most comfortable closed heaphones (=<$200)
Jul 2, 2013 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

icewind

New Head-Fier
Audio Technica ATH AD700 headphone user here.  hi :)

Love these headphones for the comfort level.  I get headaches quite easily, and a lot of different headphones give me one by being too tight on the ears and even sometimes too enclosed (ie airtight that it feels like my ears will pop).

However the problem is I need a can with good noise isolation (so I don't hear the outside world :wink: ).  From the looks the Audio Technica ATH-A500 looks nice and comfortable and the ATH-M50 comes recommended as closed cans.  Comfort similar to the AD700s would be great, and is my highest requirement along with noise isolation and then quality.

Budget of around $200 though I could be pursuaded to go up to $300 if it really really is worth it.  (xonar dg as amp).  I play a little bit of music (all sorts) but will mainly be watching hd quality tv and movies.

Suggestions?

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Can try Sony MDR-1 for comfort
Not sure about noise isolation coz only had chance to try it at the local headphone store during their quiet period

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 5
   Try the Sony XB line if you're in for soft pillows on your ears. Like what akhyar said, the MDR-1R is a good choice as well. The 1R comes in 3 variants: The normal 1R, the wirelesst BT variant, and the noise-cancelling NC version. All three are similar, but from my experience the original is best for you.
   If you'd like, IEMs are great at sound isolation, and if you choose to go custom, you'll get comfort as well, though CIEMs are far from your price target.

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 5
I'd put Beyerdynamic DT770 there also. Beyers from DT770 all the way to T1 are pretty much the comfiest headphone brand I know. Noise isolation is a little bit less spectacular though. You might wanna look at closed headphones intended for mobile use if you really want good noise isolation.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I'd put Beyerdynamic DT770 there also. Beyers from DT770 all the way to T1 are pretty much the comfiest headphone brand I know. Noise isolation is a little bit less spectacular though. You might wanna look at closed headphones intended for mobile use if you really want good noise isolation.

Well, many of the Beyers you mentioned are semi-open, so like you said, NI isn't good. But even then, OP said NI's second priority, so it might be worth a try. I haven't seen Beyers in my area except online though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back