most detailed headphones
Aug 2, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #46 of 78
Detailed? Piano? Budget?

IMHO, you can't beat the AKG K-501 with those requirements. Give it an amp and it will really shine.

-kaitsuburi

PS. "Best" will have to go to electrostats ~~ stunningly detailed!

Aug 2, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #47 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeplin
all of these headphone recommendations are great, but remember the original poster said that he/she couldn't or didn't want to spend the money for the Ety 4P/S...too expensive and out of his/her price range. with that, i would suggest Etymotics lower end model of their canal phones, the ER6 for resolution and detail.

Good point regarding the price range and I agree. The Ety ER-6 is very detailed, to the point that bad recordings really can sound bad. But the good ones can sound awesome (although maybe lacking a little in bass), and for the price you can get them from Idealsound, they are a great choice.

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #49 of 78
Another nod for the R10's.

Solo Piano pieces where it was recorded in a studio rather than a concert hall sounds kinda weird with the K1000's. This is one of the few areas where the super wide soundstage of the K1000's kind of works against it.
Kind of like the Pianist has an arm spread of 100 ft or something. (OK, I'm exaggerating.)

The R10's dead on imaging and nano details wins me over.

-Ed

Aug 2, 2004 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 78
I'd have to agree that electrostatics are more detailed than dynamic headphones... for dynamic headphones, I've always thought my AKG K271 Studio's were quite detailed... but I have yet to hear a lot of the more expensive dynamic cans [with the exception of the RS1]... the etys are very nice as well, but I'm not sure if I had them in far enough
redface.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I'd have to agree that electrostatics are more detailed than dynamic headphones... for dynamic headphones, I've always thought my AKG K271 Studio's were quite detailed... but I have yet to hear a lot of the more expensive dynamic cans [with the exception of the RS1]... the etys are very nice as well, but I'm not sure if I had them in far enough
redface.gif

I have the 271s and detailed isn't the word i'd use for them. They're only average IMHO.

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #52 of 78
I'll throw in another vote for etys, loads of detail for the price, and well rendered bass when properly amped. I would go for the 4S or the 4P with an S cable for the most flexability.

Scott

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #53 of 78
YEH, get the er4p, but definitely get the p-s converter cable - I still can't believe the difference it makes to the sound when amped!

Aug 2, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #54 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I heard them at a local store and I couldn't work out where they got their bad name from. They seemed to me to have good bass and nice detail, and a nice sound. The sound's quite different from my closed cans and CD3Ks, to my ears at the time, possibly better. That was a 2 minute audition though.

The big flaw of the 590 is that the mids are recessed far too much. This isn't as noticeable when listening to classical music though. For classical, and for my ears, they hit it pretty spot on, and the timbre is awesome, particularly strings.

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #56 of 78
for classical piano I'd vote for RS-1 rather than the CD3000, and forget the QUALIA (too expensive) and the R10 (you wont find them)
I would not get the K-1000
and never listened to STAX, etys and HD650

J|!

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
wow IOI those things are expensive

I, in contrast, am i starving college student; yet without degree or job potential. When I think of my pricetag and your response I feel envious. Please be more considerate .)

(yes, I sold my other eye for tuition)

mmm.. comments like this make me think Omega II's and R10's are out of your budget... in that case:

I'd advise you to give the Alessandro MS-2's (Music Series 2) a serious think/listen - for a RRP US$299, they offer really exceptional detail, and are more than happy to work unamped - so they have the potential to save you a fortune by skipping a dedicated headphone amp (but will be just as happy if/when you add one later). FYI Alessandro's are slightly tweaked Grados, the MS-2's sister 'phone being the SR325 (Alessandro equivalents are generally regarded as being more "neutral"). To get a better idea of what the MS-2's offer you'll find plenty in a search in head-fi for 'em, there's a fair bit to be found (MS-2s have a comparitively small but extremely loyal following - deservedly
smily_headphones1.gif
. Oh, I almost forgot to mention that they sound gorgeous. Oh, and that they leak sound (as all open 'phones do) - something to keep in mind if it's important that you don't disrupt others around you.

Some (hopefully helpful) links:

Alessandro Website

Headphonic (Australian) store - an aussie site run by a head-fi'er (snufkin).

They have a little brother, the MS-1, which is the sister to the Grado SR-125 - I haven't heard that, but I imagine it would offer even better bang for buck (less bang nonetheless).

Finally, the Ety ER-4P is a real champ - and you can take it with you everywhere. It's probably more detailed (i actually think it and the MS-2 are about as detailed as each other, in different ways), but has something of a bass deficit - it's still an excellent option tho, and can be found at places like audiocubes (japan), todd the vinyl junkie, and headroom (both US) at (what my now distorted value system tells me is) a very reasonable price.

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by papa_snap
Finally, the Ety ER-4P is a real champ - and you can take it with you everywhere. It's probably more detailed (i actually think it and the MS-2 are about as detailed as each other, in different ways), but has something of a bass deficit - it's still an excellent option tho, and can be found at places like audiocubes (japan), todd the vinyl junkie, and headroom (both US) at (what my now distorted value system tells me is) a very reasonable price.

iDealSound (another Head-Fi sponser) has them for only $188 w/ free shipping.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I have the 271s and detailed isn't the word i'd use for them. They're only average IMHO.

strange, I find them quite detailed... however my headphone experience is limited... the only cans that I have heard for comparison is some sony's [not the cd3ks yet], some koss headphones, some AT woodies, grado headphones [including RS1], some sennheisers [no top end, but heard the 580s briefly and owned the 570s for a couple weeks] and the high end etys... like I said, the etys were very detailed, but most of the others were as detailed or less than my 271s... the 570s might have beat them in the detail department... but they had so many other problems that it was a non-issue...

but the stax... oh yes... must... get... some...

unfortunately my wife wants a house, so it looks like it will be a little while before that happens
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
strange, I find them quite detailed... however my headphone experience is limited... the only cans that I have heard for comparison is some sony's [not the cd3ks yet], some koss headphones, some AT woodies, grado headphones [including RS1], some sennheisers [no top end, but heard the 580s briefly and owned the 570s for a couple weeks] and the high end etys... like I said, the etys were very detailed, but most of the others were as detailed or less than my 271s... the 570s might have beat them in the detail department... but they had so many other problems that it was a non-issue...

but the stax... oh yes... must... get... some...

unfortunately my wife wants a house, so it looks like it will be a little while before that happens
biggrin.gif

Maybe it's just that it's not as bright as other headphones. The details are there, just not as prominent? I think I like bright, bassy headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back