Most Disappointing Album of 2011
Jan 11, 2012 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
I think there's been plenty of "Best of" albums for 2011, but how about some of your most disappointing albums of the year?

My vote:

Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed.
confused.gif

I'm a BIG Metallica fan and like some of Lou's stuff, but man, what a waste of time and money!

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 44
Well, for some reason I  liked Judas song from Lady Gaga.
"Juddaaaas, Judaaas , Gaaa Gaaa", so much inspiration .....
I'm not a fan at all of Lady Gaga, but somehow this song managed to catch my attention:
so silly that it becomes fun to listen.

So I  listened  to the whole album "Born this Ways" , and I  couldn't believe it could be worse than what I  was expecting : commercial vomit of vomit.
According to last.fm statistics , Adele was the most listened artist in 2011.
Just after Lady Gaga.  I'd say, there's some hope ....
http://www.last.fm/bestof/2011/artists

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 44
There were two for me: 

Radiohead - King of Limbs: I admit, I've been hoping for "OK Computer part II" for 14 years now.  I really liked "In Rainbows" and it built up my expectations for this one.  "King of Limbs" went in a direction that wasn't where I wanted them to go.  Critics and other fans seemed very happy with it but it just didn't work for me personally.  I want more rock and less electronics.

and

Arctic Monkey's - Suck it and See: It was OK but a major step down from their previous work.  Alex Turner is so talented.  It just didn't seem like he was trying very hard here.

Jan 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 44

Quote:
I think there's been plenty of "Best of" albums for 2011, but how about some of your most disappointing albums of the year?

My vote:

Lulu by Metallica and Lou Reed.
confused.gif

I'm a BIG Metallica fan and like some of Lou's stuff, but man, what a waste of time and money!

Seconding this. But, let's be honest here, Lou has been out of the game for quite a while. And Metallica, well...

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 44
Radiohead's albums always take some time with me, but TKOL is not too bad. Just a bit short, could of included some extra tracks there so thats my dissapointment

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 44
Radiohead is absolutely not the band for that and hasn't been for a while. Just saying.

I agree. A number of other excellent bands have fit the "The Bends" genre and the "OK Computer" genre, however.

I read the reviews for Duran Duran's All You Need Is Now. Not my typical genre, but things appeared pretty creative, sonically punchy, and well executed from reading reviews, so I bought. Just couldn't get into it in any way. May be a genre/taste mismatch but I kind of knew what I was getting from that perspective, but even so I found most of it lackluster.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #9 of 44
I really disliked Lulu this year, really wish they never came up with that idea -- Lou reed talking over some mediocre guitar riffs *yuck*.  I also really disliked Radiohead despite what everyone else is saying.  I enjoyed the Bends and In Rainbows but King of Limbs was back to the usual mess of noise building up to an even bigger mess of noise and everyone creaming themselves over it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been hoping for "OK Computer part II" for 14 years now.  I really liked "In Rainbows" and it built up my expectations for this one.  "King of Limbs" went in a direction that wasn't where I wanted them to go.  Critics and other fans seemed very happy with it but it just didn't work for me personally.  I want more rock and less electronics.

I sort of see In Rainbows as OK Computer Part II.  I don't see them every going back to '97 though, they seem more "Thom Yorke & Friends" than the cohesive band they once were.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #12 of 44
Personally, I was really disappointed with Mastodon's The Hunter. I was expecting a lot more for a follow up to Crack the Skye, but this one was simply dull in my opinion. It didn't really expand anything with their sound, just used previous sounds from past albums. I would have preferred them to have experimented with new sounds and me not like it at all. Mediocrity from a band I know can produce quality albums is really frustrating to me.

King of Limbs was somewhat underwhelming as well.

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 44

Quote:
Metellica's last good album was ...And Justice for All!

*braces for flames*

I really liked Death Magnetic (and And Justice for All for that matter).

Quote:
Seconding this. But, let's be honest here, Lou has been out of the game for quite a while. And Metallica, well...

Yep, Lou's done and I thought Metallica was after St. Anger, but luckily they redeemed themselves to me with Death Magnetic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back