Most balanced and transparent full-sized headphones?
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a tough call. The only closed headphones I've heard with superb transparency are the Sony R10 and Beyerdynamic DT48. The R10 is a little outside your budget, though the D48 isn't. However, the DT48 is extremely polarizing - you'd either love or hate them. At the meet yesterday, IpodPJ thought they were some of the worst headphones he's ever heard. I still think they're magically transparent in the mids - especially with acoustic music. If you're not into acoustic, skip them. If you are, give them a try before you buy them. You'll either be in love or wonder what the hell is wrong with my ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1. If you want details, try the DT48 but be careful what you wish for. It was kind of a waste of money for me. I probably wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for erik talking it up..... so thanks a lot buddy!

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 53
Budget of 400$ and lower, only K701/2, DT250 and possibly DT48 are the ones that fit for neutral headphones. I highly recommend K701/2.

I find SA5000 too aggressive at high.

Jul 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Yeah, I actually find a fully burnt-in pair of K701's to be quite neutral and transparent... so something along those lines. There might be something better?

Which reminds me:

Why do you say so?

(and it's time to strangle an aardvark now
k701smile.gif
)

DT880

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 53
By far the most neutral/balanced cans out there are studio monitors such as ATH-M40. These are not, however, the most transparent (really transparent phones are generally open.)

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 53
I too wasted a pile of dosh on dt48s after reading the bulled up reports on them. The very worst hi fi purchase I've ever suckered myself into.
Take it from me they are seriously bad - I've got a newish pair here which will probably sit in a drawer until I fill a wooden suit.
They are coloured beyond belief, desperately rolled off a the frequency extremes and cloud up into a vague haze of sound when hit with more than a duo or trio.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #22 of 53
HD600s can sound very transparent depending upon the amp/source so that does play into the equation.
That's why it's hard to find the "Most" anything as their are dependencies.
Different people have heard different headphones under different conditions so there'll be alot of different answers.
I'd say that the HD600s can be very transparent and neutral...just hear it out of the Zana or the new Balancing Act.
For your price and of those I've heard, how about the HF2s?
For a higher price, I'd say K1000s

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #23 of 53
A properly amped DT880 600ohm (on a EAR HP4) is still the most neutral sound that I can still remember. The highs were good and the bottom end was really there. I don't think they would ever be described as Bassy. =)

On Closed cans. The most neutral that I've personally owned and tried is the Sony Studio Monitor MDR-CD900st. IMO it doesn't have a coloration with a very good high and with an ample amount of BASS. But compared to teh DT880 properly amped the CD900st is leaning to the brighter side by half a notch. What I liked about these cans. It can give you the sound signature of the source or the amp.

Didn't really liked the 701. This is a personal preference though. =(

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First off, I'm not a fan of supra-aural cans, so most Grados are out of the question.

Secondly, I shot a question to the Portables forum and got the general impression that the Etymotic E4RS & Westone UM3X are the most balanced and transparent IEM's out there.

So now, I just want to know what the most neutral/balanced and transparent pair of full-sized headphones are out there.

I'm just going by the definitions here, btw: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/des...ossary-220770/

I want the most un-colored, clear, natural and accurate representation of the recorded music as much as possible because I listen to too many varying kinds of music. That's why I ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Kindly note that I'll be using an D10 to drive these. The rest of my gear is sig'ed
smily_headphones1.gif

Not exactly looking to buy... I'm just interested in what's out there. But as per TheMarchingMule's advice I better state a budget so as not to get recommendations that are out of this world, so:

Projected Budget: $400

The DT48s or DT48e.. Albeit, the transducer was made with acoustics in mind, & sound best with unamped instruments.. & have some audiophile 'baggage'.. Neutral bass, (great in theory, bad in practice for headphones, if you listen to rock, hip hop) & lacking warmth. Not the last word when it comes to treble.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by buggalugs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too wasted a pile of dosh on dt48s after reading the bulled up reports on them. The very worst hi fi purchase I've ever suckered myself into.
Take it from me they are seriously bad - I've got a newish pair here which will probably sit in a drawer until I fill a wooden suit.
They are coloured beyond belief, desperately rolled off a the frequency extremes and cloud up into a vague haze of sound when hit with more than a duo or trio.

They are really bad..
beerchug.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #26 of 53
You might want to try the ATH M50, there are great reviews on Amazon, Gearslutz, etc...

They say they are really "natural and accurate", and at a great price too...

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT48s or DT48e.. Albeit, the transducer was made with acoustics in mind, & sound best with unamped instruments.. & have some audiophile 'baggage'.. Neutral bass, (great in theory, bad in practice for headphones, if you listen to rock, hip hop) & lacking warmth. Not the last word when it comes to treble.

So why do you like them? Do you only listen to one kind of music?
confused_face(1).gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #28 of 53
Grado for the win on transparency under $1K.
Stax for the win on transparency above $1K.

Senns sound good but transparency is not a word that comes to mind versus these other brands.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You better state your budget before you get recommendations for the HD800.
wink.gif

And I'll strangle an aardvark for every time somebody recommends the K701/K702. Sure it seems neutral, but it's darn far from natural.

I agree on the AKG phones. We have tried several and they distort strings horribly. The K271s are especially bad.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #30 of 53
Owning both the SA5000 and the DT880, I would say the DT880 is more transparent than the SA5000. The SA5000 is more revealing, clean and precise, but there is a consistent colouration that hops from 1 recording to the next. The DT880 is a total chameleon and is different with each recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back