Most bizarre album of you've heard? [any genre]
Feb 6, 2013 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

darwinvsjesus

Head-Fier
I was listening to Thergothon yesterday, and I dozed off. I guess the gentle sounds of Thergothon's peaceful gurgles made me sleepy. Anyway, I woke up sort of hazy a little while later and the cd hadn't ended. It's simply the most strange, surreal, dream-like cd I've ever heard. It feels like being taken to another desolate planet and hearing only wind.

SO, most bizarre albums?

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 51
I haven't heard  Yggdrasil, but They're on my list. I blew all my Itunes gift cards on Haggard albums. So whenever I get to it...I'm intrigued. Oraansi Pazuzu is pretty weird. They are "Psychedelic black metal".

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 51
nothing?  nobody has heard music they thought was just too bizarre? George Crumb? John Zorn? [usually] even animal collective is a little strange. I was looking forward to hearing some stuff :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #5 of 51
Well, your thread reminded me of an album I hadn't listened to in quite awhile. The album is "Stateless" by Lene Lovich originally released in 1979:

Now, the thing is, it may not be bizarre enough to meet your qualifications. I mean, it's a post-punk pop album, or what got called "New Wave" at the time. It's a pop album, so not all that weird. The albums by Devo were probably weirder than this one. Lene Lovich really does have a pretty bizarre vocal style though. Anyway, it's well recorded and I actually think it's quite good. If you want to hear some female vocals that are off the beaten path, it's got them. I guess I would say at least it's unique, rather than truly bizarre. I'm glad your thread reminded me of it.

For something much more recent, try this one:

This album by Broadcast was just released in January 2013. It is the soundtrack for an indie film. It sounds like the soundtrack for some weird 1960s horror movie. If you think you might like something that sounds like a horror movie soundtrack, check it out.

Anyway, those are just two albums that came to mind. Neither one is going to qualify as the weirdest or most bizarre stuff ever, but they're both a little out of the ordinary at least. I'd say they're both worth a spin.

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 51
As for metal, I can quote Drudkh - Forgotten legends, Mantus - Deep hypnosis trance and, less "bizarre" but still special, Killing joke - Hosannas from the basements of Hell. These three albums have a strong effect on me, and I really love it. Hell - Hell is another species of "bizarre" metal, but I haven't listened to it enough yet.

For other genres, I'd say Autechre - all of their albums, Monkey - Journey to the westFlying Lotus - Cosmogramma, which I really like, Moss, Otto & Schulte - The day we forgot, and the album that always makes me flabbily happy by clearing my mind and gently rocking it within soft clouds of euphonic simplicity TBA (the album with red little flowers on a white background - the album doesn't seem to have a name).

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 51
Thanks everyone. I have to also bring up Demilich's nespithe (which they give away in flac and ogg formats for free on their website). This album is death metal from outer space. It's insanely complex, almost mathematical. The lyrics came in a hand-written cryptogram. The song's are given titles like when the sun drank the weight of water (this always made me imagine an extraterrestrial entity with an understanding of physics that we don't have) and the sixteenth six-toothed son of 14 4-regional dimensions. Very bizarre. Given the level of detail that went into the music, I have to imagine there's some esoteric meaning I'm missing. Oh, and the vocals. This man has the most strange, vle, terrifying, unearthly vocals you'll ever hear. Sounds like a 100 foot tall reptilian monster.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 51
Richard Foreman's theater production of Zorn's "Astronome" was pretty out there. (The NY Times reviewed it: http://theater.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/theater/reviews/14bran.html?_r=0 )  You can buy it on DVD if you like that sort of thing. I'm a big fan of Zorn but it was a bit much for me...

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 51
Probably "The Lung Tree". Some kind of electronic/jazz nonsense. http://www.discogs.com/Eric-Glick-Rieman-Lesli-Dalaba-Stuart-Dempster-Lung-Tree/release/1534572

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 51

Otomo Yoshihide's Cathode
Buy by The Contortions
Sleeping Star by Epic Soundtracks

Three albums whose weirdness was so distracting I've never been able to listen to them all the way through, but they made things that were clearly intended to be what they are, so all I can really say is that their art is on a plane I'm unqualified to appreciate.

Honorable mentions to MX-80's, Von LMO's, and Daniel Johnson's albums, which are amazing outsider art but I find them enjoyable enough to listen to regularly.

There are lots more but this is what came to mind after a couple minutes of thought.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:
Richard Foreman's theater production of Zorn's "Astronome" was pretty out there. (The NY Times reviewed it: http://theater.nytimes.com/2009/02/14/theater/reviews/14bran.html?_r=0 )  You can buy it on DVD if you like that sort of thing. I'm a big fan of Zorn but it was a bit much for me...

I love john zorn. He did a few [well, he didn't do a few of anything] albums in the vein of George Crumb, I believe.  First Zorn I heard was Litanies,  then Naked City stuff, then I heard  "Miller's Crake" and felt a What headache for a while.  I always imagine his saxophone is a goose at a fancy restaurant choking on a hardroll. 

Elegy was a great album. Very strange.

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #12 of 51
I have to point out an obvious one. Anybody see the film Izo? Takashi Miike put it out? Audtion, Ichi the Killer, that guy. In izo he has this guy playing guitar randomly behind the action at several points.

Kazuki Tomokawa. I wish someone I knew spoke japanese because one of his songs really resonates with me and I have no idea why. His music is strange. At least from Izo.

Also, less bizarre, more eclectic, is Cusco. What a wonderful musician that man is. (I think it's one guy) 

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

I love john zorn. He did a few [well, he didn't do a few of anything] albums in the vein of George Crumb, I believe.  First Zorn I heard was Litanies,  then Naked City stuff, then I heard  "Miller's Crake" and felt a What headache for a while.  I always imagine his saxophone is a goose at a fancy restaurant choking on a hardroll. 

Elegy was a great album. Very strange.

I love him too. I've given up on trying to be a completist... he seems to be accelerating his output and I just can't keep up, let alone keep digging into his back catalog. I have about 80 of his albums. The funny thing about him is that you can be a huge Zorn fan and have 80 of his albums, and someone else can be a huge Zorn fan with 50 of his albums, and we can like completely different kinds of music with no overlap
biggrin.gif

I actually don't have Elegy or any Naked City... (I've heard Naked City and just didn't feel the need to buy it - not my favorite)  I tend more towards the chamber jazz and Masada material, and some of the contemporary classical stuff... and occasionally one of the stranger ones will hit me just right (like Dictee/Liber Novus, love that one, and it's a real treat on good headphones).

I'm going to Minneapolis in a couple of months with some friends to see this insane 10-hour concert marathon he's doing - a couple of game pieces, Book of Heads (which would fit right into this thread), three Masada bands, Enigmata (that one will be, er, interesting live) as well as The Concealed and Nova Express. Oh, and a midnight solo pipe organ performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back