Most detailed headphones?
Nov 8, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #121 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel very strongly that the DT48's are the most detailed closed cans still in production..Unless I'm missing some other studio monitoring cans.

How do they compare to W5000, out of all dynamics I tried and owned they still hold the "most detailed" crown?

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #122 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to W5000, out of all dynamics I tried and owned they still hold the "most detailed" crown?

Not very scientific.. I can only go by Iron dreamers review of the SA5000.. He said the W5000 was just as detailed as the SA5000, with but fuller body, & more cohesive imaging.. Something along those lines.. My DT48's are more detailed then my balanced sa5000 out of a dac1.. I have Not A/Bed both.. Maybe they are the most detailed closed dynamic cans in production.. I'd still put money on the 48's though..
L3000.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #123 of 242
Look to me that you all ready lost your money..LOL.

If you compare DT48 to K702. And the K702 have more detailed in any of the FR spectrum, you lose. The K702 go very low and very High in the FR. So, you lost again. If the K702 have more Depth or Dynamic or bigger Sound stage/Head stage or better Resolution, You know, you pay double.
wink.gif

If the K702 wins on the musicality and the tonal balance,
it means the DT48 are Mid oriented monitors.
For voice over music, like TV, broadcast reporters and cameramen at big sport or media events.

Yes, If you want to be field reporter, fine. the DT48 are the perfect headphones for you..LOL.

)))))Headphones/Headsets
deadhorse.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #124 of 242
Quote:

Not very scientific.. I can only go by Iron dreamers review of the SA5000.. He said the W5000 was just as detailed as the SA5000, with but fuller body, & more cohesive imaging.. Something along those lines.. My DT48's are more detailed then my balanced sa5000 out of a dac1.. I have Not A/Bed both.. Maybe they are the most detailed closed dynamic cans in production.. I'd still put money on the 48's though..
L3000.gif

Thanks, I consider W5000 incrementally better than SA5000 in details department, not a huge step up but still the difference is clearly audible.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #125 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, I consider W5000 incrementally better than SA5000 in details department, not a huge step up but still the difference is clearly audible.

How is the bass of W5000 compared to SA5000?

And details aside, which of those two cans most resembles a Grado's upper-mids and highs?

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #126 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the bass of W5000 compared to SA5000?

And details aside, which of those two cans most resembles a Grado's upper-mids and highs?

Lesser quantity but better quality, hard hitting and full of details, like adjusting focus on the picture, zero fuzziness. If you switch from bass heavy cans they do sound thin at first but that doesn't last long and after a while you start getting that OMG reaction when bass starts hitting. Of course fit is crucial, but imo opinion difficulty to achieve one is highly exaggerated here, all it takes just some headband bending, literally 5 minutes work.

I'd say that perhaps W5000 is closer to Grado house sound than SA5000 which is way cooler.

Nov 9, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #127 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you compare DT48 to K702. And the K702 have more detailed in any of the FR spectrum, you lose. The K702 go very low and very High in the FR. So, you lost again. If the K702 have more Depth or Dynamic or bigger Sound stage/Head stage or better Resolution, You know, you pay double.
wink.gif

For voice over music, like TV, broadcast reporters and cameramen at big sport or media events.

Yes, If you want to be field reporter, fine. the DT48 are the perfect headphones for you..LOL.

)))))Headphones/Headsets
deadhorse.gif

assumption? They have a flat FR.. Uncolored like the 702's..
I owned the 701's & own the 48's.. You only have the 702's which sound the same as the 701's.. They are more detailed then your precious 702's.. I actually might buy a 702, & see how easily the 48's destroy them..
dt880smile.png
They been around 50 yrs.. They must be doing something right.. Will the 702's still be in production in 50 yrs? NO!!

Nov 9, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #128 of 242
Quote:

Will the 702's still be in production in 50 yrs? NO!!

well that's a bunch of speculation and you don't know that.

anyways, i say the most detailed headphone is the ER4B, but they need to be burned in for 500 hours.

Nov 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #129 of 242
Quote:

Will the 702's still be in production in 50 yrs?
NO!!

Hehehe...He.

If we're gonna be in production in the next 50 years, I will tell you...
Meanwhile you can read below what Beyer has to say about your precious 48.

Looks like you don't agree with the company policy...LOL
rolleyes.gif

Headphones/Headsets

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #130 of 242
Quote:

<snip>
Will the 702's still be in production in 50 yrs? NO!!

Highly unlikely. But thats only a speculation, since we never know for sure..

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #131 of 242
Quote:

assumption? They have a flat FR.. Uncolored like the 702's..
I owned the 701's & own the 48's.. You only have the 702's which sound the same as the 701's.. They are more detailed then your precious 702's.. I actually might buy a 702, & see how easily the 48's destroy them..
dt880smile.png
They been around 50 yrs.. They must be doing something right.. Will the 702's still be in production in 50 yrs? NO!!

hey kool bubba...

since you're familiar with both, what do you think of the musical presentation between the two, detail/headstage aside? because i have the K701, and i really love not only the detail, but the musical presentation it brings me - i feel i can just lose myself and experience music emotionally to the utmost degree...

also, how's comfort/long session fatigue? i know it's heavy and all metal...

