Most comfortable Headphones (for BIG ears)
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

spandexninja

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for the most comfortable on-ear (supra-aural) headphones for someone with big ears. I also have a big head. After using the HD201s for more than 30 minutes my ears become incredibly sore. Turtle Beach and MDR-XD200 also cause soreness after an hour. I prefer on-ear headphones rather than over-ear because I don't like the feeling of so much material touching my oily skin. 

Uncomfortable: Turtle Beach X11 (POS don't buy these), Sennheiser HD201, Sony MDR-XD200
Comfortable:Sony MDR-XB300,  Bose http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MMWT9Q/

Music / Sound Quality
I mostly listen to electronic music (like Ratatat and Anamanaguchi) and OSTs (like the Lord of the Rings and the Final Fantasy). I also listen to orchestral music and Led Zeppelin. Comfort is more important than sound quality, but I'd prefer something with more bass than the HD201s. 

All of my music is in FLAC format.

Usage
These headphones would only be used when I'm at my computer, never taken outside.

Question
Given the above information, what are the most comfortable supra-aural headphones for:
1. Under $50
2. Under $300

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2 of 19
For some reason, I imagine the Sony MDR-XB1000 to be rather comfortable, they look like they're two big soft tire looking pillows :)

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 19
Most of us Head-fier's aren't Bose fans, to understate. But I have to admit, they were they the most comfortable headphones I've ever wore. For under 50$ It would have to be the Sony MDR-XB500, but under 300$, I would say forget the amp, save 150$, and get the Brainwavz HM5's, if neutrality is you taste. The Hm5's will be detailed enough to pick up footsteps, while still allowing you to enjoy your music.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 19
Under $300:

Beyerdynamic DT770:  $150-$200.  These things are kinda light, and are amazingly comfortable, the best of any headphone I've ever tried.  You can also order leather cushions (EDT300L) from the company for more comfort and isolation.  They also have a lot of bass, and excellent sound quality, I love them for listening to dubstep, electronic and such.  I also use them on my Playstation 3 when I play games, as they are very good at positioning sounds around you.  Beyerdynamic used the DT770 as the base for their MMX300 gaming headset, which is one of the best on the market.

For an amplifier, you can go with a FiiO E10, though it is only a USB DAC for a computer.  If you want a portable amplifier, try the E7.

Not sure if you'll find any really good headphones for gaming under $50 though.

Mar 15, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 19
Audio Technica's AIR (open) and ART (closed) series are both really large and lightweight. The AD700 (AIR series) is also recommended for gaming quite a bit, but lots of people find it very very bass-light. Might fit you well though; I had the AD300 but it was too big on my small head. Here's a quick rundown of the differences between the 2 series:

ADx00
  1. Aka "AIR" series
  2. Open back, leaks sound in and out
  3. Pads are made of velour
  4. AD700 is the most recommended headphone of the line-up, specifically for gaming

Ax00
  1. Aka "ART"
  2. Closed back; does not really leak sound out, but it only does an OK job of preventing sound leaking in
  3. Pads are made of pleather (look a bit cheap IMO)
  4. A900 is often recommended, but more for acoustic music I think. A900 has a few variants (limited edition, etc).

Both are huge, should be about the same size, and have long cables (3m/10ft). Sorry I'm not sure of price in the US.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 19
I'd recommend the hifiman he300s.
Its very light weight and comfortable :D
I've owned them for about 6 months and I think they are perfect for a wide range of music.
Also they are $250 :D
I think the he 300s aren't bassy, but I do think that is has enough bass

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #9 of 19
The denon series does a good job with dumbo ears, but I think that the best is the Seinn series hd598/600/650. The cups are just huge IMO.  You can get the 598 used here around $175 or to $350 used on the 650's.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 19
FLAC vs MP3 is hard. Do an Foobar ABX test to fully know

anyway some

Sony XB's 700 series plus..unles you have an EQ. you can get good results with the XB500 only if you have an EQ. the rest are decent for what you want to do, however ive only had limited experience with XB700's and none with XB1000's.

Bose...get a Bose.  why not, they are very pricey for the sound they offer and you won't be making many audiophile friends..and they are cheaply made..but hey..why not.

Beyerdynamics DT 770 pro. I tested teh 80 ohm model, There wwere some blaring difficencies IMO. The highs would get sparkly and crackle and ...basically just jump off the band wagon and lose control and the bass was not as controlled,, I tested this as a new headphones so i thought about burn in, but another member told me that's how that Beyer sounded, I can't accept or deny his post's authenticity but that is a fine headphone, The HFI 580's is still better..but not nearly as comfortable and light.

and some other people were doing

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #14 of 19

My vote goes to the HD598/600/650, which are circumaural (around the ear). I find those much more comfortable than on-ear headphones and I have quite a large head and ears. I personally wear the HD650 every day, for most of the day and I've never had to remove them for discomfort. I work from home and often forget I've got them on. The HD600 and 650's would need to be amped (I use the Graham Slee Solo amp + vdac), so I'd go for the HD598 if you're on a budget, as they're only 50 ohms and won't need to be amped. I also have thBeyerdynamics DT990 pro, but I don't think they're that comfortable and don't really fit that well around my ears.

On-ear headphones, such as the HD25-1 II sound great, but can get quite uncomfortable due to their heavy clamping. I bought them a few weeks ago, only to return them for that reason. I know the clamping gets better with time, but I was looking for closed back to use with my phone and ended up getting the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (which are fairly comfortable). Also tried V-Moda LP2, but they're too small to go around my ears. Personally, I've tried a few on-ear headphones and only the KOSS PortaPro can be worn for many hours without discomfort, although I'd only recommend them as a portable headphone.

Do you have any preference between open or closed back headphones?

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #15 of 19
^ x2 on Senn HD25-1; it's not the most comfy phone in the world, but it has to clamp hard to get that level of isolation. A bit of trial and error though--when it comes to comfort there is no guarantee short of trying it yourself.

FWIW I like Beyer's comfort, and just tried some Denons: the Denons (D1100, D2000, D5000) all felt very comfortable, with the D2k/D5k clamping much less than the D1100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back