Most bullet-proof earbuds for <$50?
Nov 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

wyager

Head-Fier
I'm pretty rough on my earbuds, I guess, because it seems that I break them every few months. Right now my crappy $20 skullcandies only work in one ear, and that's after I chopped off the other earbud and soldered the wires together. (BTW, these headphones were my last choice, I only got them because I had to, I realize that SCs are NOT a good brand.) Anyway, I'm tired of warrantying all my headphones all the time, and I'm tired of them crapping out on me. For a while I've been searching for some really durable buds, and I've found a few good recommendations but the earbuds people say are the best (ie thickest wire, most durable connections) never seem to be available anymore. So are there any really tough earbuds with some really thick wire (no more 28 gauge trash), in the low price range (<$50) and that are still available (preferably on Amazon)? 
Thanks in advance!

Also, sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place or anything, as you can see I'm new to the forum. 
smile_phones.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 26
if you can up your budget by 10 bucks then you can get the Brainwavz M2's. they have great build quality. thick strong cabling with very durable strain reliefs. and of course they sound great. they have a warm/dark/bassy sound that is loads of fun.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 26

Quote:
if you can up your budget by 10 bucks then you can get the Brainwavz M2's. they have great build quality. thick strong cabling with very durable strain reliefs. and of course they sound great. they have a warm/dark/bassy sound that is loads of fun.

Thanks jason, they look pretty nice. I can't seem to find them on amazon, so do you have any recommendations for where to buy them from?

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 26

MP4nation.net is the only place to get them. they are not on amazon.

Quote:
Thanks jason, they look pretty nice. I can't seem to find them on amazon, so do you have any recommendations for where to buy them from?

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 26
Try to find some HJE900s for $75-$79.  Detachable cables, Zirconium housings and some of the best sound around in IEMs.  J&R.com used to have them at that price.  Might want to give them a call.  

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
MP4nation.net is the only place to get them. they are not on amazon.

Thanks. I found them right after I asked.

Quote:
Try to find some HJE900s for $75-$79.  Detachable cables, Zirconium housings and some of the best sound around in IEMs.  J&R.com used to have them at that price.  Might want to give them a call.  

Those guys are a bit out of my price range. (and still $90 on J&R) I like the detachable cable though... Considering the cable is the thing that breaks most of the time.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #7 of 26
I think the new Brainwavz ProAlpha is even a tiny bit sturdier than the M2 since the cable relief is integrated with the housing so there's no chance of it coming off. They're still on preorder though. Either one is a good choice in my book. There's also the Meelec M11+ but that should be a bit higher than $50. 

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:

OK... Now you've gotten me thinking. Say my budget was $90, is there anything better for durability than the HJE900s in this price range? I REALLY like the idea of replaceable cables.

Quote:
I think the new Brainwavz ProAlpha is even a tiny bit sturdier than the M2 since the cable relief is integrated with the housing so there's no chance of it coming off. They're still on preorder though. Either one is a good choice in my book. There's also the Meelec M11+ but that should be a bit higher than $50. 

OK, thanks.

Nov 2, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
OK... Now you've gotten me thinking. Say my budget was $90, is there anything better for durability than the HJE900s in this price range? I REALLY like the idea of replaceable cables.

No.  The housing are basically pseudo diamond material.  Unless a 20,000 carat diamond falls on them they should be fine.  Nothing has a better cable and housing design in the price range to my knowledge.

Don't forget also they will make your SCs sound like pooh in comparison so thats a plus.

Call J&R and give them some story about missing out on the $79 deal.  I would be shocked if they didn't try to help you save a few clams.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 26

Quote:
No.  The housing are basically pseudo diamond material.  Unless a 20,000 carat diamond falls on them they should be fine.  Nothing has a better cable and housing design in the price range to my knowledge.

Don't forget also they will make your SCs sound like pooh in comparison so thats a plus.

Call J&R and give them some story about missing out on the $79 deal.  I would be shocked if they didn't try to help you save a few clams.

OK, so now I'm seriously considering them. But how much better than they than the brainwavs? $30 is a big discrepancy if there's not a big benefit, but I'm really starting to like the idea... Also, how's the warranty? On all my other "expensive" hobbies in this range, I'm used to at least some form of lifetime warranty, so that would be a plus for either model.

And amazon has the "RP-HJE900-K" model, which I'm guessing is the same thing... just making sure.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
OK, so now I'm seriously considering them. But how much better than they than the brainwavs? $30 is a big discrepancy if there's not a big benefit, but I'm really starting to like the idea... Also, how's the warranty? On all my other "expensive" hobbies in this range, I'm used to at least some form of lifetime warranty, so that would be a plus for either model.

And amazon has the "RP-HJE900-K" model, which I'm guessing is the same thing... just making sure.

Around these parts the only things w/ lifetime warranties are Monster turbine Pros or Koss products to my knowledge.  As you know that is a guarantee of replacability not durability.

Nov 2, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #13 of 26
In the <30$ price range, ECCI PR200 are pretty solid although the 1.8"/3.5mm plug is not as strong as the rest.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 26
What are you doing to your headphones that they keep breaking?  A big killer is wrapping them around an ipod, if that's what you're doing then stop!

If you're really after durability make sure you use a case for them as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back