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #132 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

)))))Headphones/Headsets
deadhorse.gif

I've compared the DT48 to the K-701, which is the same thing as the K-702.

You get more detail from the DT48.

The K-701 isn't my favorite headphone, either. Without a suitable amp, they are flat, plasticky and lifeless. So much so that I came close to selling them a number of times. Out of several amps I've tried, they only sound nice from the Zana. I keep them for that, but still, they don't sound as lifelike as the K-501, which I consider a superior headphone. It almost goes without saying that the K-1000 stomps all over the K-701, as well. In comparison, the tonal balance and musicality are off in the K-701. I still listen to it here and there, but it does not have the same organic "realness" that the K-501 and K-1000 have. The DT48 has that realness, as well. I've heard few transducers handle piano and vocals as well.

I've mentioned it before, but my references are the headphones in my sig, as well as a pair of DIY Verhagen ribbon loudspeakers, ESS AMT-1 loudspeakers (with Heil's air motion transformers) and a pair of ProAc 2.5 clones. The Moth Cicadas are put away, but might get them out when I have the Si2A3 set up. I also go see live music regularly (past two nights even) and have been a musician for over 25 years. I may not be a pro, but think I have a pretty good ear for what sounds real and what doesn't. The ribbons nail realness like little else and the AMTs are similar. As for headphones, the ones that really seem to get it right are the HP-2, K-1000, K-501, HD-600, and DT48. I haven't heard them all, though, and have only had brief listens to the HE90, Omega II, R10, and ESL-57, but found them impressive.

Most of music is in the mids. That's why singledriver speakers with rolled off highs and lows can be so musical. Also why I love my ribbons, though they roll off hard below 350Hz.

Oh, and if you're going to dump on studio gear, then the AKG K-1000, Grado HP-1000, Stax 4070, Wilson's WATT speakers, Simon Yorke turntables, Denon's DL103, and much else aren't worth listening to. Right? How could they possibly sound good if they're for studio use?

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #133 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've compared the DT48 to the K-701, which is the same thing as the K-702.

You get more detail from the DT48.

The K-701 isn't my favorite headphone, either. Without a suitable amp, they are flat, plasticky and lifeless. So much so that I came close to selling them a number of times. Out of several amps I've tried, they only sound nice from the Zana. I keep them for that, but still, they don't sound as lifelike as the K-501, which I consider a superior headphone. It almost goes without saying that the K-1000 stomps all over the K-701, as well. In comparison, the tonal balance and musicality are off in the K-701. I still listen to it here and there, but it does not have the same organic "realness" that the K-501 and K-1000 have. The DT48 has that realness, as well. I've heard few transducers handle piano and vocals as well.

I've mentioned it before, but my references are the headphones in my sig, as well as a pair of DIY Verhagen ribbon loudspeakers, ESS AMT-1 loudspeakers (with Heil's air motion transformers) and a pair of ProAc 2.5 clones. The Moth Cicadas are put away, but might get them out when I have the Si2A3 set up. I also go see live music regularly (past two nights even) and have been a musician for over 25 years. I may not be a pro, but think I have a pretty good ear for what sounds real and what doesn't. The ribbons nail realness like little else and the AMTs are similar. As for headphones, the ones that really seem to get it right are the HP-2, K-1000, K-501, HD-600, and DT48. I haven't heard them all, though, and have only had brief listens to the HE90, Omega II, R10, and ESL-57, but found them impressive.

Most of music is in the mids. That's why singledriver speakers with rolled off highs and lows can be so musical. Also why I love my ribbons, though they roll off hard below 350Hz.

Oh, and if you're going to dump on studio gear, then the AKG K-1000, Grado HP-1000, Stax 4070, Wilson's WATT speakers, Simon Yorke turntables, Denon's DL103, and much else aren't worth listening to. Right? How could they possibly sound good if they're for studio use?

He's a troll.. He has been dumping on the 48's in all threads that ask for studio cans..

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #134 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey kool bubba...

since you're familiar with both, what do you think of the musical presentation between the two, detail/headstage aside? because i have the K701, and i really love not only the detail, but the musical presentation it brings me - i feel i can just lose myself and experience music emotionally to the utmost degree...

also, how's comfort/long session fatigue? i know it's heavy and all metal...

You will only lose yourself emotionally with certain genres.. Jazz, acoustics, classical, maybe some folk.. But the awesome mid range, coherency, detail & clarity.. Can bring you into that state, without being musical.. I'm talking about other genres besides the ones I mentioned.

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #135 of 242
Quote:

You will only lose yourself emotionally with certain genres.. Jazz, acoustics, classical, maybe some folk.. But the awesome mid range, coherency, detail & clarity.. Can bring you into that state, without being musical.. I'm talking about other genres besides the ones I mentioned.

and comfort/listening fatigue?

thanks btw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back