Most depressing song/piece
Mar 10, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #31 of 126
Any more sad, beautiful, instrumental songs you guys can recommend (I don't mind soft background vocals)? I'm always on the search for music that I can just lay back, close my eyes, and be able to feel it (Nessun Dorma comes to mind).

Mar 10, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #34 of 126
I'd say Tonight's the Night by Neil Young....the album as a whole is particularly bleak....

Mar 10, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #35 of 126
Syd Barrett - Dark Globe
Pink Floyd - When The Tigers Broke Free

Mar 10, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #36 of 126
Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata
and a song called "The Butcher of Mankind" - I don't know who sings it. Saw it in the 7th grade with a very graphic video which showed actual abortions. Now - talk about depressing - most girls and some guys cried. Bunch of losers! Nevertheless, very sad song.

Mar 11, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 126
Lyrical, a few would be Alice in Chains - Confusion, Pink Floyd - The Wall (clichèd, I know, but it still gets me), Daughter Darling - Broken Bridge, and Dream Theater - Disappear.

Instrumental, Apocalyptica comes to mind. The Unforgiven, in particular, is very, very haunting.

Mar 11, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #40 of 126
Has anybody mentioned "MacArthur Park" yet?

That line about

"Someone left the cake out in the rain --
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again!"

just envelopes me in a wave of Weltschmertz every time.
frown.gif

Mar 11, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #41 of 126
My pick would be David Tao's "Melody"...but you have to understand the Chinese lyrics to really feel the song.

In English...I would go with Diana Krall's "A Case Of You" - yes I know it's a cover, but it's just so haunting when she does it...

Mar 11, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 126
Remember the song "Revelation (Mother Earth)" from Ozzy's first album?

When I was a lad, that song used to seriously get to me, so much that I avoided listening to it..

Here you had a song about how mankind is going to destroy itself and Mother Earth with all it's hate and war.. and how history just seems to repeat itself.. and visions of the world burning.. Remember in the early 80's, we were all still pretty scared of the Russians and nukes and stuff.. pretty heavy.

Then you have this amazing guitar solo at the end by this guy that just died, and will never make music like this ever again, because he's dead.

Talk about sad.

As I said, used to avoid this song, probably because I knew the impact was so great, I didn't want to wear it out. Sometimes even teenage dork metalhead boys need a good cry..

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back