Most detailed headphones?
Nov 1, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #17 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm... i never heard of the dt48e before this thread! i like their retro look, but they cost $430!!! when did the dt48e came out?

DSC_0002.JPG

I love these cans.

And they're not $430, B&H's email price is $336, up from $306 the last time I checked.

The DT48 was the first dynamic headphone. It was developed in 1937, but made its first public demonstration in 1950 and went into production shortly thereafter. The DT48 has been in production ever since.

Amazing that the first headphone is hardly known at Head-Fi, isn't it? Like any classic, there's a good reason it's still with us. It is one of the most detailed, transparent headphones on the market. Detail retrieval is better than just about anything I own. I've listened to the R10, 404, O2, and HE90, but not long enough to make a fair judgment. (Loved them, though!) But if you're looking for excellent reproduction of acoustic material and vocals, you'd have a hard time finding something better. Especially at this price. The electrostats might beat it, but not at $336.

If you keep your eyes open, you can often find good, used DT48s on eBay. I found my three pairs between $50 and $80. Prices should come up a little once these catch on here, but you can score an absolute bargain right now. Also, Beyerdynamic sells replacement pads, headbands and cords for these. If you're into recabling, it's a snap the way the DT48 is set up. I haven't done it yet, but it would be easy to balance the DT48, as well.

To the OP, the DT48 would make a great pair of headphones for transcription. You might also like the Sennheiser HD-600, which is my favorite all-around headphone. And if you can find one and pay enough, the K-1000 might be to your liking, as well.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #18 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if any of this will make sense,.

Yep, it makes sense.
A peak in the upper midrange/lower treble or higher treble, does not mean better details!
Good details are a result of many other things, like dynamic, airy, transparent imaging, tonal balance and sound stage. The K702 are so balanced with such a big stage, it's easy to get lost...LOL.

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER4p/s.

My ER6i's are more detailed than anything I own. It's really amazing. You can focus on any instrument in the music and just listen to that.

ER4p/s is the next model up so presumably has even more detail.

hey..i am getting ER6i from someone in a Willing to Trade offer.

should i go for it as my first real IEM?

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #21 of 242
Stax 4070... Stax SR-007... AKG K1000...

Imo you can't go wrong with either of these, detail wise.

Nov 1, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #22 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if any of this will make sense, but I do think there is some truth to it with certain headphones; some fool you into thinking they are more detailed than they really are (mind you, the ER4S are in fact detailed, but the upper register emphasis makes you think they're even more detailed than they really are), and some may fool you into thinking they are less detailed than they really are (the K701 is actually one of the examples that comes to mind because their overall presentation is somewhat lackluster since nothing really stands out, yet they do produce quite a bit of detail when placed under the sonic microscope - although I'll readily admit that they're still not kings in this regard).

That is an excellent point, I know not many would agree with me, but if you start *listening* for details you'll discover that HD650 are super detailed phones, but you really need to listen for them, otherwise they just seamlessly blend with the music. Sharpened versus high resolution picture, guess that's a good analogy here.

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #23 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some good detailed cans that are accurate and clear? I enjoy listening to music with great detail without having to scrutinize the song too hard in order to transcribe the music onto a score or music software. Need cans to make the transcriber's life easier
smily_headphones1.gif

I also make music as well so the dynamics has to be reproduced accurately.

The 48's are much more revealing then the 880's/SA5000/ & creams the 701's..

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #24 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC_0002.JPG

I love these cans.

And they're not $430, B&H's email price is $336, up from $306 the last time I checked.

The DT48 was the first dynamic headphone. It was developed in 1937, but made its first public demonstration in 1950 and went into production shortly thereafter. The DT48 has been in production ever since.

Amazing that the first headphone is hardly known at Head-Fi, isn't it? Like any classic, there's a good reason it's still with us. It is one of the most detailed, transparent headphones on the market. Detail retrieval is better than just about anything I own. I've listened to the R10, 404, O2, and HE90, but not long enough to make a fair judgment. (Loved them, though!) But if you're looking for excellent reproduction of acoustic material and vocals, you'd have a hard time finding something better. Especially at this price. The electrostats might beat it, but not at $336.

If you keep your eyes open, you can often find good, used DT48s on eBay. I found my three pairs between $50 and $80. Prices should come up a little once these catch on here, but you can score an absolute bargain right now. Also, Beyerdynamic sells replacement pads, headbands and cords for these. If you're into recabling, it's a snap the way the DT48 is set up. I haven't done it yet, but it would be easy to balance the DT48, as well.

To the OP, the DT48 would make a great pair of headphones for transcription. You might also like the Sennheiser HD-600, which is my favorite all-around headphone. And if you can find one and pay enough, the K-1000 might be to your liking, as well.

More detailed then then the R10? Just your quick opinion. I know you didn't have time with the R10's..

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #25 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the electrostatic headphones sound better than other headphones (given that they're all amped and driven well)?

nah, they are about the same
ph34r.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #26 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More detailed then then the R10? Just your quick opinion. I know you didn't have time with the R10's..

Tough call. I listened to the R10 and DT48 back-to-back out of Ray Samuels' P-51 at the LA meet. Only had about five minutes with each. I'll put it this way, I didn't notice anything with the R10 that wasn't showing up with the DT48. The presentations and sound were different, but I didn't have a "Wow! I didn't know that was there!" moment with the R10 - everything was there on both.

Nov 1, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tough call. I listened to the R10 and DT48 back-to-back out of Ray Samuels' P-51 at the LA meet. Only had about five minutes with each. I'll put it this way, I didn't notice anything with the R10 that wasn't showing up with the DT48. The presentations and sound were different, but I didn't have a "Wow! I didn't know that was there!" moment with the R10 - everything was there on both.

Guess I confused myself.. Was thinking Q10.. Any ways.. So the 48's are on the same level as the R10's in terms of detail retrieval?

Nov 1, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 242
This thread is getting interesting by the minute
tongue.gif
I'm starting to think the difference between these cans are insignificant. Don't know if it's true or not. Need to audition them, but some of them are hard to find like the beyer Dt48e.

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #29 of 242
Ergo AMT, hands down. I own the Omega2 and it's easily in second place, but the Ergo AMT is in a class all by itself on detail.

Too bad everyone refuses to try them because of how butt ugly they are...
duggehsmile.png

Nov 1, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 242
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ergo AMT, hands down. I own the Omega2 and it's easily in second place, but the Ergo AMT is in a class all by itself on detail.

Too bad everyone refuses to try them because of how butt ugly they are...
duggehsmile.png

shoulda said they're butt ugly, ergo, no buy
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back