Most bassy closed, un-amped (Thru MiniDisk) for $150 USD or less?
Mar 12, 2004 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

blackthorne

New Head-Fier
Well, I've completely given up... I have no idea what I should buy. I bought 700Dj's, lots of bass, lots of distortion, everyone here said there was much brighter roads to be taken, so I returned them. Was gonna buy 7506's but some people told me their bass was quite weak if not used with an amp. Heard great stuff about the Beyer DT770's, but they're a bit pricey... may be able to find.. how are they?

So yeah... I've completely given up on trying to find some cups for myself... anyone have any suggestions on some headphones that will fulfill that orgasmic bass experience I've been craving while not totally screwing up the original sound quality?

Most important things for you to know is :
1) I listen to 90% heavy-bassed techno/rap music, a little bit of classical
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

2) Being used totally unamped... through my MD, no help at all...
3) They don't have to have like... godlike clear sound, all that matters is it can hold a good "boom boom boom" beat without having the song get all scratchy, crackly, etc.
4) Must be closed... I tend to listen to music my family doesn't really... agree with, I guess I could say, so I don't really want them hearing what I'm groovin to.

Thx everyone for all the help you've given me over the past week or so... if any of you need... ugh... well I have nothing to offer, just thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 38
Yeah.. what bangra said...

but most phones can handle it.. like.. all my other "lesser" headphones dont seem to have problems with lots of bass, but I don't listen to it with the sound cranked, usually 15/30-19/30....

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 38
I find many things tend to distort over about 2/3 of max, so 19/30 is quite high. On most devices I usually use 10-20%.

I think you need sensitive 'phones. Beware of the DT250 that someone offered above, I had the DT250-250 with an amp and the bass sucked. The AKG 271 is far better.

Like I probably said on the other thread, the A900 or A500 are probably going to be pretty good for you. Wait for them to come up in the 2nd hand forum if you need to. I wouldn't go looking for 'phones that have an overly strong bass, i'd go for good cans that reproduce sound accurately, then use your bass boost.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 38
Well, perhaps the DT770s will work for you after all. They have a massive amount of bass, especially with a good amp. Surprisingly, I don't think they are as hard to drive as people around here claim, and they run fine out of my PCDP, without distortion.

If the 770 is what you want, however, there is a new version (supposedly) that is 80 Ohms, and with increased sensitivity, would match well to a portable.

I've given these things a 15dB bass boost without bottoming out at 50hz-100hz. ~6dB without distortion.

Maybe what you should look for however, is a combination of a headphone and an amplifier, because many sources clip way to easily.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by commando
...Beware of the DT250 that someone offered above, I had the DT250-250 with an amp and the bass sucked...

Commando the DT250-250 is not the headphone I mentioned previously. In my opinion they were anything but lacking bass. The 250-250 has a higher impedance and rates lower than the 250-80's by headphone.com's opinion.

Lemme ask you a question:
Do you only have a pair of 18" subs in your car? Do you find they give you a balanced sound? If you answered yes to these questions you may be a bass-head
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 38
The thing is that if a V700 distorts with his settings due to clipping, then even phones like the HD280 will distort more. You can forget even the DT250-80 in that scenario. The only options in this case would be the likes of the HD25-1 and the E5. I don't have a european-limited discman or MD right now, but some of them are absolutely pathetic in their output. Bass boost just makes most phones clip almost immediately.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #9 of 38
superjohnny, that's just what I found. On my setup, compared with the AKG271, the 250-250 is definitely lacking bass. It could be that there something wrong with my setup, but given that the 271 is good I doubt it's that. I was suprised, because the reason I bought the 250 was because headroom recommended it, and their graphs showd that it had better bass respsonse than the 271.

I think that question was for someone else... but i'm not a basshead - I like my bass in proportion, but clear and strong.

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #11 of 38
Neither here
basshead.gif

compared to the v700, the V6 does not have much lower mid bass, but it has quite a sub bass which makes my head shake

Currently using my V6 with the ER4P-24 cable
eek.gif
makes it sound gooood
basshead.gif

UNAMPED ALWAYS

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 38
I agree, my V6 are very sweet, specially in the lower frecuencies. But I also think they wont be the solution, I think the sources amp is the problem.

Mar 12, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #15 of 38
Without an amp the Sony V6 simply rules. Cans like the Beyer DT770 and other high impedance cans need an amp to bring out the basshead in them. The 32ohm Sonys can make just about any basshead happy with just the output of a simple PCDP or PMDP like you have. My el cheapo Sony PCDP rocks with the Sony V6s I have on hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back