Most bassy closed, un-amped (Thru MiniDisk) for $150 USD or less?
Mar 13, 2004 at 8:24 AM Post #17 of 38
Sorry about the awayness...

I'm Canadian and proud, beotch
biggrin.gif

Ugh... yeah... so what's the verdict? My dad's going to buy them with my debit while I'm at work tomorrow so I kinda need to tell him what to pick up... will the 7506's be a good bet? ($199 CDN)

I'm skeptical about buying online so I only wanna buy from stores (plus the no credit card deal kinda screws me over), and if I dont like them I can always return them... but it's such a far drive
blink.gif

Sooo yeah... will the 7506's be good?

Hmm... In case anyone has a minute, pop in the CD or dload the song "Go to Sleep" by eminem, obie trice, and dr dre... In the background there's this amazingly low bass tone that my previous 700dj's couldnt do dick with, will they be able to reach lows like that better than the 700's?

And will the mid bass be enough to compare up to the 700dj's so I'm not left thinking "Wow these suck"?

Mar 13, 2004 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by blackthorne
so I'm not left thinking "Wow these suck"?

Like you said, if you don't like them you can take them back, so you're probably best trying them for yourself. I have no idea if those cans need to be burned in or not, but it probably wouldn't hurt to give them at least a few days before you decide if you like them or not.

Mar 13, 2004 at 12:24 PM Post #20 of 38
Ah OK... Canadian? Perhaps it's the name which threw me off... it's a cider here.

The 7506 should be OK with the MD. One I got over the signature of the 7506, I did find it a little lacking with the Sony MD's both in terms of output power and the flavour that the 7506 gave to the MD but the warm nature of the Sharp MD's were quite a good partner for the 7506. They are harder to drive than the V700 so putting on lots of bass EQ will still cause the phones to go tinny or to distort.

The lighter weight of the 7506 contributed to higher comfort, but in terms of on-ear ergonomics I didn't find the 7506 much better than the V700. Your results may vary.

Mar 13, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 38
If you are looking for inexpensive, bulletproof bass, then portapros won't dissappoint. Just don't expect refinement to be thrown into the mix. But, great sound when bass is a "must". I actually have to turn the bass boost off on the ipod to use em.

And cheap.

TonyAAA

Mar 13, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 38
Transducers don't clip, amps do. If you're getting clipping with the V700 then its load is too much for your MD's headphone jack with bass boost on. Either get a headphone amp, turn off bass boost, get lower impedence headphones, or buy a new MD player. I doubt very much a MD player could actually cause a Sony V700 to distort due to overdriving the transducer itself.

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #23 of 38
As I said, it's perfectly possible to cause an MD/PCDP amp to clip with full bass boost on with the V700. This will be interpreted as distortion by the inexperienced... and the informed will know that it is not possible for an MD amp to cause the V700 to distort. By the same token, other less efficient phones will cause the amp to clip sooner. If the bass of the V700 + full bass boost is not enough for the poster, then it is unlikely that a 7506 will satisfy in terms of bass volume. That's my logic at least. Either way it's best to wean yourself off from demanding too much bass.

Mar 13, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 38
blakcthorne, I second the others in this case. No portable MD or CD player is designed to be played at full volume and with the bass boost all the way to max both at once. The better-designed circuits (mostly older players) actually reduce or turn off the bass boost when the volume gets turned up past a certain point. But today's players neither reduce nor disable the bass boost when the volume is turned up, making the sound distort and clip badly with any pair of headphones when the volume is turned up -- because the portable player's headphone out delivers too little voltage to begin with! Your desire for a super-loud sound with ultra bass boost doesn't exist at all in any portable device -- especially not newer ones. You'll need a biggish amp in order to do that. Barring that, you'll have to hunt for an old, used portable palyer in working condition. Newer players just can't handle your desires.

Mar 14, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #25 of 38
I don't see where I said that I want it to be really loud... it's not that loud when I put it on 17/30ish, I just want it to get a good beat.... the 700dj's bass was HELLA enough to satisfy my cravings, except the lower tones were severely lacking.... that's what attracted me to the 7506's was that lots of people said the lower bass was very strong, and I like that. I just want to know if the mid bass will be able to compare up to (not match, but not sound like ****) compared to the 700's...

But anyway, I'm 95% sure I'm going to get to the store tomorrow after work, so I'll tell you the outcome tomorrow.

BTW, do the 7506's need a good hundred + hours of burn-in to reach full potential or will the out of the box sound be pretty accurate to what they'll sound like later down the road

Mar 14, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #27 of 38
I have to go with the V6. The V6 is amazing at its own. It will perform at 90% of its potential unamped. With proper amplification, the V6 sounds slightly more refine. The bass is the V6's best features, while brittle high and slightly unfocused midrange are the area needing of improvements.

Purk

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #28 of 38
The lower bass will not be lacking compared to the V700 but the mid bass will be. Personally, with a power limited source I ended up preferring the 7509 (the sonic equivalent of the V700 but lighter and much more comfortable) to the 7506 for general listening. The only way you can know for sure is to try it yourself.

Mar 15, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #29 of 38
The 7506 should have enough bass. I found it easily driven.

For my minidisc unamped pleasure I use a koss ksc35, portapro outside walking and inside I really really like the Beyer 250-80.

The beyer's just look too big outside otherwise i'd wear 'em there too.

Mar 15, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #30 of 38
If you ever feel like listening to brute crap... try on some Koss Plugs. If you got $15 sitting in your pocket, and you feel like blowing it off on something a slight bit more useless than alcohol or hookers, just get yourself a pair.

These are great phones for that guy who listens to music via prepackaged earbuds + portable amp on the bus, and everyone can hear his music clearly.

I havn't ever seen a more efficient pair of phones, with so much raw bass power. The ability to keep that bass in order and replicate it without feeling like you've just inundated your ears with mud is kinda lacking... but it'll bring you some fun for 5 minutes of your life.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back