3, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #71 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by sionghchan
But I guess it depends on what its competition is. If you are comparing the SR60 to the stock Apple ear buds, then yes, it is light years better. However, when you compare it to K501, HD580 or the DT880, then, (caveat: TO MY TASTE ONLY), they are really inferior in terms of resolution and details. My sources aren't bad either (PA2V2 or the Corda Aria).

You are also comparing headphones 2 to 3+ times the price of the SR60's.

Aug 3, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #73 of 317
Apple in-ear phones (the $50 ones) - I can't believe how impossible they were to get a seal - ridiculous!

Keep in mind, many people love this next one, but for whatever reason (maybe source) I was extremely dissappointed: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros - the old ones - they were WAY too V-shaped and absolutely CRUSHED my skull with their nutcraker clamping force...bloated bass, searing treble, crushed skull...a totally painful experience.

If it is a source issue, than be warned - the Sony D-25 PCDP and DT 990 Pros don't mix.

Aug 4, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #74 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam
The MX500 actually has OK bass, if you rotate them so they point down your ear canal.

That's one reason why I ended up with the E4
580smile.gif

I would go as far as saying the MX500 has very good crisp bass without rotating them at all. At least out of my iPod Shuffle it sounds that way, best pair for the money next to the KSC75.

Now more on topic, the most disappointing headphones I bought are the Creative EP-630s which are way too dark and flat.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #75 of 317
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
You are also comparing headphones 2 to 3+ times the price of the SR60's.

You are probably right.....if you are in the US. However, here in Canada, Grado cost a bomb (as I'm sure is the case in EU). SR60 was about CAD$130 before taxes and shipping. I bought my HD580 about CAD$120 (second owner but it was in mint condition). Also, don't forget, a K501 costs about USD$120 new. Besides, I'm not convinced that SR80 or SR125 (which costs from CAD$199 and above) is going to be better than the HD580 in terms of resolution, soundstage and details.

Oh well, just my 2 cents....from a non Grado fan...however, I respect the fact that lots of other head-fiers swear by Grado....more power to them. Just that, Grado isn't for me...that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back