Most Cost-Effective Way to Hook Up Pioneer BS-41's to Computer
Aug 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nosoupforyou

100+ Head-Fier
Hullo,

I've got myself a 5.1 set of Pioneer speakers downstairs, with the rear Pioneer BS41's barely being put to use. Since I need some desktop speakers upstairs, I would like to use the BS41's as computer speakers. However, I only have onboard audio, and my video card (Radeon 4870) sends audio out through an HDMI. The BS41's have binding posts for speaker wires.

What is the simplest, cheapest way I could get audio from my computer to these speakers? I imagine I'd have to buy an amp.

Thanks!

Best,
Soup

PS - My other alternative is to purchase a set of used Audioengine A2's for a hundred bucks. Do y'all think this would be a cheaper, better deal?

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 5
I would buy a receiver with HDMI input and hook up your speakers that way. A good low cost receiver is going to cost you about $100, probably a little more unless you find a good deal.

I haven't listened to the A2's but I've heard, for what they are, that they're pretty good and $100 for them seems like a good price. Your choice though.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 5
You could buy a Lepai 2020+ for $20.

You'd then need to get a mini to RCA cable "Y" cable to hook it up to your onboard sound.

Then just wire up the speakers.

This way will probably cost you $30 max if you don't have the cables/speaker wire.

Aug 18, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 5
You could buy a Lepai 2020+
ir

for $20.

You'd then need to get a mini to RCA cable "Y" cable to hook it up to your onboard sound.

Then just wire up the speakers.

This way will probably cost you $30 max if you don't have the cables/speaker wire.

Coming from someone who owns the BS-41's smaller brothers, the BS-21, I would hook up an amp the way mtk has stated. However, these speakers are not super efficient, so you do need some good power to get them playing loud. I'm not positive that T-amp will be enough. I think the sensitivity is about 80db at 6ohms.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 5
They are definitely not the most efficient speakers, but I'm thinking the Pioneer BS41's will likely sound better than the Audioengine A2's. Don't really play music all that loud, so it should be fine.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back