most detailed headphones
Aug 1, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 78
Sennheiser HD-650 is an extremely detailed headphone, i'm almost sure that in the right setup it can match or be very close to electrostat about details.

I know there's lot of "detail-freaks" in the electrostat crowd, personally i got all the details i could dream about with HD-650.

I don't need to hear the traffic outside of the rec. studio or the janitor moving the trash can.
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #33 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertigo-1
Judging from your profile, something tells me you aren't exactly considering electrostatics to begin with...

I owned the Omega IIs and own the Etymotic ER-4Bs. I kept the one with more details.
etysmile.gif

Well...for one Vertigo-1 is back!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Two, agreed, I can't even understand how a phone could be more resolving of low-level detail than an Ety 4 series. If in all honesty, the uber-canal phones have more, then what ARE they resolving? Again...the laser hitting the pits? Seriously...I don't know if I want more detail. I have to agree with Mastergill, I don't want to hear the janitor in the hall or the cars on the street
smily_headphones1.gif

However...eric, the stax in-ears could be something to try out. I'll have to read up on them some more.

Aug 2, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #35 of 78
of the more affordable headphones - i would say the sennheiser HD600 (or hd 650) + cardas cable is very detailed (given a good source of course ).

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #36 of 78
Of the more affordable headphones, I would say K1000, followed by ER-4S and HD650. The thread starter does not seem interested in Omega II and the like.

Aug 2, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #37 of 78
how about cd3ks?modded cd3ks?they are not the most detailed but how do they compare to etys or 650s?

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #39 of 78
all of these headphone recommendations are great, but remember the original poster said that he/she couldn't or didn't want to spend the money for the Ety 4P/S...too expensive and out of his/her price range. with that, i would suggest Etymotics lower end model of their canal phones, the ER6 for resolution and detail. also, one other poster talked about the HD280's being a rather detailed (obviously not as much as Ety's or the stax cans) and hihgly affordable headphone...perfect recommendation, i think, for this situation.

Aug 2, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #42 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi
(throws in MDR-CD900ST onto the pile knowing that nobody's going to be interested, and walks off saying nothing. *tumbleweed rolls by*)

wink.gif

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:17 AM Post #43 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Dispite their faults, the HD590 is one of the most detailed headphones I've ever heard, particularly for classical music.

I heard them at a local store and I couldn't work out where they got their bad name from. They seemed to me to have good bass and nice detail, and a nice sound. The sound's quite different from my closed cans and CD3Ks, to my ears at the time, possibly better. That was a 2 minute audition though.

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #44 of 78
I recently bought the HD590's (since we won't get the 595's for another few months due to the factory fire). They are superb for their price, in my (very humble) opinion. I also didn't have a huge budget, so I think someone with a student budget should consider them.

I listened to Gary Jules' "Mad World" which features piano, and it sounded very good to me.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
280smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back