Most bullet-proof earbuds for <$50?
Nov 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #16 of 26

Quote:
What are you doing to your headphones that they keep breaking?  A big killer is wrapping them around an ipod, if that's what you're doing then stop!

If you're really after durability make sure you use a case for them as well. 

Nope, I just use them a lot. My old (crappy, but expensive) around-head skullcandies kept cracking because I put them on my head so much. I'm not sure why my earbuds always break, I think some break because they get yanked around a bit. Hence the need for thicker (and replaceable) cables.

Also, as a side question, A)what are some affordable replacement cables and B)what is a good, cheap headphone case I can use? I see the HJE900s come with no hard case.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #17 of 26
you can always read my last post
wink.gif
 EP212 Review - Dirt Cheap, HiFi quality. Better believe it

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 26
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Do you mind if I ask why?

Thanks. At this point though, I have my heart set on replaceable cables.

Also, my question still stands-where do I buy replacement cables or a small hard case?

I found their sound to be very boring and lacking in micro-detail, most people love them though, so if you are set on finding something with removable cables and great built quality they might fit the bill. 

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #20 of 26

Quote:
I found their sound to be very boring and lacking in micro-detail, most people love them though, so if you are set on finding something with removable cables and great built quality they might fit the bill. 

Keep in mind impressions like this are usually compared to $200-$300 IEMs not Skullcandys.  I got rid of mine too, but strongly endorse them.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 26
Well I enjoy them the times I do use them but it's not that often since I have better alternatives. If I had $90 to spend and wanted a good sounding earphones that has good build quality with detachable cables the HJE900 would be it. I don't find them boring at all however but they are not for everyone since not everyone enjoy a V shaped signature and the cables are a bit short but that is solved by buying a Sleek Audio replacement cable.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
I don't find them boring at all 

Same, pretty aggressive sounding actually.  i know other phones that match that attribute far better.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Keep in mind impressions like this are usually compared to $200-$300 IEMs not Skullcandys.  I got rid of mine too, but strongly endorse them.

My impressions are compared to my $70 cans, but anyway, to elaborate I think their bass was very engaging but their mids were insufferably boring. Great for bassheads I would think, but not for me!

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 26
I have some Altec Lansing UHP 336's that I like (rebranded UE Superfi 3's).  Decent build quality and they have detachable cables.  I paid $55 for mine but Amazon has had them as low as $30 in the past, might be worth checking out.

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 26

Quote:
My impressions are compared to my $70 cans, but anyway, to elaborate I think their bass was very engaging but their mids were insufferably boring. Great for bassheads I would think, but not for me!

Well my M50's are CANS that blow away a lot of $200-$300 IEMs.  So I'll stick to what I said.  
wink_face.gif
  I agree w/ your mids comment but its much more versatile than basshead music, great w/ rock and such.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 26
OK, well now that I've waited a few days to decide on the headphones I guess the HJE900s might as well go on my b-day list for now. I'll wait to see if someone buys them for me first, then it's up to me I guess.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back